The Student Room Group

Sadiq Khan: There are too many "white men" on Transport for London

Scroll to see replies

Just sayin... :smile:

Reply 181
Original post by PrincePaul57993

I know black guys in Liverpool who have done petty crimes in a black area, they got smacked on the wrist, the minute they went to the white suburbs, they got 8 and 9 year jail sentences.

I appreciate the effort you've put into your comment. I agree with much of it, but there's parts I'd like to offer my opinion on.

The way they treat black people was disgusting, of course it was, I'm in no way gonna make excuses for that.

I think we agree on a lot of points, the only point I disagreed with was the Liverpool one.

'You must think it's #1' I'm not sure why you've made the assumption I believe it is number one?

Is the issue you mention about whites who leave Uni getting jobs easier perhaps a mixture of both race and class? I know many white people who have struggled to get a job simply because they were working class and didn't have the benefit of a well connected family etc. I thnk this point perhaps extends to the point you make about Black people not being in positions of authority. Firstly, due to the low percentage of Black people in the UK you are less likely to see them in the highest positions, as opposed to White people.

The bad experience my sister had was not from Black people, it was from another minority group.

I know you are good people, I have only had a handful of black friends, I wish I knew more but I don't. Every black person I have come into contact with has been kind, entertaining and chilled out, something I love in people.

To conclude, the main issue I had with your post was that you seemed to think that the majority of white people are racist and cannot be subject to racism. I genuinely hope you do not think this is true, because it really isn't, I don't know a single racist white person. Obviously some people are racist, and that's disgusting, but I really hope you realise most of us aren't. Like I mentioned in my other post to you, I admire your enthusiasm and beliefs, I'd rather have you as a friend than the majority of our generation who seem to be unthinking sheep :smile:

That's not how it works. For example in Liverpool. You won't see black people working anywhere. Now that is either one of two things

1) Black people dont want work are lazy and want to soak up benfits
2) There is systemactic racism at work

3) Blacks make up 1.9% of the population of Liverpool.
Original post by Tyreke
I don't know the manner in which his associations took place, and so rightly I shouldn't have made the comment without knowing this. Under these circumstances I realise it was wrong mention his association with these people. I'd like to thank you for debating with me as it has enlightened me, which is the purpose of me partaking in these discussions. I will reiterate however, my initial comment about his association with extremists was not an attempt to smear him as you seem to have suggested.

Fair enough and I respect you for that.
The reality is 'association' by itself is a nothing term. There are a few on the left who have indeed supported or at least sympathised with extremists. However Khan is certainly not one of them.
It has begun then.

White-flight to another country, more like.

Time to brush up on my second language skills.
Original post by Tyreke
I appreciate the effort you've put into your comment. I agree with much of it, but there's parts I'd like to offer my opinion on.

The way they treat black people was disgusting, of course it was, I'm in no way gonna make excuses for that.

I think we agree on a lot of points, the only point I disagreed with was the Liverpool one.

'You must think it's #1' I'm not sure why you've made the assumption I believe it is number one?

Is the issue you mention about whites who leave Uni getting jobs easier perhaps a mixture of both race and class? I know many white people who have struggled to get a job simply because they were working class and didn't have the benefit of a well connected family etc. I thnk this point perhaps extends to the point you make about Black people not being in positions of authority. Firstly, due to the low percentage of Black people in the UK you are less likely to see them in the highest positions, as opposed to White people.

The bad experience my sister had was not from Black people, it was from another minority group.

I know you are good people, I have only had a handful of black friends, I wish I knew more but I don't. Every black person I have come into contact with has been kind, entertaining and chilled out, something I love in people.

To conclude, the main issue I had with your post was that you seemed to think that the majority of white people are racist and cannot be subject to racism. I genuinely hope you do not think this is true, because it really isn't, I don't know a single racist white person. Obviously some people are racist, and that's disgusting, but I really hope you realise most of us aren't. Like I mentioned in my other post to you, I admire your enthusiasm and beliefs, I'd rather have you as a friend than the majority of our generation who seem to be unthinking sheep :smile:
But when I say whites are racist. I don't say this meaning that you or white people are members of the KKK or any far right group. I have racism in me.

But I admit it.

But I say it, in the same way that I'd say that car is blue. I'd say it, meaning that you see things that favour your group

Seeing things in a way that favour your own race is pretty natural. It does not mean you are evil or something. It is just the way you were brought up. And if you grew up in Europe or spent a good number of years there racist thinking is nearly impossible to escape. Because of that I do not regard it as a moral failing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 186
But when I say whites are racist. I don't say this meaning that you or white people are members of the KKK or any far right group. I have racism in me.

But I admit it.

But I say it, in the same way that I'd say that car is blue. I'd say it, meaning that you see things that favour your group

Seeing things in a way that favour your own race is pretty natural. It does not mean you are evil or something. It is just the way you were brought up. And if you grew up in Europe or spent a good number of years there racist thinking is nearly impossible to escape. Because of that I do not regard it as a moral failing.

I understand subconcious or 'learned thinking' over years and years can make us unable to see what is really in front of our eyes sometimes. But I'm struggling to think of an example in everyday life, so if you could provide me with one I would be grateful.

I believe myself to be not racist in the slightest, so if there's anything I'm doing subconciously that's racist I'd want to know.
Original post by JezWeCan!
Just sayin... :smile:

Which part of Tower Hamlets was this taken?
White people in the 60's used to say what you are saying right now to my grand father. That is, they used to say "Good job you didn't grow up in the 20s"

The denial of racism is essential to it's maintenance.

But I guess white denial has become such a widespread phenomenon nowadays, that most whites are unwilling to entertain even the mildest of suggestions that racism might still be issues.

