The Student Room Group

What Happens If You Fail A-Levels?

Suppose you fail your A-Levels this year and want to retake the year. Since there are the new A-Levels, do you do the new ones or a 'legacy' year?

Also, how much would it cost to sit as a private student? Is it just exam fees? Can you sit both AS and A2s?

Thanks!
Original post by RezzBerry
Suppose you fail your A-Levels this year and want to retake the year. Since there are the new A-Levels, do you do the new ones or a 'legacy' year?

Also, how much would it cost to sit as a private student? Is it just exam fees? Can you sit both AS and A2s?

Thanks!

Yes you can resit in 2017.

Its about £45 per AS or A2 and £90 for a full A level. Ots more for sciences.

Thanks!

You can actually sit AS yes, that is what I've heard anyway!

Thanks!

If you fail A2 this year you will still be able to resit AS and A2 next year in legacy subjects if you can find a centre offering the exams. It's doubtful TBH that you'll find anywhere teaching the legacy specification so will have to enter as a private candidate. Cost varies between centres and while the exam fee is fixed the extras they can add on top can make it quite expensive, anything between £50-100 per exam is very typical. Your cheapest option is likely to be your current school IF they decide to offer the exams at all they may just charge the exam fee.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
If you fail A2 this year you will still be able to resit AS and A2 next year in legacy subjects if you can find a centre offering the exams. It's doubtful TBH that you'll find anywhere teaching the legacy specification so will have to enter as a private candidate. Cost varies between centres and while the exam fee is fixed the extras they can add on top can make it quite expensive, anything between £50-100 per exam is very typical. Your cheapest option is likely to be your current school IF they decide to offer the exams at all they may just charge the exam fee.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Legacy subjects?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Legacy subjects?

Subject specifications that have been withdrawn and replaced by new specifications e.g. Physics, chemistry, biology.......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Subject specifications that have been withdrawn and replaced by new specifications e.g. Physics, chemistry, biology.......

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see, sorry. That was a stupid question. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

so if i don't do well in my A2's this year...i can resit next year? i thought it was just AS that we could resit?
Original post by bubblegumcat
so if i don't do well in my A2's this year...i can resit next year?

Assuming you are taking uk A levels, Yes
Original post by bubblegumcat
i thought it was just AS that we could resit?

Why would you think that? A level resits have never been restricted to AS exams only

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Oh I see, sorry. That was a stupid question. :redface:

Not stupid at all. Not everyone knows what is meant by "legacy" specifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10

Spoiler

That's not so bad, then.

Spoiler

Ah, thanks for clearing it up. If I'm a private student, I'll have to use a centre, right? And if you've said its doubtful centres will be offering the legacy specification, doesn't that mean I'm kinda ****ed? Thanks for the help, btw!

Spoiler

You poop! :h:
That's not so bad, then.
Ah, thanks for clearing it up. If I'm a private student, I'll have to use a centre, right? And if you've said its doubtful centres will be offering the legacy specification, doesn't that mean I'm kinda ****ed? Thanks for the help, btw!
You poop! :h:

Thank you! :h:

and he said teaching, but centres will offer it. :smile:
Reply 12

Spoiler

What do you mean?

Also, why is it so hot at night, nowadays? :frown:

What do you mean?

Also, why is it so hot at night, nowadays? :frown:

Like you can sit it but no college or 6th form is likely to be teaching it! So you'll have to re-teach everything yourself.

Centres are just colleges or 6th forms where you can take your exams.

I have a fan,so I wouldn't know what you're talking about! :colondollar:
Reply 14

Spoiler

Ah, okay. I was confused because I didn't see 'teaching' in his post. That's fine. It'll be a piece of cake to reteach, should get getting around A*A*A*A*A*

Share it with me. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest