The Student Room Group

CCEA chemistry AS practical

How did people find the practical exam today?
horrible
I found it ok. I know I've made a few mistakes but I don't feel like I should lose too many marks? I got the acidified potassium dichromate observation wrong and I said the first smell was an 'ethanol smell' but apart from that nothing major. :smile: How about you?
Reply 3
Original post by nightowl66
I found it ok. I know I've made a few mistakes but I don't feel like I should lose too many marks? I got the acidified potassium dichromate observation wrong and I said the first smell was an 'ethanol smell' but apart from that nothing major. :smile: How about you?

I thought it was ok overall. I got 36.5 cm3 for my average titre though and everyone seemed to get around 25. I don't think you lose marks for the actual value though - you're just marked on the table, I think? I wrote the universal indicator paper turned orange - hopefully you didn't have to say red or something to get the mark.
Reply 4
Original post by AlonsoAMG
horrible

What's bits did you find hard?
Reply 5
Original post by Urrdqm
It was one of the easiest papers in years, we got lucky. Although then the grade boundaries will be higher. Everyone is my class got done and checked over several times with AT LEAST 30mins spare. And you didnt have to use the bunsen burner at all, apart from the generic flame test. Easy in my opinion

We also used the Bunsen burner to heat the sodium hydroxide solution and solid therefore giving off ammonia gas. Also you had to heat the mixture of solid and magnesium ions forming the insoluble carbonate precipitate. I think we used the Bunsen quite a lot in this practical.
Reply 6
Original post by Urrdqm
You mean where you could have made and used a waterbath with a beaker and kettle? Saves time, resources, and gives the same results. Practical skills man...you dont have to panic and use the bunsen burner everytime it asks you to gently heat.

Do you have the inability to follow instructions also - the same accusation you make to me? You use a water bath when it TELLS you to (most commonly with organic liquids of which many are flammable ie for safety reasons). If it doesn't say use a water bath you use the Bunsen at your table that you're given to do the practical. You don't just make up your own method. How do you know it gives the same results? - a hotter temperature than a water bath can achieve may be required.

Why would I panic when using the Bunsen burner? It's one of the most basic pieces of scientific apparatus. We've used it since the first day if science class.
Reply 7
Original post by Urrdqm
Dont worry, you have plenty of time to practice for when you repeat next year. *cough* 36.5cm3

You mustn't have done much preparation for the exam. If you had checked last years mark scheme to see how it is marked you would see that you're not marked on the values you get for the titre. (You used to be - you had to match the teachers value). Now you are just marked on your table (headings , units etc.), the number of decimal places you record the results to, the average titre calculation, whether the accurate titre in the table are within 0.2 cm3 of each other (mine were) and if he rough was larger than the accurates but not more than 2cm3 larger.

My script ticks all these boxes - 8 marks done.

I'll let you know my mark in August
Reply 8
Original post by Urrdqm
God you are so salty, its actually funny

I don't know how you possibly had 30 minutes to spare - carrying out those reactions in a water bath would have made them so slow you probably didn't observe anything.
Reply 9
Original post by Urrdqm
I cried laughing, thank you

Did you just create an account to post that so you could have a laugh at your own post. Lol:biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by xxEcchiMasterxx
Clearly You Have No Idea What You Are Talking About, Kid. Any Real Scientist In Their Right Mind Would Clearly Know That You're Never Actually Supposed To Use The Bunsen's Burners, It's Just To There To Give Students Marks. I'm Not Even Sure If It Actually Works. I Mean How Can I Flame That Small Actually Heat Anything Up?

Regards,

xxEcchiMasterxx

Place your hand in the flame and watch what happens. Or maybe the flame is too small to cause anything to happen.

Regards,
mark.98
Original post by mark.98
I don't know how you possibly had 30 minutes to spare - carrying out those reactions in a water bath would have made them so slow you probably didn't observe anything.

I had so much time to spare I watched 3 episodes of Seinfeld during the exam. You are clearly weak minded and have to open your mind to improve on your results. I can give you a copy of my japanese textbook to learn if you want?
Original post by mark.98
Place your hand in the flame and watch what happens. Or maybe the flame is too small to cause anything to happen.

Regards,
mark.98

I'll Have You Know, Kid. I Come From A Long Family Line Of Firefighters. Hearing Tales From My Grandpop About The Flames He Had To Endure To Save The Chinese From Hiroshima Made Me Appreciate That Your Pathetic Little 'flame' Is Nothing, I'll Also Have You Know,

By The Age Of 12 I Was Smarter Than Anyone In My Whole School, Impressive Right? So You Better Watch Out, Bud Or I'll Put My Mind To The Test And You'll Never Know What May Happen. You've Been Warned.

With Strong Feelings,

xxEcchiMasterxx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xxEcchiMasterxx
I'll Have You Know, Kid. I Come From A Long Family Line Of Firefighters. Hearing Tales From My Grandpop About The Flames He Had To Endure To Save The Chinese From Hiroshima Made Me Appreciate That Your Pathetic Little 'flame' Is Nothing, I'll Also Have You Know,

By The Age Of 12 I Was Smarter Than Anyone In My Whole School, Impressive Right? So You Better Watch Out, Bud Or I'll Put My Mind To The Test And You'll Never Know What May Happen. You've Been Warned.

With Strong Feelings,

xxEchiMasterxx

I heard if you put your hand in smaller flames you can build up an immunity to larger flames so you must be able to withstand a huge amount of heat WOWOWOOW!
Reply 14
Alright, everyone, let's be civil. :h:
Original post by airmed
alright, everyone, let's be civil. :h

civil!??? Do not impose goverment on me i am a sovereign citizen you have no place here i have rightsssss this is a free country!!!!!!!!!! You bakas
Reply 16
Original post by mark.98

I had a good 40 minutes and from what I see I've got atleast around 23/24

Quick Reply

Latest