The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Derwent college beds?

I really like the look of Derwent and I think I'm going to apply for accommodation there, but there's one big issue - the mattresses on the beds look quite thin and uncomfortable to sleep on. If anyone could say whether that's the case or not I'd really appreciate it :smile:
I've been in derwent this year, my first year, the mattresses are not very comfy.
You can feel the springs but ive made do with it.
Saying that, if you can afford it, i would definitely recommend buying your own mattress when you get here or buying a mattress topper.

Other than that derwent is a great college, free jacket potatoes on wednesdays, D events and 2 college bars that everyone is envious of.
would 100% recommend the college, but not the beds.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by TheGreyPhysicist
I've been in derwent this year, my first year, the mattresses are not very comfy.
You can feel the springs but ive made do with it.
Saying that, if you can afford it, i would definitely recommend buying your own mattress when you get here or buying a mattress topper.

Other than that derwent is a great college, free jacket potatoes on wednesdays, D events and 2 college bars that everyone is envious of.
would 100% recommend the college, but not the beds.

Thank you :smile: I didn't even know mattress toppers were a thing so thanks for the suggestion. I don't think I'd mind feeling the springs too much, but you can't feel the bedframes or anything can you?

(Also I heard some things about some of the plug sockets in Derwent being those two-holed ones you need an adaptor for - is that true? Sorry for all the questions)
Nah they're normal sockets. The rooms are perfectly fine: it's only a couple of the Derwent blocks which are shabby on the inside: they just look old because they're 60s prefabricated buildings. I have a mattress topper and it's perfectly comfy; the mattresses are the same in many rooms around the uni.
Reply 4
Original post by jonnynoctu
Nah they're normal sockets. The rooms are perfectly fine: it's only a couple of the Derwent blocks which are shabby on the inside: they just look old because they're 60s prefabricated buildings. I have a mattress topper and it's perfectly comfy; the mattresses are the same in many rooms around the uni.

Honestly as long as the bed's fine I don't really mind what the accommodation's like lol so I should be good. Thank you for the help :smile:
Original post by psychleah
Honestly as long as the bed's fine I don't really mind what the accommodation's like lol so I should be good. Thank you for the help :smile:

It's okay! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest