The Student Room Group

Short Episode Anime Series

Does anyone here watch short episode anime series (i.e. series with episodes shorter than 15 minutes in length)? If so, are there any you'd recommend? If not, why not?

I usually pick up one or two each season - I'm currently watching Usakame, which is ~4 minutes per episode, and Aggressive Retsuko, a true short at 1 minute per episode (but a cute and amusing minute of each week, all the same). Perhaps the ongoing short that's getting the most attention from the wider community is Studio Trigger's Space Patrol Luluco... I'll get around to that, eventually. :p:

In terms of older, complete shorts, most of those I've seen have been gag comedies such as Gag Manga Biyori, Teekyuu! and Cromartie High School, presumably because it's easier to fit jokes into mini episodes than actual plot or character development. Still, there's the odd example such as romance anime REC or post-apocalyptic sci-fi adventure Kurogane Communication that make surprisingly good use of their short running time in achieving those things.

So yeah, share your thoughts/recommendations on short episode series here, and as ever I'll be happy to give out recommendations if requested! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Woo another anime thread!

I did watch some short episodes in the future but can't remember any titles. Now, I don't even have the time to watch any series due to TSR.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Impressive
I did watch some short episodes in the future

Were they time travel themed? :zomg: :p:

I've watched a lot of shorts that weren't all that memorable, fortunately I have my A-P list to keep track of everything for me. :giggle:
Reply 3
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Were they time travel themed? :zomg: :p:

I've watched a lot of shorts that weren't all that memorable, fortunately I have my A-P list to keep track of everything for me. :giggle:

no, no time travel theme. It was like a 2-5min episode but it was about... Well..

You know... Anime.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I started Space Patrol Luluco, and love it so far! It's another gag comedy, very reminiscent of Kill la Kill (unsurprising, since the two share the same staff and studio). A normal schoolgirl ends up having to cover for her father in the Space Patrol, after he manages to freeze himself solid. With her space patrol suit equipped, she can transform into a gun in order to apprehend perpetrators of crimes such as space cheating and space shoplifting. :giggle: Worth a look on Crunchyroll if you've got a spare 8 minutes. :biggrin:
Does anyone here watch short episode anime series (i.e. series with episodes shorter than 15 minutes in length)? If so, are there any you'd recommend? If not, why not?

(...)

Lesser than 15 minutes? single episode clips of Shin Chan. Like that humor, like Shin Chan's nasty and prepubertal behaviour.
Original post by Kallisto
Lesser than 15 minutes? single episode clips of Shin Chan. Like that humor, like Shin Chan's nasty and prepubertal behaviour.

There's a series I haven't watched (mostly because it's ongoing at 888+ episodes! :zomg:), but it must be doing well to continue airing for so long, even after the author's death.
There's a series I haven't watched (mostly because it's ongoing at 888+ episodes! :zomg:), but it must be doing well to continue airing for so long, even after the author's death.

What?! 888+ episodes ongoing? in German, there were just 133 aired, what is about English? I have missed so many episodes, can't beöieve it. Could it be that some of them can be watched in Japan only?
Original post by Kallisto
What?! 888+ episodes ongoing? in German, there were just 133 aired, what is about English? I have missed so many episodes, can't beöieve it. Could it be that some of them can be watched in Japan only?

Apparently 52 episodes got dubbed in English, but even less than that have been subtitled. Sounds like German viewers got a lot more, but in Japan the series has been airing almost non-stop since 1992!
Apparently 52 episodes got dubbed in English, but even less than that have been subtitled. Sounds like German viewers got a lot more, but in Japan the series has been airing almost non-stop since 1992!

Sometimes I wish to be a Japanese - or to understand Japanese language at least, so Shin Chan TV Series can be watched on Japanese streams by myself.
I picked up another of the season's shorts, out of curiosity - Onigiri is based on an MMORPG, and focuses on women who fight against giant, evil beings called Kamikui. Not particularly high-budget, but that's not so important as it's more comedy than action, with plenty of RPG-themed references and jokes (such as characters getting banned for using OP items, arguing over kills and experience points etc). Should appeal to fans of such games in general, even if you've not played Onigiri. Oh, and one of the main characters is a heterochromatic catgirl.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Impressive
Woo another anime thread!
(...)

Well spotted. They seem to be very popular on TSR, that is the surely reason why there are so many threads about anime in general and single animes.
I've also started watching Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou (available on Crunchyroll here). I wasn't impressed by the first episode, aside from by the amusing Engrish and the unique premise (comparing the similarities between making tonkatsu and being a DJ :lolwut:) - the main character's initial apathy and the low budget animation didn't leave me enthusiastic to watch more. Fortunately I was bored and gave the second episode a look anyway, as the comedy really grew on me after Agetarou's road to becoming a DJ began. The music played in this show is simple, repetitive, and not that great, but somehow that adds to the comedy. :giggle:

I picked up another of the season's shorts, out of curiosity - Onigiri is based on an MMORPG, and focuses on women who fight against giant, evil beings called Kamikui. Not particularly high-budget, but that's not so important as it's more comedy than action, with plenty of RPG-themed references and jokes (such as characters getting banned for using OP items, arguing over kills and experience points etc). Should appeal to fans of such games in general, even if you've not played Onigiri. Oh, and one of the main characters is a heterochromatic catgirl.

UK viewers can now watch this series, free on Viewster, with English or German subs. :biggrin:
Kagewani is actually pretty good.
Original post by black1blade
Kagewani is actually pretty good.

I've heard that, and might go back and watch the first series at some point (I chose to go with Teekyuu S6 and Hacka Doll instead that season).
Well I guess the good thing with these shorts series is you can marathon without much time investment. Watching both seasons of kagewani (assuming there will only be two) back to back would be like watching 8 episodes of a normal length show.

Quick Reply

Latest