The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Chemistry (WCH06/01) Chemistry Laboratory Skills II - 10th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by pondsteps
i put thermometer and flask
and i didnt know the third so i put smthn to connect between flask and condenser lol

I did like this :
1)thermometer
2)stopper/bung
3)A conical flask with vent , to collect distillate
Original post by CPSohan
I did like this :
1)thermometer
2)stopper/bung
3)A conical flask with vent , to collect distillate

ugh i crossed out stopper last minute
Reply 82
ugh i crossed out stopper last minute

Itz ok, and I don't think a 'stopper' is considered as 'apparatus' , but I wrote it anyway bcuz I couldn't find anything better :/
Original post by wima3109
you just have to say if that error would make a significant change

do u remember which ones u put as valid or not?
i put 1st 2nd 4th .. by valid i meant it would make a significant change - is my answer correct

and what did u guys put as the test for iodine????
that paper was kinda messed up....really hope the boundaries will be low...
that paper was kinda messed up....really hope the boundaries will be low...

Ikrrr.. but i dont think they have ever fallen below 30 .. last year it was 31 and it was easier
i put 1st 2nd 4th .. by valid i meant it would make a significant change - is my answer correct

i put the heat loss thingy and the incomplete combustion of alcohols......for the iodine thing i put starch solution turns blue black to colourless.....hope i am correct
Original post by CPSohan
Itz ok, and I don't think a 'stopper' is considered as 'apparatus' , but I wrote it anyway bcuz I couldn't find anything better :/

i guess the right answer is adaptor for the third point.. but i couldnt remember its name so i wrote the description of what it is
Reply 88

-1st and 2nd were not valid , 3rd and 4th were valid.
- Test for presence of Iodine , which came today in exam , is actually the test for halo-alkane. Hot NaOH(aq.)+ dil.HNO3+ AgNO3 -------------------------------> yellow precipitate forms, showing the presence of I-
Ikrrr.. but i dont think they have ever fallen below 30 .. last year it was 31 and it was easier

atleast 30 would be okay....
i put the heat loss thingy and the incomplete combustion of alcohols......for the iodine thing i put starch solution turns blue black to colourless.....hope i am correct

yeah u are.. i put the test for iodide by mistake lolol
Original post by CPSohan
-1st and 2nd were not valid , 3rd and 4th were valid.
- Test for presence of Iodine , which came today in exam , is actually the test for halo-alkane. Hot NaOH(aq.)+ dil.HNO3+ AgNO3 -------------------------------> yellow precipitate forms, showing the presence of I-

OMG are u SUREEEEE!! I PUT THAT TOOO
Reply 92

Wima , "starch solution turns blue black to colourless" is for Iodine molecule , I2 . But there was no Iodine molecule , it was a halo-alkane, and when you break C-I bond , you don't get Iodine molecule, rather you get Iodide ions.
Original post by cpsohan
wima , "starch solution turns blue black to colourless" is for iodine molecule , i2 . But there was no iodine molecule , it was a halo-alkane, and when you break c-i bond , you don't get iodine molecule, rather you get iodide ions.

ilysmmmm okay
Reply 94
OMG are u SUREEEEE!! I PUT THAT TOOO

Of course I am sure, why not ? "starch solution turns blue black to colourless" is for Iodine molecule , I2 . But there was no Iodine molecule , it was a halo-alkane, and when you break C-I bond , you don't get Iodine molecule, rather you get Iodide ions.
Original post by CPSohan
Of course I am sure, why not ? "starch solution turns blue black to colourless" is for Iodine molecule , I2 . But there was no Iodine molecule , it was a halo-alkane, and when you break C-I bond , you don't get Iodine molecule, rather you get Iodide ions.

but the q said how to test for iodine
Reply 96
but the q said how to test for iodine

No. The question asked us to show the presence of Iodine.
Original post by CPSohan

it said presence of iodine atoms....i wrote the agno3 thing and cut it and wrote the starch solution......FML
Original post by CPSohan

great! but all i wrote was add NaOH then nitric acid the silver nitrate and yellow ppt forms.. is it correct??
Reply 99

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending