The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Chemistry Unit 3 WCH03 May June 2016 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

I think I assumed testing for water wouldn't appear :s-smilie: I think the right answer was Cobalt(II) Chloride?

Anyway serves me right for not studying enough :/ I hope todays Physics test is better...
Original post by OnTheHorizon
PCl5 is the correct test,A tertiary alchohol doesn't react with potassium dichromate and H2SO4.You can't use that test.The question was about confirming OH group.Carboxylic acid also has OH group but it doesn't react with potassium dichromate and change color from orange to green.

Do you think the Sodium test (Effervescence, Sodium dissolves) would be alright? I can't remember if it's for the -OH functional group in general or for a specific type of molecule
Original post by I <3 WORK
Omg lol I can't believe I wrote exactly the same thing as you for the iodine atom test! But the thing is I specifically wrote add nitric acid and silver nitrate solutions and I underlined it. Do you think I will get the mark? I think the second mark we will both get because the yellow precipitate has to form.
. I dont think it is wrong at least there is a chance of scoring the mark
Original post by OnTheHorizon
You only used 0.05 moles,We used 0.0516 which is more accurate.

i did the whole thing from calculator and got
418.58 so i rounded to 419
Is this righT?
Reply 344
Original post by don't cry-craft
The reagent is alcoholic potassium hydroxide, but the condition I think is heating. Not too sure about the condition.

Then condition is heating under reflux
Reply 345
For the Drawings for Aldehyde and Carboxylic Acid did it have to be skeletal pr displayed or could it be either?
Reply 346
For the question where they asked to draw the Carboxylic acid and Aldehyde, did it have to be in Skeletal form or Displayed form or either one of them?
Reply 347
Original post by aa12398
For the question where they asked to draw the Carboxylic acid and Aldehyde, did it have to be in Skeletal form or Displayed form or either one of them?

you could draw either of them
Original post by NNB_Herath
i did the whole thing from calculator and got
418.58 so i rounded to 419
Is this righT?

I believe you may have rounded something else off.But I think you'll get all marks except the last mark maybe,For this question.Because you're method and everything should be fine.
I got 418.4# I don't remember the last digit but I think it was less than 5.Rounding off gives you 418
Original post by ToxicPhantom007
How was your exam guys ?
What was the enthalpy change value in alcohol combustion question ?

Ok people so what do u expect the A to be from??
Reply 350
Original post by ToxicPhantom007
Same here :smile:
-418 kj/ mol

me too :biggrin:
I believe the A will be from 30 .. So guys how did you find the last question
Original post by Raghdaelgedawy
I believe the A will be from 30 .. So guys how did you find the last question

Iam afraid that it will be from 34
When he asked about drawing the major product he didnt say draw the displayed or skeletal structure so it is fine to draw the displayed ?? Right?? .. And the hydrogencarbonate did he ask about the name or formula or both are accepted ..
Original post by a.adi1998
Iam afraid that it will be from 34
no dont worry ... Jan 2016 was much easier than our exam and the A was from 31 ... So you dont have to worry at all .. Also, everyone is saying that this exam was pretty difficult
Original post by Raghdaelgedawy
no dont worry ... Jan 2016 was much easier than our exam and the A was from 31 ... So you dont have to worry at all .. Also, everyone is saying that this exam was pretty difficult

Spoiler

Original post by a.adi1998

Spoiler

لا انا الفول المارك راحت منى .. بس لا تقلقى لسه فيه يونت 2
How was the physics unit 3 paper?
Original post by notsoclueless
The carbocation in the intermediate stage was secondary so the secondary halogenoalkane formed would be more stable. Hence, less of F would be produced.

And the Carbon which had alkyl group is more stable
Reply 359
My percentage uncertainty came 59% to 2sf. But i did..800÷1367.3×100. I didnt take the differnce but took the exact number. Do u think i would get atleast 1 mark out of 2

Quick Reply

Latest