The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE Chemistry Alternative to Practical

Hey, since I made a thread last time for Biology, thought I might as well make one for Chemistry.

This is mainly for 61 tomorrow :smile:

I know we'll have to label lab apparatus, read statistics, plot a graph and learn the ion tests. Anything else?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have any notes, tips or advice on how to answer the very last question in a paper 6 where we have to describe an experiment?
Original post by amarakhan
Does anyone have any notes, tips or advice on how to answer the very last question in a paper 6 where we have to describe an experiment?

It's usually titration, finding out strength/concentration of acids.
For titration:
Use same volume of the base e.g. NaOH, 10cm3
Use an indicator (add to base in flask)
Steadily drop acid from a burette into the flask till the solution becomes neutral (will be shown by the indicator) and note the volume of acid used.
Repeat with other acid using same volume of base.
Compare results, which one uses less acid is stronger acid.
Reply 3
Hello!
I have just finished the exam - I'm guessing that you have too! How did you find it? I thought it was alright although the six mark question on the back was hard - not sure I got any marks for that one! What did you put?
Original post by DhillonDodhia
It's usually titration, finding out strength/concentration of acids.
For titration:
Use same volume of the base e.g. NaOH, 10cm3
Use an indicator (add to base in flask)
Steadily drop acid from a burette into the flask till the solution becomes neutral (will be shown by the indicator) and note the volume of acid used.
Repeat with other acid using same volume of base.
Compare results, which one uses less acid is stronger acid.

Okay thanks
How did everyone find it?
Original post by lidzxxx
Hello!
What did you put?

Most people put either using a cruicible to ensure no smoke escapes and then measure the mass of the powder. However many others said to set up gas syringes in a similar way to testing the percentage of oxygen in air.
Okay thanks
How did everyone find it?

I didn't feel it went that well personally. D: Had trouble with question at end and the cations.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by whyistheskyblue
Most people put either using a cruicible to ensure no smoke escapes and then measure the mass of the powder. However many others said to set up gas syringes in a similar way to testing the percentage of oxygen in air.

Find mass of smoke
Then do mass of smoke-mass of calcium granules to find the mass of oxygen that reacted
How do you find the mass of smoke? Very confused on measuring the mass of a gas:s-smilie:
Original post by whyistheskyblue

I'm not 100% sure, however, I think a crucible won't work as you needed to find the maximum mass of oxygen, if you use a crucible, you may find that there isn't enough oxygen or there is too much oxygen in the crucible. If you open the lid the gas would escape, it's a bad question, I don't know the answer.
How do you find the mass of smoke? Very confused on measuring the mass of a gas:s-smilie:

You can't really determine the mass of gas on it's own, I don't think
Reply 11
Couple of questions :smile:

a) wtf was that first label in the simple distillation question. Was it a test tube? because I didn't know what else it could have been even if it had a hole in the middle :O

b) What collects first? Sure ethanol has a lower boiling point but it is "collected" in the beads....Surely water technically collects first in the beaker :/ idk

b) What the hell is the appearance of aqueous Chromium Bromide and how are we supposed to know

c) How did people answer the question about finding which one is more concentrated.....I wrote about connecting metal rods and a voltmeter. A higher voltage reading means its more concentrated as there are more dissociated H+ ions which can carry more charge
Original post by DJShaji
Couple of questions :smile:

a) wtf was that first label in the simple distillation question. Was it a test tube? because I didn't know what else it could have been even if it had a hole in the middle :O

b) What collects first? Sure ethanol has a lower boiling point but it is "collected" in the beads....Surely water technically collects first in the beaker :/ idk

b) What the hell is the appearance of aqueous Chromium Bromide and how are we supposed to know

c) How did people answer the question about finding which one is more concentrated.....I wrote about connecting metal rods and a voltmeter. A higher voltage reading means its more concentrated as there are more dissociated H+ ions which can carry more charge

a) fractionating column
b) yeah ethanol first because it has lower boiling point
b) no idea?!!
c) yeah that sounds right. I just did simple acid plus metal gives hydrogen, the one that produces more hydrogen is more concentrated
Reply 13
Was anyone else not taught the Chromium chloride cation tests??!
Reply 14
Original post by CIEEXAMSHWE
I'm not 100% sure, however, I think a crucible won't work as you needed to find the maximum mass of oxygen, if you use a crucible, you may find that there isn't enough oxygen or there is too much oxygen in the crucible. If you open the lid the gas would escape, it's a bad question, I don't know the answer.

Our chemistry teacher thinks it was the crucible experiment. You were supposed to open and close the lid periodically since it's a vigorous reaction but make sure the smoke doesn't escape.

Does anyone know the appearance of aq. chromium chloride? lol.

the rest of the paper was pretty easy but what effect does increasing the temperature have on the results of titration? i wrote no effect, anyone else?
Test was fine except last question
Original post by CIEEXAMSHWE
You can't really determine the mass of gas on it's own, I don't think

Yea u can lol
Mass of gas syringe by itself
mass of gas syringe plus smoke
mass of smoke = mass of gas syringe plus smoke-Mass of gas syringe by itself
Original post by msmeme
Our chemistry teacher thinks it was the crucible experiment. You were supposed to open and close the lid periodically since it's a vigorous reaction but make sure the smoke doesn't escape.

Does anyone know the appearance of aq. chromium chloride? lol.

the rest of the paper was pretty easy but what effect does increasing the temperature have on the results of titration? i wrote no effect, anyone else?

Its green
and yea its no effect
Original post by igcsehater
a) fractionating column
b) yeah ethanol first because it has lower boiling point
b) no idea?!!
c) yeah that sounds right. I just did simple acid plus metal gives hydrogen, the one that produces more hydrogen is more concentrated

its not the most hydrogen, its the one that produces hydrogen at the quickest rate
Original post by DhillonDodhia
its not the most hydrogen, its the one that produces hydrogen at the quickest rate

Just say that the one that produces the most vigorous effervescence is the acid that is more concentrated

Quick Reply