The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sammy1001
That must be why it's the fastest growing religion and stands second in place for the world's largest religion.

How is that relevant? In general, worldwide, Moslems simply have a higher birthrate than other people, don't have access to good education and are more likely to indoctrinate their children from a young age. None of these things tells us anything about Islam and its worth.
Original post by Good bloke
It is not derogatory in any way. A few posts ago you didn't know what it means; now you seem to believe it is derogatory. Why is that?

If you managed to open the link given to me you will see why.
Are you one of those people on TSR who start arguments then just wait for notifications without reading all the posts before giving a dumb verdict?
urghh
Original post by SalmaSalma
I asked the question and this was the answer I got:
A Muslim in Arabic means"one who gives himself to God," and is by definition, someone who adheres to Islam. By contrast, a Moslem in Arabic means"one who is evil and unjust" when the word is pronounced, as it is in English, Mozlem with a z.
Most websites are using this definition so don't call this ridiculousness.
Is it close to '******' now or will you come up with some more of your 'facts'?

What a similar word means in a different language has no bearing on how it is used in English. We are writing in English, not Arabic.
Original post by Hydeman
Don't be so ridiculous. 'Moslem' is simply an older transliteration of an Arabic word that is now less widely-used. It's not even remotely equivalent to n****r. :colonhash:

Neither is 'Moslem' the only outdated term for followers of Islam in English - 'Mohammadan' and its variants have also been used historically, without any intention to offend or demean Muslims, so please do stop with this phoney outrage.

Oh for Gods sake
why don't you read previous posts which explain what was said?
Your too busy starting up rubbish and attempting to look smart by giving facts.
SCROLL UP.
yeesh
[QUOTE=Good bloke;64699821]No it isn't. I have not claimed that Wahhabism is extreme. I don't believe that. It is literal, and it follows exactly what the Koran tells it to follow, with no interpretation, using just the words in the Koran.

Unfortunately, it can lead to extreme behaviour, in western terms, when Moslems behave exactly as their ancestors in the seventh century did, keeping women subjugated, setting rules on their travel and supervision and so on. We don't live in the seventh century and most people have moved on.

Sensible Moslems live in the current century, accept the nice bits of the Koran, ignore the inappropriate parts, integrate into our society and realise that many of those rules that Mohammed formulated for his people (and, let's be clear, these are Mohammed's rules) are not appropriate now.

Speaking the rules, what do you, as literalist, understand is the meaning of verses 5:29-40 of the Koran?

I'm getting too many notifs. I'm not gonna reply on this thread anymore. Pm me if you wish to speak further.

What's your deal with those verses?
If you managed to open the link given to me you will see why.
Are you one of those people on TSR who start arguments then just wait for notifications without reading all the posts before giving a dumb verdict?
urghh

You quoted me and asked me a question. I replied with a link to an English dictionary (as we are writing in English). What a similar word means in Arabic or Japanese is completely irrelevant.

You should cease looking at just the first thing that Google presents you with: in this case it told you what an Arabic word means, not what the English word means.
I asked the question and this was the answer I got:
A Muslim in Arabic means"one who gives himself to God," and is by definition, someone who adheres to Islam. By contrast, a Moslem in Arabic means"one who is evil and unjust" when the word is pronounced, as it is in English, Mozlem with a z.
Most websites are using this definition so don't call this ridiculousness.
Is it close to '******' now or will you come up with some more of your 'facts'?

It isn't close to it now either, since what it means in Arabic is entirely irrelevant to its usage in English. It could have meanings in some long-dead Native American language, too - it's unreasonable to expect people using the word in English (not Arabic, or any other language) to be mindful of what it apparently means in other languages.

By the way, 'n****r' is an English word, so I do hope that your desire to be offended doesn't stop you from seeing the false equivalence.
Original post by Butternuts96

What's your deal with those verses?

I merely wish to hear your understanding of them. No Moslem I have ever asked has ever yet been willing to answer - not even those who invited such requests. I don't know why.
What a similar word means in a different language has no bearing on how it is used in English. We are writing in English, not Arabic.

We get the definition of the word 'Muslim' because it is an ARABIC WORD.
Islam started in ARABIA.
The word MOSLEM was first established with that meaning in ARABIC.
Most people know the words meaning in that ARABIC definition as it is comes up most on Google.
So why are arguing if that is the most used definition?
Oh for Gods sake
why don't you read previous posts which explain what was said?
Your too busy starting up rubbish and attempting to look smart by giving facts.
SCROLL UP.
yeesh

This is bordering on incoherent, and you've previously replied to the quoted post. Though it's understandable that 'giving facts' is a great cause of frustration for you.
(edited 7 years ago)
How is that relevant? In general, worldwide, Moslems simply have a higher birthrate than other people, don't have access to good education and are more likely to indoctrinate their children from a young age. None of these things tells us anything about Islam and its worth.

Lmfao, "Moslems".

Perhaps so. But that wasn't my point. My point was that if it really was a dangerous ideology, the 1.6 billion Muslims would not exist, nor would you.
I seem to be having the same argument with three idio.. *cough* people.
So message to you guys, instead of me replying to the same bullsh....stuff, then just scroll up instead of waiting for a notification. okay?
I seem to be having the same argument with three idio.. *cough* people.
So message to you guys, instead of me replying to the same bullsh....stuff, then just scroll up instead of waiting for a notification. okay?

Ah, insults. Just what you needed to prove your case.
Original post by Hydeman
This is bordering on incoherent, and you've previously replied to the quoted post. Though it's understandable that 'giving facts' is a great cause of frustration for you.

Its confusing to yourself because you always assume your right.
Why don't you take it sentence by sentence and maybe you will get there.
Everything that I have said was true, I don't have to post a link after every single thing I mention.
Why don't you search it up yourself or see the link I was given when I didn't understand what the word meant.
Original post by Hydeman
Ah, insults. Just what you needed to prove your case.

Oh, did I win?

-_-
We get the definition of the word 'Muslim' because it is an ARABIC WORD.
Islam started in ARABIA.
The word MOSLEM was first established with that meaning in ARABIC.
Most people know the words meaning in that ARABIC definition as it is comes up most on Google.
So why are arguing if that is the most used definition?

Let me explain in simple steps:

The word originated in Arabic, yes.

It later became used in English, and was transliterated as "Moslem".

This was later updated to "Muslim", which has since become a more popular spelling.

Some of us still use the old spelling, which is perfectly reasonable. In my case I also use "gaol", encylopaedia" and "mediaeval", all of which are less used than newer alternatives, yet are perfectly valid.

I have never said it is the most-used spelling; it isn't.

What a word means in another language has no bearing on what it means in English. We use many words in English derived from other languages which mean in English something entirely different from their meaning in the original language. For instance, do you know what "cul de sac" means in French?

When I use a word in English it has the English meaning, whatever it might mean in another language.
Reply 276
Maybe because Islam is the religion of peace and tolerance? Does not take a genius to know that
Original post by Erebor
I was wondering about this last night, how come islam gets so much bad rap while the other big religions are barely ever mentioned? I mean if you watch or read the news day in day out you almost never see them mentioned, never mind hear about millions hating or disliking them ?! And there are plenty of buddhists, hindus or sikhs in the UK but somehow there seems to be ZERO issues with them...

Hitchens had a theory about it :

Because when something bad happens, everyone looks for someone to blame: they want a scapegoat. That's what Hitler did by blaming the German depression on the Jews and led to their expulsion and eventual genocide.
Thanks for telling me but,
Why are you using such a derogatory term?
Is this an attempt to be funny or...?
You may not like Muslims and their way of life but that really doesn't give you permission to use terms like that.

If a black man punched you in the face one day, would you name all black people ******* from then on?
no?

Then please keep it to yourself.

I'll leave you alone. Unlike that muppet Jeff you seem like a sincere person.
Reply 279
Original post by Jeff458
Everytime you are on a thread you always do this...

Do you actually know where that quote is from specifically and what it means?

It's talking about one of the stories of the prophets as he communicates with other Muslims. Like I mean, just, lost for words how you can't spot that.
With all due respect, it appears that it is you who has misunderstood the context.
Unless, of course, you are one of those who claims that the Quran is not a timeless and universal guide for all Muslims, but merely a record of events in 7th century Arabia, in which case - fair point.

Ironic that you claim to have nothing against Islam
Don't know where you got that idea from? (Probably from the same place that you get your information on the nature of Islamic ideology). My position on Islam has always been clear and unambiguous. It contains much that is violent, intolerant and oppressive, but unlike other religious texts, it is claimed by all its followers to be the perfect, universal, timeless and unchageable actual literal word of god - as acceptable and applicable today as it was 1400 years ago. Because of this, it is irrelevant how many peaceful or tolerant passages there are until Islam has been through its own enlightenment and reformation and Muslims are able to reject and condemn the bad stuff without being led to believe that they are committing a real and genuine sin, with repercussions.

but are always on every thread which has ANYTHING to do with Muslims to persevere in your desperate attempt of acceptance by others via mocking a religion from which you can't even get your facts right
You seem confused. There are many threads about Islam and Muslims that I do not comment on. My work is mainly the challenging and correction of misrepresentation and mendacity. Your indulging in ill-thought ad homs does not detract from that.

Latest

Trending

Trending