The Student Room Group

Why can't this site bring back negs?

Poll

Should we bring back negs

Some things need to be negged and I really want to neg some users (mainly anyone who insults islam or supports UKIP). I'm fed up of having to pretend that everyone opinion on this site is valuable and I hate seeing idiotic posts get reps and no negs. We need to bring them back NOW.

Scroll to see replies

We do need to bring back negs. I miss the good ol' days...
Reply 2
Agree. I loved the negs. The net balance of your posts was a much better indicator of merit and it stopped all but the most popular growing extreme green gem wealth. Strange that people could feel harassed by negging in this meaningless virtual world. The only upside is that it discourages the trolls that thought it was clever to be controversial on everything and to have red gems as a badge of dishonour.
Reply 3
Probably because people don't want to have their feelings hurt :tongue:
Why are you of all people suggesting we bring negs back?

You'd have like -8 gems
Original post by intelligent con
I'm fed up of having to pretend that everyone opinion on this site is valuable

Having seen some of the bilge you post, as am I.
If they bring back negs, they need to have the ability to neg anons as everybody that cares about rep would just post on anon, as they do now.
Reply 7
Maybe cuz Negs brings the number of users down, which in turn affects advertising revenue, which in turn affects profits.
I did A level Econ.
:tongue:
I'm pretty close to hitting 11 gems. Pre neg ban I was -7.
Original post by M14B
Maybe cuz Negs brings the number of users down, which in turn affects advertising revenue, which in turn affects profits.
I did A level Econ.
:tongue:

Yet you haven't accounted for AdBlock and the fact that ad revenue can be click-based rather than view-based. :wink:

Original post by DiddyDec
I'm pretty close to hitting 11 gems. Pre neg ban I was -7.

How close? :holmes:
Some things need to be negged and I really want to neg some users (mainly anyone who insults islam or supports UKIP).

Congratulations! You've just highlighted exactly why they won't bring it back: its potential for abuse by idiots.
Reply 11
Some things need to be negged and I really want to neg some users (mainly anyone who insults islam or supports UKIP). I'm fed up of having to pretend that everyone opinion on this site is valuable and I hate seeing idiotic posts get reps and no negs. We need to bring them back NOW.

Those damn Islamophobes!!! :angry: How dare they say anything against such perfect faultless religion???

Spoiler

Neg rep restricts free debate. What sort of a debate is it if you get negged by anyone who disagrees?
Reply 13
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Neg rep restricts free debate. What sort of a debate is it if you get negged by anyone who disagrees?

Or you get people not bothering to respond to people's tripe.
Reply 14
OP, you know you spend too much time here when you start caring about the online reputations...
I don't want them back, it annoyed me too much when people had a well reasoned opinion but got negged just because it was a different view to the one someone else held.

So instead of having to defend your illogical and terrible views, you can just lazily neg posts without actually getting into the meat of why..

Great idea Steinmetz
Original post by Hydeman

How close? :holmes:

1121, pretty close.
The majority of people who say they miss neg rep weren't even on TSR when neg was around. :toofunny: Rep should be removed entirely; it serves no function at all.
you lost 40% of your rep in a single neg-storm you can post here...

:shakecane:

*bear™ polishes his bust of Churchill with his tattered union jack underpants*

Quick Reply

Latest