The Student Room Group

Why can't this site bring back negs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carrotstar
I believe positive rep is limited to something like 5 a day, or at least it used to be. However if people were to create numerous accounts to repeatedly neg rep one post or user, I think it should be invisible to the poster and other users and have no effect on their rep overall.

Back in the day creating new accounts and negging had no effect. You had 0 rep power.

Which is I think was also a big reason in getting rid of negs. People with low rep power cried coz their negs were worthless (and pos for that matter).

But as Plantagenet has said, this pos only is almost entirely pointless. Like does anyone actually still care about the gems?
Rep is a measure of

1. how many posts you have made

and

2. what proportion of those are in the soft forums like relationships etc.

In the debating forums there are only a few dozen users at any one time, so even if everyone reps your posts as often as possible you will not build rep very quickly. Rep really signifies nothing.

Back when there was neg rep having red gems was a good marker for who was a troll, but frankly it's pretty obvious just from reading the post.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
the opposite effect can be argued for just having pos rep: that excessive amounts of brown-nosing and rep fishing have taken over.

But now that so many trolls and emotionally unstable people have built up such large rep scores, can we really go back to neg? Too many idiots have too much rep power, there is no way back.
You can now pos rep an unlimited number of times a day, but only the same person once in a 24 hour period.

hyper-repflation :moon:
Original post by Snufkin
But now that so many trolls and emotionally unstable people have built up such large rep scores, can we really go back to neg? Too many idiots have too much rep power, there is no way back.

I agree to a certain extent, the CT let it go on for too long when pos rep only was meant to be a trial period, but as far as I know most people at the time actually wanted it to be brought back.

It would be chaos at first if it returned but surely it would eventually even out again?
Is there any evidence that removing neg rep has opened more discussion? I was around during neg rep and in my opinion there was just as much discussion then as there is now. In fact, I believe the levels of trolling have actually significantly increased since neg rep removal because trolls know their rep score can only go up regardless of the nonsense they spew. At least pos and neg rep genuinely distinguished between the helpful and troll posters.

That's just my own personal findings, but like I said it could be down to how I use the forum and the sort of topics I frequent rather than across the board.
Original post by RachaelBee
I don't want them back, it annoyed me too much when people had a well reasoned opinion but got negged just because it was a different view to the one someone else held.

You could almost hear people thinking "Well, I don't agree with that, but I don't have any valid rejoinder, so I'll just neg it instead."
Original post by Isabella d'Anjou
Why does emotional instability matter? That's very horrible thing to say.

No it isn't.
It probably puts people off expressing their opinion
Original post by Snufkin

Reset the rep to 0.

:colone:
Original post by intelligent con
Some things need to be negged and I really want to neg some users (mainly anyone who insults islam or supports UKIP). I'm fed up of having to pretend that everyone opinion on this site is valuable and I hate seeing idiotic posts get reps and no negs. We need to bring them back NOW.

I vote yes, but not for the same reasons.

Oh ffs, anyone who insults Islam? Is that synonymous with anyone who criticises its ideology?

So you want to infringe on other people's democratic rights? Why neg anyone who supports UKIP?
UKIP aren't a homogeneous bunch.

Original post by Abstract_Prism
Neg rep restricts free debate. What sort of a debate is it if you get negged by anyone who disagrees?

People shouldn't feel ashamed at having a controversial opinion. :/ Negs should be here I believe, but people shouldn't be afraid of them.
Why does it matter if an emotionally unstable person is popular on a site ? Why would you judge people who likely have mental health problems or issues in their life as unworthy ?

Can't believe it says you are very important poster you are very bitter.

With respect, you have almost no experience of TSR. Apart from 3 posts you made in 2014, you've only been active since yesterday. You have no right to make any judgment about me. Posts like yours make me miss neg rep.

Don't put words in my mouth. I did not even mention mental health. 'Emotionally unstable' can refer to people who are irrational, immature, quick to judge, hold grudges, prone to mood swings etc - one can be all these things and not have a mental health condition. :rolleyes:
Don't bring back negs. i would be trolled under
Oh I see, so you think because you're such an experienced user on one specific forum your opinion rules ? I have experience of other forums thank you.

It's just weird to lump trolls with emotionally unstable people, and normally people do not choose to be emotionally unstable and there is something that underlies it so you should be a lot more tolerant and less judgemental.

I don't think your opinion on rep matters very much because as I say, you have no experience or understanding of how the system works in practice. You call me rude and bitter... then tell me to be more tolerant and less judgemental? :laugh::facepalm: I'm done.
Everyone says they want negs back, but they don't really, do they?
Original post by Captain Jack

I don't know about everyone else, but when I say I want neg back I mean it :yep:

Bring back Neg rep or remove rep all together!

:mob:

Spoiler

From my experience of using other forums a way of controlling the thumbs up and down is important. I am surprised we can give as much reputation out to different users on this forum with no negative force. Because it seems like a lot of people have a lot of rectangles.
Original post by intelligent con
Some things need to be negged and I really want to neg some users (mainly anyone who insults islam or supports UKIP). I'm fed up of having to pretend that everyone opinion on this site is valuable and I hate seeing idiotic posts get reps and no negs. We need to bring them back NOW.

Islam should be insulted

Posted from TSR Mobile
From my experience of using other forums a way of controlling the thumbs up and down is important. I am surprised we can give as much reputation out to different users on this forum with no negative force. Because it seems like a lot of people have a lot of rectangles.

They are called gems. And they are evil.

Quick Reply

Latest