The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The main reason British Pakistanis haven't progressed to the same level as British Indians have is because of the weird practise at least half have of importing wives and husbands from their village "back home" to marry. This impedes social mobility and integration significantly and in a way keeps a lot of them in the first generation immigrant phase. On the other hand, British Indians tend to almost exclusively marry people from their community in the UK instead of importing them from the home country from what I've noticed.
Also, British Pakistanis tend to send significant amounts of their money to Pakistan, and often spend it on building huge mansions worth millions of pounds but then they don't even live in them most of the time lol. I don't think British Indians tend to spend a lot of money in India though I could be wrong.
Original post by Ravenous
The main reason British Pakistanis haven't progressed to the same level as British Indians have is because of the weird practise at least half have of importing wives and husbands from their village "back home" to marry. This impedes social mobility and integration significantly and in a way keeps a lot of them in the first generation immigrant phase. On the other hand, British Indians tend to almost exclusively marry people from their community in the UK instead of importing them from the home country from what I've noticed.
Also, British Pakistanis tend to send significant amounts of their money to Pakistan, and often spend it on building huge mansions worth millions of pounds but then they don't even live in them most of the time lol. I don't think British Indians tend to spend a lot of money in India though I could be wrong.

Trust me, they do :yes:

My grandparents sent over quite a fair amount of money to India to build a house even before things were properly sorted and settled in the UK. :facepalm:
Their plan was to retire in India, but that didn't work out and the house is only used for about a month a year :colonhash:

I know plenty of other British Indians (family and non-family) who did the same.
Reply 142
Original post by neal95
They should change the name British Columbia. Nothing British about it. Canada is a liberal disgrace, that name is not befitting of our great nation

Stfu
Reply 143
Original post by slade p
But there are still many Khalistan supporters in Canada, they are even on YouTube with their b.s. trying to brainwash people and cause trouble with their extremist ideology.

Since this topic isn't about the planned prosecution of minorities in India and their demand for justice. I won't argue with you further.
Reply 144
Original post by nucdev
Trust me, they do :yes:

My grandparents sent over quite a fair amount of money to India to build a house even before things were properly sorted and settled in the UK. :facepalm:
Their plan was to retire in India, but that didn't work out and the house is only used for about a month a year :colonhash:

I know plenty of other British Indians (family and non-family) who did the same.

Jalandhar in particular has thousands upon thousands of empty homes because their owners live abroad.
Original post by simmys
Stfu

get off this and get back to doing your duty its all ur good 4
Reply 146
i think it's because of values of the parents. And this might end up racist but and streoptyplical. Let's bring up values of parents of the Indians. They worship money and are usually stingy. While Pakistanis spend money to show off there wealth and have to give money to the poor as it's part of there religion. I could be wrong and biased since I'm Pakistani though.
Original post by Thanbir.33
that's offensive but I guess you're right

if you're asian yeh
Original post by simmys
Are statistical facts offensive? :s-smilie:

if you're asian and bengali yeh
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
*Grabbing popcorn for India vs Pakistan argument.

Mainly because Indians are just amazing tbh :u: And all that curry and samosas keep us going.

How to get people off benefits- Threaten to give them a one way ticket to Bangladesh/Pakistan unless they find a job :colone:

All south asians make great curries and pastries
Original post by OGGUS
i think it's because of values of the parents. And this might end up racist but and streoptyplical. Let's bring up values of parents of the Indians. They worship money and are usually stingy. While Pakistanis spend money to show off there wealth and have to give money to the poor as it's part of there religion. I could be wrong and biased since I'm Pakistani though.

Really? you think you could be biased?
So you're saying that because Pakistanis spend money, and donate it to the poor, they are not well established economically?
WOW, you are clearly one to talk about values aren't you?
Islam considers the spending of wealth to show off to be 'The sin of Riyaa'.
But then again I am just a stupid money worshipping prick, I guess Ill just have to , tell my parents to stop working hard, or else they may end up being stingy, and start living the honourable way, off benefits in community housing, like any self-respecting Pakistani right?
Agree @nucdev?
Original post by ssshah2
I guess Ill just have to , tell my parents to stop working hard, or else they may end up being stingy, and start living the honourable way, off benefits in community housing, like any self-respecting Pakistani right?

Pakistanis have the highest home ownership rate in the country (for those aged 25-34 anyway)

Because Indians in Britain are mainly doctors or engineers

Pakistanis in Britain work in corner shops or are taxi drivers
Original post by Asklepios

Pakistanis in Britain work in corner shops or are taxi drivers

I thought it was Indians who are known for working in corner shops, lol

"With a name like Patel she must work in a corner shop: Judge resigns after outrageous racial slur on Asian victim in harassment trial"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2864136/Miss-Patel-won-t-doing-important-ll-working-corner-shop-licence-immigration-judge-forced-quit-racial-slur.html#comments

And there's no shortage of Pakistani doctors as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2738067/Dr-Khan-likely-Asian-surname-common-doctors-Patel-second.html
Reply 154
Original post by ssshah2
Really? you think you could be biased?
So you're saying that because Pakistanis spend money, and donate it to the poor, they are not well established economically?
WOW, you are clearly one to talk about values aren't you?
Islam considers the spending of wealth to show off to be 'The sin of Riyaa'.
But then again I am just a stupid money worshipping prick, I guess Ill just have to , tell my parents to stop working hard, or else they may end up being stingy, and start living the honourable way, off benefits in community housing, like any self-respecting Pakistani right?
Agree @nucdev?

Sorry dad I was wrong
Original post by Ravenous
Pakistanis have the highest home ownership rate in the country (for those aged 25-34 anyway)

I fail to agree....

http://www.demos.co.uk/blog/why-are-british-indians-more-successful-than-pakistanis/
Original post by OGGUS
Sorry dad I was wrong

ikr, now should I send you off to the home of a distant relative in a foreign land to straighten you out? After all that is the common practice isn't it?

That doesn't mention anything about home ownership. What I said was correct and is from 2011 census data. http://www.ethnicity.ac.uk/medialibrary/briefingsupdated/how-has-the-rise-in-private-renting-disproportionately-affected-some-ethnic-groups.pdf
Pakistanis have always had a fairly high home ownership rate, and the young particularly do compared to others probably because they stay living in their parents house in their 20s whereas people from White families tend to leave their house at 18 then start renting.
Original post by Aztec123
I thought it was Indians who are known for working in corner shops, lol

"With a name like Patel she must work in a corner shop: Judge resigns after outrageous racial slur on Asian victim in harassment trial"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2864136/Miss-Patel-won-t-doing-important-ll-working-corner-shop-licence-immigration-judge-forced-quit-racial-slur.html#comments

And there's no shortage of Pakistani doctors as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2738067/Dr-Khan-likely-Asian-surname-common-doctors-Patel-second.html

Means nothing, just that Muslims have the same surname more commonly?

If you look at the GMC figures for the number of foreign-qualified doctors:

image.jpg

Then compare to the actual statistics for UK foreign born population, 3.4% of Indians are doctors, 2.1% of Pakistanis are. Of course both still higher than the 0.3% of British born people that are doctors

Surname doesnt necessarily show whether someone is from India or Pakistan.
There are plenty of Indians who have the surname "Khan".
Similarly there must be some Pakistanis (probably very, very few) who have the surname "Patel".

Latest

Trending

Trending