The Student Room Group

Watches banned from the exam room

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inexorably
I don't see the fuss, it's a necessary precaution and if you need to check the time you can use the clock in the exam hall.

It's slightly inconvenient but so what.

I'm always sat on the back row about 20 meters away from the thing and it's frustrating to have to squint at it in order to work out what time it is, especially since we were allowed them last year
Original post by ThatLemming
on the exam sheet it says no watches with an ability to store data (smart watches) are allowed so I assumed my cheap £10 watch that can only tell the time would be fine but our exams officer came in and told us to put them under the desks for that exam and not to bring them to any other exams

Thats horrible :/ I hate this rule , like why?
Original post by Ayaz789
Thats horrible :/ I hate this rule , like why?

I think the official line from the exams officer is that 'it would take too much time to check all of your watches' so she's just outright banned them (including in our resit exams where there's literally 20 of us doing it!!)

but I've been speaking to other frustrated students at my college and we're like we wouldn't mind getting to the exam earlier to have them checked or even if they were checked on the way in (there's one door that we can use to enter the exam hall)
It would anot and distratc me because im used to hvaing my watch on the desk and check it on a regular basis. Its easier to check that wau than have to peer round or across at the clock on the wall. its about routine. As for the people cheating then they are idiots for taking such a risk. O'd make a complaint because it sounds like its something the school is imposing rather than the exam board.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think the official line from the exams officer is that 'it would take too much time to check all of your watches' so she's just outright banned them (including in our resit exams where there's literally 20 of us doing it!!)

but I've been speaking to other frustrated students at my college and we're like we wouldn't mind getting to the exam earlier to have them checked or even if they were checked on the way in (there's one door that we can use to enter the exam hall)

It really annoys me this does :frown:
exactly!! ours are big clocks on the wall but the backing is slightly grey and there's shadows that make working out whether it 23 or 24 past difficult

I'm doing essay subjects and I know it sounds stupid but every tiny minute counts which is why I like being able to check my watch quickly

Yeah, I also do completely essay subjects, so timing is very very crucial. In Politics, for example, if I spend more than 15 minutes on 15 markers (which is very easy to do), then I'm screwed for the rest of the paper. Without my stopwatch life would be very difficult.

Original post by samb1234
According to exam board rules, you are still allowed a watch in the exam. However there are now so many different types of watches which are banned, that some centres will just ban watches in general outright. It is nearly impossible for the invigilators to check every single persons watch before the exam to check if it is allowed or not, so banning them is fair enough. You will still be able to see the wall clocks so it isn't really an issue

Not necessarily. Analogue clocks are hard to tell the exact time on sometimes, plus in a huge sports hall, students are often very far away from the clock and would struggle to see it. I'm also in a separate room for most of my exams, as I type, and my school has proven to be unreliable at checking clocks in generally-unused rooms - the clocks are often minutes off the actual time. I realise the latter problem is more specific to my school, but analogue clocks that are many metres away can't be relied upon.
Reply 26
In my school you are now only allowed watches if they are on the desk
Also I thought it would be interesting to add the fact that as I wear a hijab they have to check my ears as well to make sure i dont have any earphones in
Are you kidding me?! As a short sighed gal who hates glasses and contacts in exam type settings watches are my saving grace! I'd be having a minor breakdown over that!

That said i can understand the need for a ban on smartwatches. It's basically a smartphone strapped to you wrist. Cheater's dream come true. But traditional watches? Really?
Original post by Jehaan
In my school you are now only allowed watches if they are on the desk
Also I thought it would be interesting to add the fact that as I wear a hijab they have to check my ears as well to make sure i dont have any earphones in

I have really long thick hair that generally covers my ears and I've been asked to tie it back before so that they are sure I've not got headphones in under it. I found it kinda funny at the time because even I doubt I could hide the wires under my hair
Reply 29
Original post by TinyPhasma
I have really long thick hair that generally covers my ears and I've been asked to tie it back before so that they are sure I've not got headphones in under it. I found it kinda funny at the time because even I doubt I could hide the wires under my hair

Being in an all girls school I think they would have trouble getting ears with the number of people with thick hair. I don't think anyone has ever been asked to tie it up though as you would see the wire from wherever the device would be.
Original post by Jehaan
Being in an all girls school I think they would have trouble getting ears with the number of people with thick hair. I don't think anyone has ever been asked to tie it up though as you would see the wire from wherever the device would be.

There's been a trend in my school for putting headphones down the front of your shirt so the wires are hidden. In classes people have the headphones at the top of their collars and often have them plugged in all day. It's been going on for years now and it's been a problem around prelim time before I'm sure
If you had headphones on then how are you going to cheat witout it being so obvious. Would take plenty of time to fast forward to the relevant bits of a commentary.
The effort in cheating much better spent in learning the stuff.
Isn't it a JCQ regulation that students have to have a clock within their vision? If you can't see a clock properly during an exam, you should have the right to be moved to somewhere else where you can?
That is the dumbest thing I've heard all day. Hell naw, I'm not taking of my watch.
We are not allowed watches that store data or are web enabled but normal watches are fine but our exams teacher said that she thinks that all watches will be banned from exams in the future.
Is anyone else not allowed to wear any type of watch for their exams?

We can wear watches just not iWatches
Any peeps know or remember the Cassio calculator watches in the 90s..or the watch that could change the channel of a tele which used to wind the teacher up who decided it was watch a video lesson.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I time each section during my geography exams. For example, I'll set 45 minute on my watch to do section 1, so my watch will beep when 45 minutes is up. No-one seems to mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
No, I time each section during my geography exams. For example, I'll set 45 minute on my watch to do section 1, so my watch will beep when 45 minutes is up. No-one seems to mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Practical pacing :smile: good idea..I would do that with my coursework completion as I had so many to juggle!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest