The Student Room Group

Manchester police sorry for Allahu ackbar chants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord Samosa
It's bad enough us Muslims have to see terrorists use that phrase whilst they kill people, it's insulting. Why use it again in a mock drill? I'm sure that it isn't the most vital part of this drill.

To make it realistic. Would you prefer them doing the drill in teletubbie outfits?
The issue I see is, it can be seen as associating the phrase with just terrorist attacks.

When it's followed almost immediately by an explosion and rapid machine gun fire there's not a lot else it can be mistaken for.

The whole point of the exercise was to be realistic and to put reactive forces through their paces. This was exactly what that needed.

What they didn't need was for the video to be made public. Just brought on a whole lot of trouble from people who don't understand the scenario.
Original post by BaconandSauce
'Long live the Judean Popular People's Front'

"**** off, this is the People's Front of Judea"
Original post by ivybridge
You are both missing the point. It was unnecessary. The point is it's a terrorist attack. You did not need to shout anything specific out. You could have said "BLAH" out loud for all it ****ing mattered.

It needs to replicate an authentic situation, and unfortunately on many occasions thats whats normally shouted out before an attack. They are just words:

'sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you'
Original post by Lawliettt
To make it realistic. Would you prefer them doing the drill in teletubbie outfits?

That would be interesting tbh :lol:

Original post by Drewski
When it's followed almost immediately by an explosion and rapid machine gun fire there's not a lot else it can be mistaken for.

The whole point of the exercise was to be realistic and to put reactive forces through their paces. This was exactly what that needed.

What they didn't need was for the video to be made public. Just brought on a whole lot of trouble from people who don't understand the scenario.

Idk, I just don't see how it's so important in the drill. Ultimately it's the action itself and aftermath that they're preparing for.
Original post by AverageExcellence
It needs to replicate an authentic situation, and unfortunately on many occasions thats whats normally shouted out before an attack. They are just words:

'sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you'

Yes but worss do hurt and they do have an impact and that is exactly why you're all so adament its okay. Screw this PC ******** free speech argument.
Original post by Drewski
No. It wasn't. It was preparation specifically for a type of attack perpetrated by Islamic terrorists, therefore it was entirely relevant.

No it wasn't - the attack is important. Not some remark assosciating it with Islam. At the end of the day, if the IRA blew people up or ISIS did, nobody cares whether they're Catholic or Islamic, they care that they have been attacked.
Idk, I just don't see how it's so important in the drill. Ultimately it's the action itself and aftermath that they're preparing for.

I do.

I was once on an exercise where actors who had lost limbs were dressed up and provided with make up to make it look like the arm / leg they didn't have had been blown off a matter of seconds ago. That was done to a) add to the realism and b) to see if you could cope with it.

This is exactly the same. If you don't make the scenario as realistic as possible then you don't learn from it. You don't get into it. It then just becomes a waste of time and money.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
I do.

I was once on an exercise where actors who had lost limbs were dressed up and provided with make up to make it look like the arm / leg they didn't have had been blown off a matter of seconds ago. That was done to a) add and b) to see if you could cope with it.

This is exactly the same. If you don't make the scenario as realistic as possible then you don't learn from it. You don't get into it. It then just becomes a waste of time and money.

Oh, and because a couple of words nobody can undestand makes such a pit of difference to the effectiveness of the attack and its resolution. No.
Even if these Muslims let it go and didn't say anything this one time, it would get pretty irritating drill after drill though wouldn't it?
No it wasn't - the attack is important. Not some remark assosciating it with Islam. At the end of the day, if the IRA blew people up or ISIS did, nobody cares whether they're Catholic or Islamic, they care that they have been attacked.

The style of attack is the key part.

They were rehearsing for a particular type of attack, one that has been conducted by Islamic terrorists, one that has been threatened by Islamic terrorists on British shopping centres. Therefore in this scenario it was entirely relevant.

They will conduct different exercises to prepare for different threats.
Oh, and because a couple of words nobody can undestand makes such a pit of difference to the effectiveness of the attack and its resolution. No.

I come back to my original point. You simply don't understand how these kinds of exercises work - and how people learn from them - because you're too busy being offended.

No point trying to explain it to you.
Im no muslim but i have to say this was slightly excessive by the police. It's just unnecessary imo, if they wanted more realism they could have had generic screams and shouting instead of this phrase. They should have known it would have caused offence.
Yes but worss do hurt and they do have an impact and that is exactly why you're all so adament its okay. Screw this PC ******** free speech argument.

That's not it at all if he ran in shouting something racist or offensive and 'blew himself up' then it would be another story but it was merely replicating a terrorist situation with, what is perfectly valid and fair to say, realistic dialogue in a realistic setting to simulate an authentic terrorist attack experience for the purposes of CT.

If they were simulating a far right wing extremist running in screaming white power and shouting a load of racist abuse off whilst pretending to gun people down would you be offended by the racism and defammatory language the actor would use? you shouldn't because its there to build up details and nuances which create a more immersive experience.

The bottom line is that it does not belittle or erode Islamic beliefs or practices by saying the phrase especially within this specific context. If it was just a bobby on the beat shouting it out for fun to a passer by then yes but in this context it is fair and just.

Why should we even act out nazi scenes because they're offensive to jews, oh wait jews realise that dramatic effect and racism are completely different.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
I come back to my original point. You simply don't understand how these kinds of exercises work - and how people learn from them - because you're too busy being offended.

No point trying to explain it to you.

You have explained it and I absolutely disagree. That's all.

Totally because not agreeing with you means I don't get it. No. And I'm not at all offended - I'm not muslim - I simply think its disgusting. The West is making things far more difficult than they need to be and far harder for the average muslim person who wants what everyone else wants - a normal damn life.
The West is making things far more difficult than they need to be and far harder for the average muslim person who wants what everyone else wants - a normal damn life.

Oh behave.

Threats have been made. The emergency services are doing what they can to be ready in case such a thing were to happen.

If they didn't, and through their ignorance of such events allowed people to die if such an event did occur you'd be just as angry about their lack of preparation.

Get yourself out there, experience this kind of thing, live on the other side of the argument and get enlightened. You're speaking from such a cosy, safe and naive point of view that it beggars belief.
Reply 36
Original post by AverageExcellence
is this a real place? lol

Sure, you can google it.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
What was the dude supposed to say? "JESUS LOVES YOU ALL GUYSS" or "OK THIS IS A DRILL PRETEND TO DIE NOW"

I thought you were a bit more intelligent/wiser than that. Unless that was just an attempt at being funny
Reply 38
Because it is unnecessary? They are directly associating muslims with terrorism and assuming that attacks will be orchestrated by a muslim. It has **** all to do with being PC and everything to do with being a ****.

And they damn well should have apologised. Disgraceful.

What terrorist organisation is most likely to attack this country? What religion of the follow?
They were just being realistic. They were preparing against a Paris and Brussels-style attack and those attacks were carried out, unfortunately, by Muslims who shouted Allahu Akbar. It is often the last word the terrorists say before carrying out their attack. Of course, it is also used by all Muslims for prayer but, for the sake of realism, they were right to signal the start of the 'attack' with the phrase.

Honestly, people who get offended at this need to take a chill pill and shut it lol
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending