The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
According to the 2005 census data for Canada, 44 percent of Pakistani-born immigrants in Canada were below the poverty line, being the second most poor group of immigrants in Canada, with many engineers, doctors and doctorates working as taxi drivers or security guards.Only 55 percent of Pakistani-born immigrants owned a home, and 44 percent lived in households with five or more people.On an average, the wages of Pakistani-born immigrants were 70 percent of that of Canadians.

http://www.dawn.com/news/718842/pakistani-canadians-falling-below-the-poverty-line

Same story different country
Original post by ssshah2
**** you kenyan too?

I was born in the UK, but parents and both grandmothers were born in Kenya.
Original post by simmys
Indo-Canadians are significantly more likely than the Canadian average to have a university degree, and most Indians in Canada are socio-economically middle class.[2] 54% of South Asians in Canada have household incomes greater than $60,000, compared to the 46% Canadian average. Canadian adults of East Indian origin are much less likely than other adults to live alone. In 2001, just 4% of the East Indian community aged 15 and over lived alone, compared with 13% of all adult Canadians. Seniors of East Indian origin are especially unlikely to live alone. That year, only 8% of Canadians of East Indian origin aged 65 and over lived alone, compared with 29% of all seniors in Canada. In contrast, seniors of East Indian origin are more likely than other seniors to live with members of their extended family. In 2001, 24% of seniors of East Indian origin lived with relatives, such as the family of a son or daughter, while only 5% of all seniors in Canada lived with relatives

Straight from statistics Canada. Also bare in mind mass Indian immigration to Canada didn't start until the 80s. Majority of young Indian-Canadians are first generation

When I said they're messed up I wasn't really talking about economics, more like things like huge levels of organised crime, gang violence/deaths, religious extremism/terrorism (like the Air India flight bombing), honour killings etc. These things seem to effect Indians in Canada much more than Indians in other Western countries.
Original post by simmys
According to the 2005 census data for Canada, 44 percent of Pakistani-born immigrants in Canada were below the poverty line, being the second most poor group of immigrants in Canada, with many engineers, doctors and doctorates working as taxi drivers or security guards.Only 55 percent of Pakistani-born immigrants owned a home, and 44 percent lived in households with five or more people.On an average, the wages of Pakistani-born immigrants were 70 percent of that of Canadians.

http://www.dawn.com/news/718842/pakistani-canadians-falling-below-the-poverty-line

Same story different country

Tbh Indian immigrants in Canada don't really do that great either

There seems to be an absolutely huge difference between Canadian Indians and Indian Americans, just like with Pakistani Canadians and Pakistani Anericans (also Chinese)

Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by Aztec123
When I said they're messed up I wasn't really talking about economics, more like things like huge levels of organised crime, gang violence/deaths, religious extremism/terrorism (like the Air India flight bombing), honour killings etc. These things seem to effect Indians in Canada much more than Indians in other Western countries.

LOL Indians particularly Sikhs are not extremists in Canada. Those attacks were a 1 time occurrence!

Like I mentioned rates of organized crime are only in BC, which have gone down significantly in the last 2 decades.

What honour killings? I can think of possibly 1-2 but there are far more in the Pakistani/Muslim communities.
Reply 125
Original post by Aztec123
Tbh Indian immigrants in Canada don't really do that great either

image.jpeg

There seems to be an absolutely huge difference between Canadian Indians and Indian Americans, just like with Pakistani Canadians and Pakistani Anericans (also Chinese)

Attachment not found

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/89-621-x/89-621-x2007004-eng.htm

I don't need you telling me what I see everyday in my own country lol. There is some recent information from statistics Canada

Also stats Canada unfortunately does not determine between the different countries of origin specifically.
four poorest of all ethno-racial groups, with more than 50 per cent of their members living below Statistics Canada's low-income cut-off, were Somalis, Afghans, Ethiopians and Bangladeshi populations all from predominately Muslim countries. At least 30 per cent of Pakistanis and West Asians also qualified as poor, according to a study done by the Institute for Social Research at York University in 2006, which looked at the demographic and social profiles of ethno-racial groups in the city.

Another thing - In 13 neighbourhoods deemed "at-risk" in Toronto by United Way, more than half have significant Muslim populations, including Flemingdon Park, Regent Park, Etobicoke North and Jane-Finch.

I see no mention of largely Indian populated cities such as Brampton, Mississauga, Oakville
(edited 7 years ago)
Immigrants from India (even those that are Muslim) tend to be less obsessed about religion than their South Asian counterparts. They are also more willing to mix with the locals, and another thing is that a large number of Indians in the UK come from a wealthier background (particularly those that emigrated from Uganda in the 70s), so they find it easier to network and access job opportunities. Additionally, most Indians are brought up speaking english, so they've already got a head start compared to other minorities.
Reply 127
Unfortunately drug trafficking is a huge problem in BC in general. Most gangs range from a variety of different ethnic groups as noted here : http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/canada-s-gang-hotspots-are-you-in-one-1.2912442

This phenomenon is not at all common in Alberta and Ontario the other densely Indian populated provinces
Original post by slaven
I do not speak about genetics. I speak about culture. The "Pakistanis" comiteed treason against their own ancestors and people for siding with the muslim invadors. They lost their claim on anything pre-muslim in "Pakistan".

so is the entirety of europe treasonous for abandoning paganism for christianity?
I'm of Indian origin, born and brought up in Kenya.
Most of the Indians in Kenya (including me) are Gujarati. Over the years, several have emigrated to the UK, USA, Canada and so on.
Whilst prior to emigration, they were all reasonably wealthy, most of these early emigrants lacked any special technical skills, but did have great business acumen, so they worked their socks off in their newly adopted homelands, and their children are the highly educated 'Indian kids' we all now and love (loathe?).
The same, however, can not be said of the immigrants from the other South Asian nations, who even though arrived at the same time, were extremely reluctant to assimilate into mainstream society, but instead expected their environs to accommodate them e.g. Bradford where politicians like George Galloway behave more radically Muslim than most Muslims I know simply to pander to the local populace in order to get an electoral advantage.
Their communal isolation can also explain why there are more Pakistani and Bangladeshi politicians in the UK, as the solidarity amongst these communities has lead to them presenting a more united political front, in contrast to the Indians (in western countries, not those in India who vote caste) where votes are cast based on socio-economic policies, and tend to be swing voters.

tl;dr Indians were more open to assimilation into mainstream society than the others, and worked smarter (not necessarily harder)
They should change the name British Columbia. Nothing British about it. Canada is a liberal disgrace, that name is not befitting of our great nation
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Erebor
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2010/11/work_benefits_and_ethnicity.html

The report is from a few years ago but it's only gotten worse since then.

Why are indians doing so well compared to these other groups and what can be done to get them off benefits and into work?
Don't you think it's interesting the people who are always the first to say how great indians or Asians are doing ....are RARELY indians or Asians themselves ?

Because I think about the Asian women working twelve hours a day in sweatshops to make clothes for people like you. And I wondered, in what sense were they doing so well ?

I thought about the Asian families whose members have to put in eighty hours a week just to keep their heads above water; and I wondered, in what sense were they doing so well?

I thought about the Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi taxi drivers up here in the N.West who endure crappy working conditions, customers who get angry about their accents, get their money robbed, often get called "Paki" and I wondered, in what sense were they doing so well ?

I think about Mosques who get bricks through their windows and Muslim women wearing a Burkha who get spat at in the street and I think - How are they doing so well ?

I think about the way every Asian in Rochdale is seen as a child sex offender, after that child sex ring scandal a few years back and I think how are they doing so well ?
Original post by PrincePaul57993
Don't you think it's interesting the people who are always the first to say how great indians or Asians are doing ....are RARELY indians or Asians themselves ?

Because I think about the Asian women working twelve hours a day in sweatshops to make clothes for people like you. And I wondered, in what sense were they doing so well ?

I thought about the Asian families whose members have to put in eighty hours a week just to keep their heads above water; and I wondered, in what sense were they doing so well?

I thought about the Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi taxi drivers up here in the N.West who endure crappy working conditions, customers who get angry about their accents, get their money robbed, often get called "Paki" and I wondered, in what sense were they doing so well ?

I think about Mosques who get bricks through their windows and Muslim women wearing a Burkha who get spat at in the street and I think - How are they doing so well ?

I think about the way every Asian in Rochdale is seen as a child sex offender, after that child sex ring scandal a few years back and I think how are they doing so well ?

m8 I thank you for your support against the discrimination south asians face.
However, I feel obliged to point out that this discussion is about the disparity in varying degrees of 'success' that Indians and the other south asian nationalities achieve in the UK and indeed the western world at large. So whilst racism is still a very real issue, in the context of this debate it doesn't seem to affect how we South asians fare socio-economically.
Original post by godofwine
Immigrants from India (even those that are Muslim) tend to be less obsessed about religion than their South Asian counterparts.

Indian Muslims in the UK tend to be a lot more religious than the Pakistanis and Bangladeshis here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ssshah2

Their communal isolation can also explain why there are more Pakistani and Bangladeshi politicians in the UK, as the solidarity amongst these communities has lead to them presenting a more united political front, in contrast to the Indians (in western countries, not those in India who vote caste) where votes are cast based on socio-economic policies, and tend to be swing voters.

Indians also tend to live in quite segregated areas, particularly Sikhs. http://www.ethnicity.ac.uk/medialibrary/briefingsupdated/more-segregation-or-more-mixing.pdf Yet there's no Sikh MPs or politicians, so I doubt that's the reason. If you look at the top Asian politicians, Sajid Javid's constituenvcy is about 98% White, & Sadiq Khan's is very heavily mixed with different ethnicities.
They are bought up to study and work hard

Their privilege is earned

Don't be jelly
Original post by Erebor
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2010/11/work_benefits_and_ethnicity.html

The report is from a few years ago but it's only gotten worse since then.

Why are indians doing so well compared to these other groups and what can be done to get them off benefits and into work?

There is a possibility that it has some thing to do with politics. India is politically more advanced than, say, Pakistan. It is a stronger ally, and political ties with India are becoming more important and both countries are developing a stronger bond, especially since Modi's visit to Britain.
I don't want to say too much on the matter as an indian myself, since i am obviously biassed.
What can I say, other than Indians must just be more successful and know how to progress well in society :wink: :'D
Original post by simmys
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/89-621-x/89-621-x2007004-eng.htm

I don't need you telling me what I see everyday in my own country lol. There is some recent information from statistics Canada

From the link:

Labour force participants4 of East Indian origin are more likely to be unemployed than labour force participants in the general population. In 2001, 8.6% of East Indian labour force participants were unemployed, compared with 7.4% of those in the overall population.

Canadians of East Indian origin generally have a lower income than the national average. During 2000,5 the average income from all sources for Canadians of East Indian origin was just over $27,000, while the figure for all Canadian adults was almost $30,000.

Canadian seniors of East Indian origin also have relatively low incomes. In 2000, the average income from all sources for Canadians of East Indian origin aged 65 and over was just under $20,000. This was about $4,500 less than the income for all seniors, whose average income was $24,400. As with all seniors in Canada, women have lower incomes than men. That year, the average income for women of East Indian origin aged 65 and over was $15,400, compared with $24,500 for men the same age of East Indian origin.

Canadians of East Indian origin are slightly more likely than other people to have incomes that fall below Statistics Canada's Low-income Cut-offs. In 2000, 18% of the East Indian community lived in a household with income below the Low-income cut-offs, while the figure was 16% in the total Canadian population.Children of East Indian origin are also slightly more likely than their counterparts in the overall population to live in a Low-income family. In 2000, 21% of children of East Indian origin under the age of 15 lived in families with incomes below the low-income cut-offs, compared with 19% of all children in Canada.
Whats the difference between Pakistan and Inida? o,o i thought they were both middle east
Original post by simmys
LOL Indians particularly Sikhs are not extremists in Canada. Those attacks were a 1 time occurrence!

Like I mentioned rates of organized crime are only in BC, which have gone down significantly in the last 2 decades.

What honour killings? I can think of possibly 1-2 but there are far more in the Pakistani/Muslim communities.

But there are still many Khalistan supporters in Canada, they are even on YouTube with their b.s. trying to brainwash people and cause trouble with their extremist ideology.

Latest

Trending

Trending