The Student Room Group

Student in California misnamed as Isis Phillips!!!

What exactly is this? Isn't this quite apparent prejudice and nothing more?
What are your views?

https://gma.yahoo.com/yearbook-photo-misnames-student-hijab-isis-sparks-outrage-143239794--abc-news-topstories.html
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NachoPhilosopher
What exactly is this? Isn't this quite apparent prejudice and nothing more?
What are your views?

I do not get it.
A girl in my 6th form was called Isis.
Isis is an old Egyptian Goddess
Original post by ODES_PDES
I do not get it.

nopes. Actually, she was named this because she was wearing Hijab! and misnamed in the name of the group's acronym Islamic State of Iraq and Sham.
I consider this totally prejudice! nothing else!
No source, no context. Just outrage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ODES_PDES
I do not get it.

The problem is her actual name wasn't isis, therefore we can assume that the reason that they published her name as isis is to do with the fact she was a Muslim girl who wears the hijab.

I can't believe that something like this was even allowed to happen, are there not people who have to approve yearbooks before they are sent to print? I can't even believe that people would purposely do that to a fellow student. This just further exemplifies the extent to which islamophobia exists in the US. This innocent Muslim girl is given the name of a terrorist group which she has no alliance with just because she shares a religion with them? This has probably tarnished her whole experience and memories in high-school. It's ridiculous and some sort of punishment should be given to those students. This is not merely a 'typo' as the school has claimed, it is targeted bullying and it needs to be dealt with. No one should be bullied like this, regardless of their faith or race.
Original post by imjustnotnormal
The problem is her actual name wasn't isis, therefore we can assume that the reason that they published her name as isis is to do with the fact she was a Muslim girl who wears the hijab.

I can't believe that something like this was even allowed to happen, are there not people who have to approve yearbooks before they are sent to print? I can't even believe that people would purposely do that to a fellow student. This just further exemplifies the extent to which islamophobia exists in the US. This innocent Muslim girl is given the name of a terrorist group which she has no alliance with just because she shares a religion with them? This has probably tarnished her whole experience and memories in high-school. It's ridiculous and some sort of punishment should be given to those students. This is not merely a 'typo' as the school has claimed, it is targeted bullying and it needs to be dealt with. No one should be bullied like this, regardless of their faith or race.

where is a link for the story please?
Original post by DiddyDec
No source, no context. Just outrage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://gma.yahoo.com/yearbook-photo-misnames-student-hijab-isis-sparks-outrage-143239794--abc-news-topstories.html
In fact, outrage erupted out of something, it just did not get created like the prejudice that all those people are suffering from!
Reply 8
How tf do you misspell Bayan Zehlif as Isis Phillips doe :lol:
they didn't even get the surname right smh
is there an Isis Phillips in that school?
I can't believe the Egyptians named their goddess after this terrorist group.

Aren't they supposed to be Muslims anyway?

It makes no sense to me.
Here we go again..
Islamophobes questioning the story..however whenever there is anti muslim news story , it is 100% correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z33

My thought exactly.
Original post by z33
How tf do you misspell Bayan Zehlif as Isis Phillips doe :lol:
they didn't even get the surname right smh

Original post by DiddyDec
My thought exactly.

the article says there was someone else actually called isis phillips in the school :tongue:
Original post by chazwomaq
I can't believe the Egyptians named their goddess after this terrorist group.

Aren't they supposed to be Muslims anyway?

It makes no sense to me.[/QUOTe

You can't be a Muslim if you worship more than one god. Therefor Goddesses is plural. A lot of ANCIENT Egyptians were not Muslim, like Tutankhamun, and worshipped many gods and goddesses like Isis.

Isis, the Egyptian Goddess, came years and years BEFORE the ISIS today. Ancient Egyptian civilisation came together at around 3150BC
Reply 14
Original post by defenestrated
the article says there was someone else actually called isis phillips in the school :tongue:

OMG see? fgs -.-'

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Wait what? Isn't he saying what your saying?

or do I need more sleep????

:s-smilie:

no you need more sleep xD
Isis were a great post-metal band.

I didn't read the article.

There we have it, a simple and unfortunate admin error.
Original post by NachoPhilosopher
What exactly is this?

Judging solely by the article linked, it looks remarkably like an administrative error, with someone putting the wrong pupil's name to a photograph in error, nothing more. Of course, it then requires someone intent on taking offence, with a possible eye on compensation, to blow it up out of all proportion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KaminiZindagi
Here we go again..
Islamophobes questioning the story..however whenever there is anti muslim news story , it is 100% correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

EXACTLY!!

Where does it actually say that?
All the school commented was that they apologize for 'regrettable misprint'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending