The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Physics Unit 3 WPH03 May June 2016 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blazyy
I put in parallax error when placing the pins, is that also correct?

ummmmm, what do you mean by pins?
Original post by Hamadtype-
My gradient was 5, my resistivity was 1.23*10^-6

Exact same :biggrin:

What did you write for the "comment on safety" for the refractive index experiment?

Also for the how to find refractive index question i wrote
Refractive index = Sin I / Sin r
Take a reading of angle of incidence and refraction from the graph
Multiply them by sin and divide to find refractive index

Is that correct?
Reply 42
Original post by Blazyy
I put in parallax error when placing the pins, is that also correct?

Nevermind, ignore my question
Original post by Ali Bizri

What did you write for the "comment on safety" for the refractive index experiment?

Is that correct?

I put: draw a graph of sin 1 against sin r and calculate the gradient which will give you the refractive index. For safety, I said don't point the ray box towards yours and others' eyes as the laser can damage your eyes,
Original post by Blazyy
Nevermind, ignore my question

If you mean put the pins along the refracted ray, then yeah it makes sense that there would be a parallex error there.
Original post by Ali Bizri

Is that correct?

For safety I wrote low voltage

but for refractive index calculation they asked for graphical calculation, so you had to say draw a graph of sin i on sin r and find gradient
Yeah, But the second and third point was out of the best fit line

I got a value of 4.91 fr gradient! :/
Original post by don't cry-craft
I put: draw a graph of sin 1 against sin r and calculate the gradient which will give you the refractive index. For safety, I said don't point the ray box towards yours and others' eyes as the laser can damage your eyes,

That makes sense, the answers should be identical for both methods so I don't think it'll be a big deal, for safety i said that this is a low risk experiment and i added one more point which was the risk of falling block so wear foot protection.
Parallax error for protractor lol :biggrin:

how can there be a parallax error since the protractor would be flat against the paper to measure the angle?
For safety I wrote low voltage

but for refractive index calculation they asked for graphical calculation, so you had to say draw a graph of sin i on sin r and find gradient

What did you write to "comment on her plan" when she measured the time as 3s for a trolley to go down a slope?
It should be on your eye level horizontally , like you need to make your eyes directly parallel to the measurement, some people can stand away from the protractor and count.
Original post by Sunethra
What did you write to "comment on her plan" when she measured the time as 3s for a trolley to go down a slope?

I wrote there would be human reaction time error, so an electronic timer would be better for accurate results.
It should be on your eye level horizontally , like you need to make your eyes directly parallel to the measurement, some people can stand away from the protractor and count.

I said parralex errors when using protractor and I said other rays might be incident on the glass block so in brackets I said do the experiment in a dark room
I wrote there would be human reaction time error, so an electronic timer would be better for accurate results.

yeah same, especially since 3s is a very short amount of time.
Reply 54

I measured the persentage uncertainty by doing 0.38/3 *100 and found about 12.5% and commented that it is too high
I said parralex errors when using protractor and I said other rays might be incident on the glass block so in brackets I said do the experiment in a dark room

Oh okay, I said that there's an uncertainty of 0.5 degrees when taking the readings, especially since the angles can be quite small. Would this be okay?
Guys my value for resistivity was 4.6x10^-6? i think i did something wrong when finding the area of the wire but my gradient was 4.5? i thing im out of the range of what they would expect
Reply 57
hey my exam was good. is the graph supposed to be a straight line or a curvy type of thing.
if i used the right method to find gradient and the value of resistivity but got the wrong answer will i get any marks.
Reply 58
ummmmm, what do you mean by pins?

Sometimes when you don't have a ray box in hand, you use pins to mark the incident and refracted ray.
Original post by Suhaib.134
Guys my value for resistivity was 4.6x10^-6? i think i did something wrong when finding the area of the wire but my gradient was 4.5? i thing im out of the range of what they would expect

did u convert the diameter to radius? Gradient was 4.96 i think so when u round it would be 5 not sure if urs was right.

Quick Reply

Latest