If you want to know about whether or not racism is a problem, it would probably do you best to ask the folks who are its targets. Now if you want to think that black people are lting, then that's on you.

We, after all, are the ones who must, as a matter of survival, learn what it is, and how and when it’s operating. Whites on the other hand, are the persons who have never had to know a thing about it, and who have always had a keen interest in covering it up.

Reverse racism

Posted from TSR Mobile
LOL london is doomed............more so now with sadiq
Original post by Tyreke
I understand subconcious or 'learned thinking' over years and years can make us unable to see what is really in front of our eyes sometimes. But I'm struggling to think of an example in everyday life, so if you could provide me with one I would be grateful.

I believe myself to be not racist in the slightest, so if there's anything I'm doing subconciously that's racist I'd want to know.

You say you are not racist but then you do post about "No Whites At The BBC" even though the BBC is run by whites. That's type of thing they post on stormfront. Just to try and wipe up this white victimology

That is an example of seeing things that favour your group. Your denial of racism of racism is an example of your racism.
Original post by Implication
i think the prejudices, stereotypes, irrational expectations etc. that exist in the world are everyone's problems.

you called yourself 'a cynic' - that was what I was alluding you should work on, rather than seeing the bad in people immediately.
White Genocide
Reply 193
You say you are not racist but then you do post about "No Whites At The BBC" even though the BBC is run by whites. That's type of thing they post on stormfront. Just to try and wipe up this white victimology

That is an example of seeing things that favour your group. Your denial of racism of racism is an example of your racism.

Stop twisting my words. The thread is entitled "No whites allowed", that is not misleading. The advert did not allow white people to apply. How can that in anyway be deemed as me being racist by correctly stating what the article illustrated.

I'm finding your discourse hard to follow. In what ways are you racist? i.e. In what ways do you see things that favour your group? Maybe another example would help me understand clearer.
Original post by paul514
Imagine if I said nearly all mp's must be white because in almost every constituency the majority of people there are white.

That's the argument you just used.

The only thing that matters is do they do the job right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definetly yes.
However u can say people who better represent their cinstituency may be able to do a hetter job anyway. This is representative democracy......
Original post by Tyreke

I've lived nearly my entire life as an extreme minority among black and Asian people. What isn't talked about is that a huge portion of the damage that historic racism has done is in their culture and minds. A great deal of belief in discrimination having happened against one's self is in the mind in that it isn't really provable and when you tell someone to expect discrimination because they are black as they are growing up this causes the mind to look for it everywhere. There is actually a quirk or two in the brain that makes this particularly dangerous such as the brain's ability to match abstract vague patterns and its predictive anticipation methods.

Affirmative action is unacceptable and no one should really have to argue with that. Not only because it is condescending and actually undermines the people you are trying to help but because it often ends up being racist itself and legitimately pitches races against one another. As soon as affirmative action starts, that's it, I'm leaving London, joining white flight and sticking to my own kind.

However certain things might improve the situation not only where discrimination may actually exist but to undo some of the mental illness historic situations have imposed on following generations but it needs to be done with great care.

I believe that all jobs should be posted through a single public service. This should be mandatory for most jobs. There should also be more openness about salaries and the result of job searches linked into the same system. However I am cautious on the openness because it can work both ways. I've earned my salary through talent, contribution and hard work. I wouldn't feel comfortable coming under attack from colleagues that are jelly. I've encountered people with Dunning Kruger or that simply wouldn't be qualitifed to truly judge me and they are scary. On the other hand, I am reasonably qualified to judge others and I would like to know if someone is unfairly earning more than me so it works both ways.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tyreke
Stop twisting my words. The thread is entitled "No whites allowed", that is not misleading. The advert did not allow white people to apply. How can that in anyway be deemed as me being racist by correctly stating what the article illustrated.

I'm finding your discourse hard to follow. In what ways are you racist? i.e. In what ways do you see things that favour your group? Maybe another example would help me understand clearer.

Yes. Doing a post saying "No Whites Allowed"

You are seeing things in a way that favour your own race. Seeing things in a way that favour your own race is pretty natural. It does not mean you are evil or something. It is just the way you were brought up.

I believe that all white people and even many people of colour raised in a society where racism has been (and still is) so prevalent, will have internalized elements of racist thinking: certain beliefs, stereotypes, assumptions, and judgments about others and themselves.

So in countries like the UK where beliefs in European/white superiority and domination have been historically embedded, it is likely that everyone in such places will have internalized some of that conditioning.

For example - Your take whitenesss for granted and don't see the racism when you look at pictures of Jesus as a white man, as Mary as white women, You don't see the racism when your taught that whiute people are fatthers of science, the fathers of maths, the fathers of civilisations.

Now I think that is very racist white supremacist view of the world.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MrSplash
Definetly yes.
However u can say people who better represent their cinstituency may be able to do a hetter job anyway. This is representative democracy......

That assumes someone is defined by their colour, sex or religion.

The only logical way of appointing someone to do pretty much anything is the best person to do the job regardless of their sex, colour or religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
That assumes someone is defined by their colour, sex or religion.

The only logical way of appointing someone to do pretty much anything is the best person to do the job regardless of their sex, colour or religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you define somone then......XD

And your assuming an ethnic minority cant even do the job or cant be best for the job. Racist?
Original post by MrSplash
How do you define somone then......XD

And your assuming an ethnic minority cant even do the job or cant be best for the job. Racist?

I never said one was better than the other so I'm assuming nothing. It's far more likely a white person is the best of the applicants for a job on the basis that there are nine times more of them but that's it.

As for how do you define someone that's simple get to know them.

Defining someone is different from labelling someone

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending