The Student Room Group

No Whites Allowed: BBC

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
Telling me to leave it alone when it's you that's getting all caught up about a non story? Sure.

Who's getting caught up? You keep quoting me about simple **** that I have to keep repeating to you is non factor boy
And about Salford your point was what seriously?

Original post by DMcGovern
But that's the thing it's not really, the Christian religions dominate - even the Jehovah's Witnesses are more in number than Muslims :tongue:

Idk what you were reading about the 35k Muslims when I read the
https://muslimireland.wordpress.com/tag/cso-statistics/

it says otherwise.....
But that's the thing it's not really, the Christian religions dominate - even the Jehovah's Witnesses are more in number than Muslims :tongue:

It's still one of the largest wether by a margin of 1% or 3000%, unless there are several religions after Christianity that are more popular than Islam then Islam is one of the largest, even if one of the largest isn't very big.

Islam is one of the largest religions in London and again Muslims make up a tiny minority, still one of the largest - just not THE largest.
Original post by 999tigger
Ofc you arent accusing me of lying. I would say your headline is highly misleading.

The latest census is 2011, which has ethnic minorities at 14%, its pribably increased since then.
http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/ethnicity/articles/2011censusanalysisethnicityandreligionofthenonukbornpopulationinenglandandwales/2015-06-18

Does that 14% include white people who do not classify themselves as white British?

Again, I would ask if that 12.4% 'BAME' includes white people who do not classify themselves as white British.

I have a feeling your figures are affected by whites who are non-white British, especially if the 14% includes them and the 12.4% does not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
You DO understand that UK is MAJORITY WHITE so the proportions will be higher for whites.....

Exactly

So if the UK is majority white and most companies are run by whites : then where are black or brown people taken over ?
Original post by 0to100

Idk what you were reading about the 35k Muslims when I read the
https://muslimireland.wordpress.com/tag/cso-statistics/

it says otherwise.....

Huh. That's weird. I looked at the 2011 census directly earlier and it didn't say that :s-smilie:
And I was looking at the whole of Ireland not just the Free State :s-smilie:
Looking again I must've made some errors :biggrin: It's just over 50k overall.

According to the census, there's 49,204 adherents in the Free State and 3,832 in the North, so about 53,000 :tongue:

I'd say that calling things "one of the largest" is misleading, but meh :h:
Original post by PrincePaul57993
Exactly

So if the UK is majority white and most companies are run by whites : then where are black or brown people taken over ?

Well I never agreed with that, never in my life. But just pointing out to you that mathematically it's impossible to have equal proportions when the demography is massively unequal which is natural seeing as this is Europe...
but muh, muh white privilege
Original post by 0to100
Well I never agreed with that, never in my life. But just pointing out to you that mathematically it's impossible to have equal proportions when the demography massively unequal which is natural seeing as this is Europe...
Right.

So I ask you the question.once again

Right.

So I ask you the question.once again

Right

So I tell you once again

Since the UK is majority white then obviously there will be more white workers in many industries

Not that I ever said brown and black are taking over.
Original post by Oilfreak1
It's still one of the largest wether by a margin of 1% or 3000%, unless there are several religions after Christianity that are more popular than Islam then Islam is one of the largest, even if one of the largest isn't very big.

Islam is one of the largest religions in London and again Muslims make up a tiny minority, still one of the largest - just not THE largest.

Huh. That's weird. I looked at the 2011 census directly earlier and it didn't say that :s-smilie:
And I was looking at the whole of Ireland not just the Free State :s-smilie:
Looking again I must've made some errors :biggrin: It's just over 50k overall.

According to the census, there's 49,204 adherents in the Free State and 3,832 in the North, so about 53,000 :tongue:

I'd say that calling things "one of the largest" is misleading, but meh :h:

I agree with oilfreak
Original post by 0to100
Right

So I tell you once again

Since the UK is majority white then obviously there will be more white workers in many industries

Not that I ever said brown and black are taking over.

OK. So reverse racism does not exist
Original post by 0to100
I agree with oilfreak

Yeah, but still, calling things "one of the largest" is pretty misleading. You could say that Linux is the third-largest OS on the market even though it's dominated by Windows and Mac - so you get my point.

Original post by Grand High Witch
Does that 14% include white people who do not classify themselves as white British?

Again, I would ask if that 12.4% 'BAME' includes white people who do not classify themselves as white British.

I have a feeling your figures are affected by whites who are non-white British, especially if the 14% includes them and the 12.4% does not.

The links worked for me.
Was just a direct take from the census about ethnic groups in the UK.
http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/ethnicity/articles/ethnicityandnationalidentityinenglandandwales/2012-12-11

It's 12.2% is from the BBC and their recruitment level. That figure was obtained from an FOI request by briadcast magazine. You can google it., but you will have to sign up to biew the actual request.

Its based on ethnicity of its staff, but it appears to be on the same basis as the census as that breaks it down into white British and white other. No I dont think the 12.4%/14% does include white other.
Yeah, but still, calling things "one of the largest" is pretty misleading. You could say that Linux is the third-largest OS on the market even though it's dominated by Windows and Mac - so you get my point.

Was this necessary?

OK. So reverse racism does not exist

It's like you're having a conversation with yourself...
Oh no, 9 jobs have specifically been advertised on website for minorities compared to the literally over 100 on their actual job website. How will the white race survive? we're just so threatened! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Original post by Tyreke
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/668778/katie-hopkins-bbc-lbc

What do you think?

A step too far for the publicly funded company?

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard - RACIST
Reply 76
Ofc you arent accusing me of lying. I would say your headline is highly misleading.

The latest census is 2011, which has ethnic minorities at 14%, its pribably increased since then.
http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/ethnicity/articles/2011censusanalysisethnicityandreligionofthenonukbornpopulationinenglandandwales/2015-06-18

It appears the BBC is currently @ 12.4%.
http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/23/bbc-promises-to-hire-more-women-and-ethnic-minorities-5837023/

Representation at middle manager and senior levels also appears low.

Representation of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic(BAME) people declined from 7.4% of the total workforce in 2006 to 6.7%in 2009 and is now just 5.4% in 2012.
http://creativeskillset.org/assets/0000/5070/2012_Employment_Census_of_the_Creative_Media_Industries.pdf

So there is a real lack of diversity within the creative industries and thats what the charity is seeking to redress. Ofc you and I might not give a toss about ethnic minorities being able to gain a foothold in the industry but it must be quite frustrating for people who do want to work there.

Again you can talk about merit, but if you read s158 and 159 of the equalities Act it is not about quotas (positive discrimination is illegal) , but something they call positive action. Ive linked it for you, so you can understand how it works.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/158

This is a debate had in parliament
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwiVzMmYkdDMAhVlF8AKHTTHBkoQFggmMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parliament.uk%2Fbriefing-papers%2Fsn06093.pdf&usg=AFQjCNF5I7if-srdUNY5jSFvvggxnqd7Dw&cad=rja

Statistical disparity =/= discrimination.

95% NBA Players are African Americans. There are no quotas such as 70% NBA players must be white to represent the demographic make up of the USA.

I also feel like it's a class issue as much as anything else.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tyreke
Statistical disparity =/= discrimination.

95% NBA Players are African Americans. There are no quotas such as 70% NBA players must be white to represent the demographic make up of the USA.

I also feel like it's a class issue as much as anything else.

You should read the links and appreciate why the story you posted is a gross misrepresentation. If you think its a class issue, then you might wnat to think why theres such poor social mobility. If you never get the opportunity or even worse the system works against you, then you arent going to move up.

Another issue with the BBC is that the further you go up in the organisation it seems to be dominated by white middle class males. Is that just ability?

Statistical disparity doesnt always = discrimination, but you might want to investigate why.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 78
You should read the links and appreciate why the story you posted is a gross misrepresentation. If you think its a class issue, then you might wnat to think why theres such poor social mobility. If you never get the opportunity or even worse the system works against you, then you arent going to move up.

Another issue with the BBC is that the further you go up in the organisation it seems to be dominated by white middle class males. Is that just ability?

Statistical disparity doesnt always = discrimination, but you might want to investigate why.

My opinion has shifted after discovering what the advertised role included.

I agree it would be interesting to investigate more and find out all the factors involved.

I don't think it is ability, I imagine it is 'cronyism' of some sort, who you went to Eton with that kind of thing.

It'd be helpful to see evidence of institutional racism, not just statistics that may or may not be linked.
Racism plain and simple anyone who think discrimination of any kind is justified is just ....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending