The Student Room Group

Sadiq Khan: There are too many "white men" on Transport for London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by JezWeCan!
Agreed, time will tell.

I too hope he isn't like Rahman, and there isn't any evidence that he is corrupt so far to be fair.

There's no evidence he is corrupt but he has a history of associating with intolerance and fundamentalists.
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Identity politics

Why? Can't we like, focus on welfare of individuals instead? Like making it safer to go out at night?

Identity politics can matter but by enlarge it shouldn't be the main concern as you say it should be about move forward as an entire group of people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tyreke
There's no evidence he is corrupt but he has a history of associating with intolerance and fundamentalists.

He is moderate, but engages with all shades of people. That is what you want in a Leader. You want people that will not be afraid of debating with everyone on every issue. Not all this rubbish, where political leaders are spinless plus run scared and hide rather than tackling issues head on.

Khan, who people are claiming is an Islamist, has been sent death threats from this same people. He has had to also get security support because of the safety of his family. Yet, people still say that he is an Islamist. It is tough, you are damned if you go one way and damned if you go the opposite direction.
dont understand why people are complaining. ideally you would want someone from every ethnic minority but that aint gonna happen. closest you could get is whites, blacks, asians
Original post by Daimonos
I'm all for white flight in London if it means less demand for property in London and thus lower property prices. Sadiq Khan for Prime Minister!

Are you muslim?
Original post by paul514
No, I have no evidence of that. I only have the fact that there is 16 members and they are all white it doesn't say anything about how they were picked, what the selection process was or what they have done in the job.

Even if it were done on colour of skin which is completely ridiculous it would be 2 none white board members out of 16 for it to be representative of the U.K. Population as only 12% of people aren't white

Posted from TSR Mobile

More represenative of london not UK....
Khan hasn't started very well has he?

Sacking people on the basis of the colour of their skin would be considered racist in anything but the looking glass world of left wing London, Labour politics...

Let's see who he DOES give all the plum jobs too, all the juicy contracts. If not qualified white people, already doing a good job, who? We saw with Lutfur Rahman how easy it is for a determined local politician to get away for years with "jobs for the boys" and rank financial corruption in our system of local government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33430696

Except he hasn't sacked anyone.
Hi first act as Mayor was to attend a Holocaust Memorial service but what an awful man he is.
Then he talked about how Labour needed to look outwards, to work and talk with businesses and conservative voters rather than just appealing to activists.
His first policy announcement as mayor was to announce an effective cut in bus fares allowing 2 for 1 journeys.
At this rate London will have Sharia Law in days...

Truly awful man and a horrific start. If only we had Zac Goldsmith and his dog whistle politics..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tyreke

.....as a human rights lawyer.
Deary me. What next, should we demonise all criminal lawyers for fraternizing with criminals?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
THANK GOD I DON'T LIVE IN ****ING LONDON

This man is on about the appearance of a board for ****ing transport

Why are you even in this thread then.... You know nothing.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Dear lord.

I'll try and word this clearly.

If a wealth of research highlights that minority group members face barriers in the workplace, do you think that one person going against the odds disproves the entire basis? Many others face such barriers, but because one was resilient, that one instance disproves all those who do face barriers?

This is such a common comment on here and it's just so ignorant. I always get such a response when I explain how children from poor backgrounds face disadvantages. You always get that one person who brings up a case of an entrepreneur who was raised in a council estate. People need to learn the difference between statistics and a single instance/ anecdote.

Well said. Reminds me of all the super capitalist American Dream type people who will point to one or two examples of rags to riches and use that to argue there is absolute equality of opportunity and that coming from a poor background is no disadvantage.

One only has to look at the campaign Khan faced which laughably tried to link him to extremism and terrorism and which played on religious and ethnic divides. So much so that it was slammed by numerous tories.
Original post by Jebedee
Are you muslim?

I'm about as muslim as Adolf Hitler
Original post by Bornblue
Except he hasn't sacked anyone.
Hi first act as Mayor was to attend a Holocaust Memorial service but what an awful man he is.
Then he talked about how Labour needed to look outwards, to work and talk with businesses and conservative voters rather than just appealing to activists.
His first policy announcement as mayor was to announce an effective cut in bus fares allowing 2 for 1 journeys.
At this rate London will have Sharia Law in days...

Truly awful man and a horrific start. If only we had Zac Goldsmith and his dog whistle politics..

I hold no brief for Zac Goldsmith who was no better a candidate than Khan. I don't live in London, but wouldn't have voted for either of them.

To the highlighted point, he hasn't sacked anyone YET. Give him a chance he has only been in post a couple of days...

But the OP referred to this speech:

London's transport authority is far too dominated by white men, Labour's mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan said today.There are currently 13 white men on the Transport for London board and just three women. Khan said he would ensure the board better reflected the "diversity" of Londoners if he becomes mayor."I will reshape TfL's board," he said during a speech in Brixton this morning."It needs to better reflect London's diversity in the interest of Londoners. Did you know there are 16 people on the board of TfL?"Thirteen of them are white men. Thirteen. Think about it . It only has three women on it. That's less than one in five. "

How is he going to "reshape" the board if he doesn't sack these insufficiently diverse people? He wants his own lackies in pronto, so I doubt he will wait for them all to retire.

And why is he doing it? Does he say they are bad at their job of overseeing Transport for London?

Oh no! It is because they are guilty of the heinous crime of being white and male...
Reply 152
.....as a human rights lawyer.
Deary me. What next, should we demonise all criminal lawyers for fraternizing with criminals?

I thought a lawyer would be slightly more meticulous in the analysis of a simple statement. Thanks for making the assumption I'm demonising him by pointing out a fact.

I wasn't alluding to who he represented as a lawyer.
I hold no brief for Zac Goldsmith who was no better a candidate than Khan. I don't live in London, but wouldn't have voted for either of them.

To the highlighted point, he hasn't sacked anyone YET. Give him a chance he has only been in post a couple of days...

But the OP referred to this speech:

London's transport authority is far too dominated by white men, Labour's mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan said today.There are currently 13 white men on the Transport for London board and just three women. Khan said he would ensure the board better reflected the "diversity" of Londoners if he becomes mayor."I will reshape TfL's board," he said during a speech in Brixton this morning."It needs to better reflect London's diversity in the interest of Londoners. Did you know there are 16 people on the board of TfL?"Thirteen of them are white men. Thirteen. Think about it . It only has three women on it. That's less than one in five. "

How is he going to "reshape" the board if he doesn't sack these insufficiently diverse people? He wants his own lackies in pronto, so I doubt he will wait for them all to retire.

And why is he doing it? Does he say they are bad at their job of overseeing Transport for London?

Oh no! It is because they are guilty of the heinous crime of being white and male...

Well lets wait until or if he actually does it before getting our knickers in a twist.
Personally i'm more interested in him sorting out rising transport and housing costs and he's already made a good start with the former.
Original post by Tyreke
I thought a lawyer would be slightly more meticulous in the analysis of a simple statement. Thanks for making the assumption I'm demonising him by pointing out a fact.

I wasn't alluding to who he represented as a lawyer.

So who are you talking about? Which dangerous extremists has he represented or endorsed? Which fundamentalists has he 'tolerated'? (Whatever that means)

Or are you going to follow Zac Goldsmith's dog whistle and point out the fact that he once was in the same tesco supermarket at the same time as someone who's third cousin is rumored to support Isis?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Implication
as much as I agree that most people are not Islamophobes, the cynic in me cannot believe this :tongue:

well surely that is your own problem which you have to work through?
Original post by raspberr1es
well surely that is your own problem which you have to work through?

i think the prejudices, stereotypes, irrational expectations etc. that exist in the world are everyone's problems.
Reply 157
So who are you talking about? Which dangerous extremists has he represented or endorsed? Which fundamentalists has he 'tolerated'? (Whatever that means)

Or are you going to follow Zac Goldsmith's dog whistle and point out the fact that he once was in the same tesco supermarket at the same time as someone who's third cousin is rumored to support Isis?

Lol, I appreciate the humour, but I hope you don't let emotions get the better of you in court, I suspect it may be detrimental to your case. I don't care for Goldsmith, I don't care for the majority of politicians, I'm an avid seeker of the truth.

Below is a summary of his history of association with 'unsavoury' characters.

1. Dr Azam Tamimi threatened 'fire throughout the world', at a rally protesting the images created of Muhammad. Mr Khan shared a platform with this man, and condoned his language, describing it as 'flowery'.

2. Sadiq Khan spoke at an event called the 'Global Peace and Unity Festival', organised by the Islam channel, who Ofcom found guilty of extremism both before and after Khan's appearance.

3. In 2012, Khan spoke at an event organised by FOSIS. FOSIS have welcomed hate preachers onto student campuses. One year before Khan spoke at the event, there was a parliamentary effort to ban the group on account of its links to extremism.

4. In 2003, Mr Khan spoke at an event alongside convicted terrorists Yasser Al Siri and Sajil Shahid, the man responsible for training the ring leader of the 7/7 bombers, Mohammed Sadiq Khan.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well lets wait until or if he actually does it before getting our knickers in a twist.
Personally i'm more interested in him sorting out rising transport and housing costs and he's already made a good start with the former.

It indicates his extreme left wing mindset. (Or he is just mouthing lefty platitudes as cover for getting his pliant mates in). Maybe both...

As for his sorting out the "housing cost" crisis, how is he going to achieve that?

Does the mayoralty even have the power to do so?
Original post by MrSplash
More represenative of london not UK....

Imagine if I said nearly all mp's must be white because in almost every constituency the majority of people there are white.

That's the argument you just used.

The only thing that matters is do they do the job right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending