The Student Room Group

Scared...

I'm 19. I'm gay. I live in a (seemingly) tolerant house with my parents and 3 siblings. One of those siblings came out as trans last year and caused a rift between themselves and my dad and I don't want to come out as gay because it might risk my relationship with my dad.

I don't speak about my feelings, to anyone. I have major trust issues and I don't speak about it, I don't feel like I can, this is why this post is anonymous but my inability to speak has lead to me getting depression. It's not diagnosed as I don't want to go to my doctor but it's there and it's lead me to feel suicidal.

I understand that I can speak to my doctor in complete confidence that anything I say is completely confidential but it's not speaking to someone that is the problem, it's the act of saying these things. Things that I've kept to myself for 19 years.

As they say, little things help. Even though I can't post this publicly as myself. I've still put a little bit of my emotion on public display and it might be helpful for me overcoming this.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 19. I'm gay. I live in a (seemingly) tolerant house with my parents and 3 siblings. One of those siblings came out as trans last year and caused a rift between themselves and my dad and I don't want to come out as gay because it might risk my relationship with my dad.

I don't speak about my feelings, to anyone. I have major trust issues and I don't speak about it, I don't feel like I can, this is why this post is anonymous but my inability to speak has lead to me getting depression. It's not diagnosed as I don't want to go to my doctor but it's there and it's lead me to feel suicidal.

I understand that I can speak to my doctor in complete confidence that anything I say is completely confidential but it's not speaking to someone that is the problem, it's the act of saying these things. Things that I've kept to myself for 19 years.

As they say, little things help. Even though I can't post this publicly as myself. I've still put a little bit of my emotion on public display and it might be helpful for me overcoming this.

gay isn't the same as trans though...so if your dad don't mind gay people then??
Reply 2
Okay, the first thing I should say is don't be ashamed of who you are( just saying), I understand where your coming from that you can't trust anyone and speak to anyone about your feelings because of previous experiences from the house with your dad, I hope you don't mind me asking this, but are you close to your mum or any of your siblings? Have you tried talking to them about it? I completely understand if you don't want to tell me about that or if you don't tell them about anything. But it may help to go to one of your close friends and tell them about how you feel. Secondly, if you are feeling suicidal it may help to speak to someone that yeah you may not fully trust, but you know who you can talk to so you don't do anything that you shouldn't. I understand you don't want to go to a doctor, but how about a counselor or may even be a family member, if you want you can PM me about this and you can trust me, and I will try my best to help you!! ( people do say I give good advice :smile: ) ... I'm here if you need someone x
Reply 3
Original post by RBalboa
Okay, the first thing I should say is don't be ashamed of who you are( just saying), I understand where your coming from that you can't trust anyone and speak to anyone about your feelings because of previous experiences from the house with your dad, I hope you don't mind me asking this, but are you close to your mum or any of your siblings? Have you tried talking to them about it? I completely understand if you don't want to tell me about that or if you don't tell them about anything. But it may help to go to one of your close friends and tell them about how you feel. Secondly, if you are feeling suicidal it may help to speak to someone that yeah you may not fully trust, but you know who you can talk to so you don't do anything that you shouldn't. I understand you don't want to go to a doctor, but how about a counselor or may even be a family member, if you want you can PM me about this and you can trust me, and I will try my best to help you!! ( people do say I give good advice :smile: ) ... I'm here if you need someone x

Thanks for the post. I spoke with a good friend of mine today and came out to her. I then managed to come out to several other close friends. It seems to be getting easier and I feel a lot better by talking about it. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the post. I spoke with a good friend of mine today and came out to her. I then managed to come out to several other close friends. It seems to be getting easier and I feel a lot better by talking about it. :smile:

Good Im glad

Quick Reply