The Student Room Group

Helpppppp

Heyy. Posting this in this section cause I want to be anon.

Umm so, I'm quite overweight (13st 9lbs) and 5'10 (girl)

Idk how to lose weight or where to start. You see, I tend to comfort eat and feel quite peckish at times. I've always been increasing in weight since I was like 10, and never got it off. Now I really feel like its affecting me as a person and my confidence and (this is going to sound so lame) how guys friend zone me and treat other pretty normal sized girls better. But that's not that important, just a factor. Has anyone here had a drastic weight loss? and how much in what time did you lose it if you don't mind me asking?
And advice on how to start dropping weight and build/tone my body would be great. And any diet advice?
I'm just sick of feeling worthless, hating myself when I look in the mirror, feeling ugly all the time, but yet still feel completely clueless in what to do?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

Idk how to lose weight or where to start. You see, I tend to comfort eat and feel quite peckish at times. I've always been increasing in weight since I was like 10, and never got it off. Now I really feel like its affecting me as a person and my confidence and (this is going to sound so lame) how guys friend zone me and treat other pretty normal sized girls better. But that's not that important, just a factor. Has anyone here had a drastic weight loss? and how much in what time did you lose it if you don't mind me asking?
And advice on how to start dropping weight and build/tone my body would be great. And any diet advice?
I'm just sick of feeling worthless, hating myself when I look in the mirror, feeling ugly all the time, but yet still feel completely clueless in what to do?

Hi,

As you haven't got much of a reply in relationships I have moved this over to fitness where hopefully someone will be able to help you.
I SO know how you feel! In my first year, I gained loads of weight and all the guys I fancied just seemed to be interested in the skinny girls. I was really lucky though for my birthday that year my mum got me a couple of personal trainer sessions and now I am a fitness addict! I would really recommend saving up for a couple of sessions because now 2 years later I can safely say it was the best thing ever for me and my confidence!
Read the fitness FAQ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

You don't need a gym membership or a personal trainer to lose weight (though granted they can be great motivators). Weight loss is VERY simple. After you read this post you will honestly need no other information, because most of the stuff you will read on the internet about weight loss will be complete and utter nonsense fuelled by a weight loss industry interested in only one thing, your money and your ignorance...not your health. And this ridiculous information is then perpetuated by other ignorant people who don't have a clue what they are talking about giving shoddy advice.

You won't lose weight (and subsequently fat) unless you are at a calorie deficit (when you eat less calories than your body needs to maintain its weight).

Firstly you need to find a new coping mechanism than comfort eating, you need to get to the root of what if making you comfort eat and find something else to do. Regardless of what you eat as comfort food it is an unhealthy coping mechanism that gives you an unhealthy relationship with food.

Secondly work out your TDEE:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculato...alculator.html

Your TDEE is the amount of calories you body needs per day to maintain its current weight. It is dependant on your height, age, weight, gender, activity level and in some cases medical conditions. Now if you're exercising this will raise your TDEE so be sure to pick the correct activity level, but remember to be honest with yourself. Don't pick a high activity level if you're only exercising 3 times a week for half an hour, that little exercise won't raise your TDEE that much and if you're unsure it's probably better to pick the lower activity level when trying to lose weight.

The logistics of weight loss are very simple, if you eat less calories than your body burns in a day you will lose weight, if you eat on par with your calorific needs you will maintain weight and if you eat above your calorific needs you gain weight.

Ignore anyone telling you to go on ridiculous detoxes, telling you to cut out entire food groups (such as carbs, fats ect) or fad diets, and if you have a habit of doing those then stop it. They're pointless, don't work and are the lazy mans way out. Weight loss logistically is simple, so don't overcomplicate it or get sucked into fads and obsessive weight loss nonsense such as "fat burning foods" they're nonsense and lead people to failure. Also ignore anyone saying silly things like green tea helps you lose weight, it doesn't. It's complete nonsense. You could drink 3 litres of green tea a day and the effects on your weight will be non existent if you are not eating at a calorie deficit, people often read into these fads and do these things while also eating less as a result they get confirmation bias and for some reason think it's the green tea or the "fat burning foods" that give them results rather than their actual calorie restriction efforts. It's because people love quick fixes and want to believe it's easy.

once you have your TDEE all you need to do to ensure you lose weight is eat under that amount of calories. How much and how quickly you lose weight depends on how many less calories you eat. For example if you eat 500 calories less than your TDEE a day you will lose approximately 1lb a week (as 1lb of fat is approximately 3500 calories, 3500/500 = 7 days).

Don't be discouraged if you find some weeks you don't see the scale go down, sometimes you will see the scale go down a massive jump, sometimes steady and others nothing at all. Also be aware a fluctuation in a couple of lbs is perfectly normal this is fluid not fat, especially around the time of your menstrual cycle.

You should count your calories on www.myfitnesspal.com it's quick and easy. Be sure to be accurate when counting your calories, and don't forget things like sauces, drinks and oil when cooking these are things people often forget to count but can make a big calorific difference. If after 4-6 weeks you haven't seen a shift in the scales you're either not counting your calories accurately and are eating more than you think or you're not at a big enough deficit (remember TDEE is no 100% accurate but it is a good start) so reduce your calories by another couple of hundred calories and reassess in another 4-6 weeks. If after that you are still not shifting weight then a trip to the GP is necessary in case you have a metabolic condition (though it's unlikely it'll come to that)

In terms of diet, what food you eat has little to no affect on weight loss. It's the calories. However you should aim to eat a balanced diet not just for health reasons but also for satiation and to keep you sane. Don't get hung up on whether "eggs are healthy", so long as you eat foods in moderation you have very little to worry about.

Remember not to throw yourself in at the deep end or torture yourself with calorie goals that are too strict, because you will be miserable and you will almost certainly give up. You didn't get to this weight over night, so don't expect to reach your goal over night either.

If you find yourself plateauing in weight loss after losing quite a bit of weight that is likely because the less you weigh the lower your TDEE so you may no longer be in a large enough calorie deficit to keep maintaining your steady weight loss at the same amount of calories. So through your weight loss journey keep checking your TDEE and adjusting your calorific intake accordingly.

Once you have reached your weight loss goal (and you will) recalculate your TDEE as it will be lower. Eat that amount of calories a day on average and you will maintain your weight. As remember you can't just go back to eating as much as you did before, you got to this weight for a reason.

As you can see from this (probably too long) post weight loss is logistically very simple, it's sticking to it that is hard. If you're going to do this you're going to have to put your all into it, it is a lifestyle change and not a diet you have to leave your excuses at the door.
Original post by Angry cucumber

I sure do waffle on a lot.

I just copy and paste that post from other threads I've posted in now and make minor adjustments to suit the OPs specific situation.

I just wish it was common knowledge. It would save people so much time, hassle and struggle with weight loss. The fact this isn't compulsory taught in school baffles me.
Reply 7
My new favourite TDEE calculator, it's obvious to use once you play around with it for a second even though it looks complicated at first and is as accurate as you can possibly be

Quick Reply

Latest