The Student Room Group

Islam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
Thanks for asking so I didn't have to. :tongue:

Why didn't you?

Original post by Josb
Apparently, she can still have sex, but only in interracial gang-bangs. Do you know which Islamic sect advocates this?

Why does some sect have to advocate it? I'm a muslim without borders, I mean sect. Wait does that make sense? Well who cares I'm sure you know what I mean.

In all seriousness I can have sex with whoever I want, I mean I didn't automatically start growing a fungus in my pussy after I became a muslim that prevents non-muslims from sticking it in there. If it's a question of Haram and Halal then yes, my view on the Quran is yes interfaith relationships are allowed as long as the two doesn't prevent each other from practicing the religion and has a mutual respect in their differences of belief. I mean the pharaoh was a genocidal monster that declared himself god and his wife was a person to be admired within Islamic theology and was one of the most pious woman. Something must be learnt from that.

I don't shove my belief unto people, people don't shove their interpretation which happens to be similar to ISIS's interpretation of the version of Islam unto me. And by people I don't only mean anti-theist, islam hating people who seem to think the literal ISIS/ extremists version is the true version - I also mean the salafists/ wahabists/ extreme literal/ anjem choudhury type of muslims. All of the type's mentioned in this paragraph are basically people on the opposite sides of the same spectrum. They go hand in hand - one uses it to advocate hate and fear of Islam, a lot of the times muslims themselves, whilst the other uses it for burning certain country's flags or killing or hurting people. Both are violent and hateful. What does that solve? Where does that lead us? Do anti-theists seriously think they're getting anything done by spewing hysterical slander? And does the terrorists seriously think they can make people see the 'beauty' of a religion through killing? They can install fear that way, not belief or respect though. At the end of the day both are spreading fear. Although I think I at least understand where the islamophobes are coming from. What I absolutely don't understand is how someone can advocate the killing of someone and then say this religion is perfectly peaceful. Idiots.

It's time muslims start reflecting the true message of the Quran and start take a stand and being proud and confidant in who they are, what there beliefs are and start showing a different face of Islam. true face of islam isn't only marching when syrian or palestinian children are hurt - its also marching against the teorrists who killed charlie hebdo, that danish filmmaker, children being raped and as well as atrocities that have nothing to do with islam or muslim, but standing for the truth and justice. If muslims were being true people of the Quran, myself included, then people would want to be like us - we wouldn't be seen as a threat, we'd be seen as the peaceful bunch everyone would like to be like whether thats my remaining non-muslim or by becoming one. Muhammad had no supporters at the start but he didn't perseverance and his honesty, kindness, compassion, tolerance, patience, virtue eventually shone through and this illiterate man changed the rest of the dessert. It wasn't through fear, it was his warmth and behaviour that attracted people to his message. So if one man can do it then no matter how small or big we are, we can do it especially in a time of technology.

I don't see anything wrong with people having the misconceptions they do on islam or muslim, I feel angry that all muslims can say is oh no islam is a religion of peace but our attitudes should really revolutionise not only how the world views us, but it should be an encouragement of others to be like us. I really hope muslims start reflecting the true message of Islam, not the crap that is continuing to be spewed. I hope there comes a time where the media neither people like sam harris and the late christopher hitchens and their followers finds no scope to even try and spread their hateful propaganda no matter how hard they tried. And I hope that comes along because even though we will always have negative people in the world, the positivity would surpass that by a thousand miles.

And so I will continue to model, I will continue to spread my ideas and tolerance and dirty jokes whether people like it or not, whether that makes people see me as a 'valid' muslim or not. I didn't become muslim to be a part of a community or because I thought I need god or religion. I became muslim because I believe Allah is the creator of all that exists, he is self-sustaining ever-living, he cannot be created neither can any human, or any creation, even fathom him and Quran is his true word and Muhammad was the last messenger and all those that came before him, including buddhas, krishna, zeus, whatever, were messengers and prophets of god. And it wasn't a question of needing him or going to hell or heaven or getting support from 'brothers' and 'sisters' or whatever. It was a question of character - if I believe in all that I do - what does it say about me if I'm turning my back against him? I wouldn't even call myself a muslim if it weren't for the fact that muslim literally means believing in the ones of Allah, that Allah created everything, and that Quran is the word of god. Otherwise I wouldn't have labelled myself as such, as I don't believe in labels when it comes to religion.

And so I couldn't give two shiits whether I'm a valid muslim in the eyes of people, it's between me and god. And as you can clearly tell im not your average muslim convert or anything. I am me.

Original post by Hydeman
A new one, I'd imagine. :teehee:

Yeah - It's called Sexrho-hil-Islam.

EDIT: Just re-read everything and there are a lot of typos, so please ignore them. My exams are tomorrow and I can't be bothered to type things up properly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiransohail
Encouraging others to see non hijaabis as sexual objects is not in any way the intention of the hijaab. If people don't wish to wear it, it is entirely their choice. But it is also our choice to wear it. We wish to live under a veil when amongst non mehram (basically anyone who isn't your brtoher, son, nephew, father, grandfather, husband...etc). I also find it rather unfair that you say hijaabis are to blame for the way people view non hijaabis. Perhaps we should not be blaming the hijaabis for wanting to wear this but for everyone else to stop seeing non hijaabis as sexual attractions/objects. It's like how people tell girls to stop dressing a certain way because that's 'asking for it'. People need to stop being blamed for the way they dress and people need to be taught the correct manner in which people should be viewed and treated.

Open mind.

Do this very simple experiment.

Get one woman wearing a hijaab to talk to 10 muslim men and ask them "what do you think of women who do not wear hijaab".

Then get one woman not wearing a hijaab to talk to the 10 muslim men and ask them "what do you think of women who wear the hijaab".

If both women get significantly different answers one can assume that the hijaab is influencing significant number muslim men to view non hijaab women in a negative way.

As I said earlier this whole debate was in Christianity in the 1960s and it went on backwards and forwards for many years (so we are not closed minded, we do know all the different arguments). In the end it was agreed by the majority of Christian adherents (even nuns) that wearing veils and hats was anti-feminist and bowing down to the patriarchy.

I think sociologists etc will note that the male libedo is effected by "getting used to types of clothing" , thus once women begin to wear what they want, it begins to be less of a "turn on" because the male mind has gotten used to it and blanks it out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FredOrJohn
Nope - there is no boundary to where your mind can take you. Our minds think at a rate faster than the speed of light (eg you can think yourself in another solar system faster than light takes to reach us from that same star system).

I'd say, within the bounds of our human biology, if you "wrap" the opposite sex up then, if that opposite sex, goes to a place that is "unwrapped" it will behave (on significant numbers of occasions) in weird and unpredictable but self justified ways (self justified religious belief)..

☆Covering of girls and women for "purity" and "niceness" reasons is potentially harmful for boys and men.☆

Do a simple experiment as a women wearing a veil. Go up to 10 muslim boys/men and ask them what to they think of young women who do not wear veils?

If ONE of the ten say something unpleasant about girls or women who do not wear veils that would potentially be bad enough to stop wearing them (if repeatable). If none of the 10 muslim boys/men say anything bad about women or girls who do not wear veils then you know that you have done an experiment and you can feel some justification for what you do.

If you want to be truely open minded do the experiment.

I really find your view on tge bit i starred interesting. There have been many discussions about the viel (which i personally don't where and i am pretty sure there is bot need) and coverings. You are the 3rd person with this view. I am very intrigued to why you think this. If it is no trouble and you don't mind could you explain this please? (The starred bit)
Original post by Angry Bird
people hate it cos of all the stuff they see on the media which basically brainwashed them

No, a lot of the rules are :/
Original post by Butternuts96
No, you can't just say my comparison is false. That's a weak argument right there, mate. I never said that Islam can't go unchallenged so don't put words into my mouth. My final point was basically "give it a break". We see enough of these muslim topics on TSR. Like does it have to be everyday? I don't understand TSR's obsession with Islam. Do you lot feel threatened by it?

I didn't just say it was false, I pointed out the comparison fails on several key points. Hence not being w good comparison. Though you have seemed to have given up on your, your a hypocrite argument

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

And what do you mean give it a break, it's an old and major religon it should have had time to get used to perpetual critism. If Donald trump can do it I'm sure it can't be that hard.
Original post by Butternuts96

The 9 year old girl Muhammed (peace and prayers upon him) had married is not like the 9 year olds today. Everyone was bigger and more mature from an early age. There were boys aged 10 who were fighting in wars at that time.

Rubbish. This is often claimed, but no evidence is ever provided. Children were not biologically more mature back then, in fact, all the evidence suggests that the age of puberty for girls has been decreasing over time, i.e. back then girls would have probably reached puberty later on average. In no time era is a 9-year-old physically or mentally mature, let alone for marriage and sex with a man old enough to be her grandfather.
Original post by Anonymous
Some non-muslims believe gay marriage is perfectly acceptable. Muslims consider it a sin.

Therefore, this is enough for many to condemn, attack, and hate Islam over.

Homosexuality is a central theme to this all - it is a key and touchy belief.

How can I make a guess to your identity without revealing it to the public?
Original post by XcitingStuart
How can I make a guess to your identity without revealing it to the public?

Religious people dont have common sense:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 128
Original post by hilrho

Why does some sect have to advocate it? I'm a muslim without borders, I mean sect. Wait does that make sense? Well who cares I'm sure you know what I mean.

In all seriousness I can have sex with whoever I want, I mean I didn't automatically start growing a fungus in my pussy after I became a muslim that prevents non-muslims from sticking it in there. If it's a question of Haram and Halal then yes, my view on the Quran is yes interfaith relationships are allowed as long as the two doesn't prevent each other from practicing the religion and has a mutual respect in their differences of belief. I mean the pharaoh was a genocidal monster that declared himself god and his wife was a person to be admired within Islamic theology and was one of the most pious woman. Something must be learnt from that.

I don't shove my belief unto people, people don't shove their interpretation which happens to be similar to ISIS's interpretation of the version of Islam unto me. And by people I don't only mean anti-theist, islam hating people who seem to think the literal ISIS/ extremists version is the true version - I also mean the salafists/ wahabists/ extreme literal/ anjem choudhury type of muslims. All of the type's mentioned in this paragraph are basically people on the opposite sides of the same spectrum. They go hand in hand - one uses it to advocate hate and fear of Islam, a lot of the times muslims themselves, whilst the other uses it for burning certain country's flags or killing or hurting people. Both are violent and hateful. What does that solve? Where does that lead us? Do anti-theists seriously think they're getting anything done by spewing hysterical slander? And does the terrorists seriously think they can make people see the 'beauty' of a religion through killing? They can install fear that way, not belief or respect though. At the end of the day both are spreading fear. Although I think I at least understand where the islamophobes are coming from. What I absolutely don't understand is how someone can advocate the killing of someone and then say this religion is perfectly peaceful. Idiots.

It's time muslims start reflecting the true message of the Quran and start take a stand and being proud and confidant in who they are, what there beliefs are and start showing a different face of Islam. true face of islam isn't only marching when syrian or palestinian children are hurt - its also marching against the teorrists who killed charlie hebdo, that danish filmmaker, children being raped and as well as atrocities that have nothing to do with islam or muslim, but standing for the truth and justice. If muslims were being true people of the Quran, myself included, then people would want to be like us - we wouldn't be seen as a threat, we'd be seen as the peaceful bunch everyone would like to be like whether thats my remaining non-muslim or by becoming one. Muhammad had no supporters at the start but he didn't perseverance and his honesty, kindness, compassion, tolerance, patience, virtue eventually shone through and this illiterate man changed the rest of the dessert. It wasn't through fear, it was his warmth and behaviour that attracted people to his message. So if one man can do it then no matter how small or big we are, we can do it especially in a time of technology.

I don't see anything wrong with people having the misconceptions they do on islam or muslim, I feel angry that all muslims can say is oh no islam is a religion of peace but our attitudes should really revolutionise not only how the world views us, but it should be an encouragement of others to be like us. I really hope muslims start reflecting the true message of Islam, not the crap that is continuing to be spewed. I hope there comes a time where the media neither people like sam harris and the late christopher hitchens and their followers finds no scope to even try and spread their hateful propaganda no matter how hard they tried. And I hope that comes along because even though we will always have negative people in the world, the positivity would surpass that by a thousand miles.

And so I will continue to model, I will continue to spread my ideas and tolerance and dirty jokes whether people like it or not, whether that makes people see me as a 'valid' muslim or not. I didn't become muslim to be a part of a community or because I thought I need god or religion. I became muslim because I believe Allah is the creator of all that exists, he is self-sustaining ever-living, he cannot be created neither can any human, or any creation, even fathom him and Quran is his true word and Muhammad was the last messenger and all those that came before him, including buddhas, krishna, zeus, whatever, were messengers and prophets of god. And it wasn't a question of needing him or going to hell or heaven or getting support from 'brothers' and 'sisters' or whatever. It was a question of character - if I believe in all that I do - what does it say about me if I'm turning my back against him? I wouldn't even call myself a muslim if it weren't for the fact that muslim literally means believing in the ones of Allah, that Allah created everything, and that Quran is the word of god. Otherwise I wouldn't have labelled myself as such, as I don't believe in labels when it comes to religion.

And so I couldn't give two shiits whether I'm a valid muslim in the eyes of people, it's between me and god. And as you can clearly tell im not your average muslim convert or anything. I am me.

All well and good, but it is labels and distinct "rules" and beliefs that seperate religion from personal spirituality. Organised religion is and always has been an interpersonal phenomenon- never has there been one without a strong collective element. What Muslim community have you so far identified with or been accepted by?
Anyway, you say you are Muslim soley because of your belief in God, Muhammamed as his prophet and the Quran as his word. But you deliberately behave in a way that goes against the word of God, and it is this contradiction you've yet to explain.
Original post by TelAviv
So it would be fair to say its the girl's fault she gets raped if she's not covered properly?

Nah you would still say its the rapists fault
It isn't necessarily to avoid rape, its actually to do with dressing modestly, men and women should wear loose clothing so that they dont get gazed at for example ☺️
Original post by RobML
What Muslim community have you so far identified with or been accepted by?

None. Haven't ever been a part of a 'muslim community'. My mums a diplomat and I literally grew up around people of every background there could be that I can't seriously tell you I mix with a certain kind more than the other. I'm art of a highly globalised culture.

It's hard to explain it to people who's only ever grown up in their home country but I'm a third culture kid - we're just different like that. Although a majority of my friends are Norwegian and Swiss but that's because they're much more open-minded and globalised imo.

@Foo.mp3 is the only person so far on here who seems to understand the kind of environment Im a part of, and he's much better at explaining it than I weirdly.

Original post by RobML
But you deliberately behave in a way that goes against the word of God, and it is this contradiction you've yet to explain.

Would you ask me the same thing if I said I converted to Christianity?
There is a massive difference between the culture of a person and their religion. Many Middle-Eastern cultures do punish homosexuals, do have archaic views on the position of women in marriage and how they are treated in society, however Islam is not the cause of that.
Densely Islamic populated countries have had female presidents, such as Indonesia, Turkey, Pakistan and so on. Clearly exemplifying how women are influential members of many countries.
Women do not cover themselves because 'the man' can't control himself, they do it for themselves. Submission to Allah is the focal point of the religion, some women decide to cover themselves, as that is what they believe in and as humans they completely have the right to do so. On the other hand, many women do not cover themselves and can very successfully become compatible with 'western culture', whilst still remaining faithful to their religion.
The fact that for you this is a list of just reason to hate a religion is frankly quite ignorant. Possibly you yourself are not compatible with 'Western culture'.
For the portion sizes, i have never known anyone in my family to ever give a male more food then a female.
Whilst were on a trailing subject of the subordination women experience, insulting another woman is possibly not the best route to go down.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
It condones the punishment of gay people
It believes in the murder of apostates
It says somewhere in the Quran that if a wife denies a husband sex she can be cursed
Rape in marriage is ok apparently
Girls get less portions than boys
Girls are advised to cover up because apparently the man can't control himself.
And the day Kim K becomes a nun will be the day Islam becomes compatible with Western culture

I could go on.

*gets popcorn

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
It condones the punishment of gay people
It believes in the murder of apostates
It says somewhere in the Quran that if a wife denies a husband sex she can be cursed
Rape in marriage is ok apparently
Girls get less portions than boys
Girls are advised to cover up because apparently the man can't control himself.
And the day Kim K becomes a nun will be the day Islam becomes compatible with Western culture

I could go on.

*gets popcorn

There is a massive difference between the culture of a person and their religion. Many Middle-Eastern cultures do punish homosexuals, do have archaic views on the position of women in marriage and how they are treated in society, however Islam is not the cause of that.Densely Islamic populated countries have had female presidents, such as Indonesia, Turkey, Pakistan and so on. Clearly exemplifying how women are influential members of many countries.Women do not cover themselves because 'the man' can't control himself, they do it for themselves. Submission to Allah is the focal point of the religion, some women decide to cover themselves, as that is what they believe in and as humans they completely have the right to do so. On the other hand, many women do not cover themselves and can very successfully become compatible with 'western culture', whilst still remaining faithful to their religion.The fact that for you this is a list of just reason to hate a religion is frankly quite ignorant. Possibly you yourself are not compatible with 'Western culture'.For the portion sizes, i have never known anyone in my family to ever give a male more food then a female.Whilst were on a trailing subject of the subordination women experience, insulting another woman is possibly not the best route to go down.
Original post by Penpenpen
I really find your view on tge bit i starred interesting. There have been many discussions about the viel (which i personally don't where and i am pretty sure there is bot need) and coverings. You are the 3rd person with this view. I am very intrigued to why you think this. If it is no trouble and you don't mind could you explain this please? (The starred bit)

The problem is Penpenpen that its difficult to disentangle all the different possible outcomes of interpersonal relationships between the different sexes and cultures given variable (A) or variable (B) or (C).

I have said as much as I can as i am not a sociologist. It needs to be researched via yourself or others who are interested.

Good Luck!
I want you to be honest.
I'm not going to verbally abuse you or anything.
I just want honest reasons for why people hate Islam. I know WHY in some cases. But if you are against our religion, is it because you don't understand it? Or that you don't have any other examples of Muslim to prove what the media say about us wrong?

I've read the quran and i'm making my way through the hadiths

I don't like what i'm reading.............not. one. bit.
Reply 135
Original post by hilrho
None. Haven't ever been a part of a 'muslim community'. My mums a diplomat and I literally grew up around people of every background there could be that I can't seriously tell you I mix with a certain kind more than the other. I'm art of a highly globalised culture.

It's hard to explain it to people who's only ever grown up in their home country but I'm a third culture kid - we're just different like that. Although a majority of my friends are Norwegian and Swiss but that's because they're much more open-minded and globalised imo.

@Foo.mp3 is the only person so far on here who seems to understand the kind of environment Im a part of, and he's much better at explaining it than I weirdly.

Would you ask me the same thing if I said I converted to Christianity?

Do you hope be accepted into the Muslim community?

I would ask the same thing, if you believed the Bible was the word of God and you were actively doing things that contradict it
Original post by May.Yaqub
There is a massive difference between the culture of a person and their religion.

Culture and religion is part and parcel of the same thing.

Weirdly St Paul and Mohammed (so both "holy books" state) went to Arabia , had a vision and came out preaching and writing "holy texts".

The big difference between the two was - one was a big city dweller from a multi-cultural empire, the other was a arab from a mono-arabic culture.

Thus, when St Paul preached that you don't have to be Jewish to be a Christian, you could carry on being a greek or an arab or a roman and do what greeks or romans do, he was preaching to URBAN MULTI-CULTURAL communities - the religion was a mirror of the urban culture he was living in.

When Mohammed preached to the Arabs he was preaching, to some extent, a mirror to the mono-culture of arabia.

Yes sometimes Paul did write to specific cultural groups - for example he wrote the letter to "Galatians" (these are Celtic people, not so different to the people of the UK - they live in the area now called Kurdish). If you read these 10 pages, it reads, in part, like a hippy commune, 'love and peace' with girls and boys with flowers in their hair, playing guitars and just hanging out and having a good time - not too different to the time in the 1960s with Jimi Hendrix or woodstock. There are people out there who believe that Woodstock was foretold in the Bible.

Then you get Mohammed, the pure, mono-culture that so many people from, lets face it, right wing backgrounds, dream about. Where everyone is the same. Same laws, same way of dressing, same ways of fasting/dieting, same ways ... Its the religion of small communities where to be different is noticed.

Perhaps listen to the song from Cabaret - ("Tomorrow belongs to me" )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNMVMNmrqJE

If you take it to the very last line of this song (its considered one of the greatest hollywood moments ever, so its worth listening to even if you don't like what I'm saying) it becomes pretty scary if you think its possible that your religion or political party or culture has any extremist sections within it that could gain power via the "back door" .
(edited 7 years ago)
I want you to be honest.
I'm not going to verbally abuse you or anything.
I just want honest reasons for why people hate Islam. I know WHY in some cases. But if you are against our religion, is it because you don't understand it? Or that you don't have any other examples of Muslim to prove what the media say about us wrong?

A few reasons:

a) Fallacious: There are a number of contradicting and illogical beliefs in Islam;
b) Violent: No faith that dictates death as a punishment for an act or belief is acceptable as morally just;
c) Fear-driven: Allah is shown as an egotistical and malicious being, who at times merciful, will punish individuals for trivial transgressions;
d) History: The fact is that Islam just happened to be the victorious ideology, at a time when a multitude of faiths and ideologies were present. This victory was achieved through unprecedented levels of violence;
e) Ambiguous: As an ideology, Islam remains inaccessible to the majority of people. It requires a high level of education and thought, and consequently can be manipulated to fit either a peaceful or violent agenda.

I also have a number of issues with the impact Islam has had on culture in Muslim-dominated nations but I feel that it's beyond the scope of this discussion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RobML
Do you hope be accepted into the Muslim community?

Did you not read my previous post? Nope. I don't care what others whether muslim or non-muslim thinks - I feel religion is a personal thing and it's between a person and their personal god/deity/thingamajig/whatever.

Original post by RobML
I would ask the same thing, if you believed the Bible was the word of God and you were actively doing things that contradict it

Ever consider the fact that maybe I have a different interpretation and therefore don't see myself contradicting it
Reply 139
Original post by hilrho
Did you not read my previous post? Nope. I don't care what others whether muslim or non-muslim thinks - I feel religion is a personal thing and it's between a person and their personal god/deity/thingamajig/whatever.

Ever consider the fact that maybe I have a different interpretation and therefore don't see myself contradicting it

What compels you to identify as Muslim when you don't identify with Muslims?

In what way do you interpret things differently? The "laws" regarding sexual relations are pretty unambiguous and explicit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest