The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mariapops
I know right, how dare anyone try to help a kid struggling with a neurodevelopmental disease. Disgusting. What next, vaccines? Antibiotics? We can't play God!!!1!!

Vaccines and antibiotics are different to pressing a button or clicking your fingers. If you judge people who are autistic as some inferior group then that says a lot about you
My perspective on this as an autistic (with asperges too).

No.

Whilst I suck at social skills and never have had/will have a gf because... I suck at that too.

There are so many advantages of being autistic. We see life differently to others. Work wise I gradually shifted into marketing without knowing it and now my world consists of targeting and Facebook Ads. Being autistic is AWESOME for this because I naturally study people my whole life and now I know what people want, what people who want x search for to get y and what A, B, and C targets match those people. So making money becomes easy. The only thing you can't buy is love and health. Working hard made me exercise just to chill out so that is health sorted. Just love to go...

Now if I didn't care about money but cared about science I might be the guy who cured cancer. Some other autistic person might do so. Why would you get rid of that?
I would assume so. Autism shouldn't define who you are and I doubt many people would say they "prefer" to remain autistic given the choice. People on the spectrum have different attitudes to it but, like every other disease/disorder it would be preferable if we didn't have it.

So, if you mean flick a switch and it goes. Great. If you mean exterminating everyone on the spectrum, eh, no.
Original post by Omen96
Vaccines and antibiotics are different to pressing a button or clicking your fingers. If you judge people who are autistic as some inferior group then that says a lot about you

How are they different? Antibiotics and vaccines are both ways of 'improving' your child. Isn't that disgraceful to you? Surely it would be playing God if you were to interfere like that?

Nobody said autistic people are inferior.
Just to clarify, I didn't mean getting rid of autistic people, but curing all autistic symptoms that are currently present in people and in future generations.
Haha. Yes, I like jokes, and have a sense of humour. I only occasionally have a hard time knowing the difference at certain points when it could be taken as a serious statement or question in context. As little as this makes sense, I'm better at knowing in person.

But yes, I do jokes. As a writer I often use humour in my work.
Original post by Omen96

When did I say anyone autistic is inferior? Do you actually realise how debilitating autism can be? I doubt you even know anyone on the spectrum, like I said, my own sister has autism and I don't expect you to understand if you've never met someone with autism who's life is made difficult by the fact they can't even talk or go to the toilet by themselves. I never would think she is inferior for a second but you don't even realise how hard things are for her so I don't understand why people are telling me I think people with autism are inferior? Autism affects people in different ways and if my sister was less severely affected and she struggled less, I would think difficult but I'm not going to apologise for saying that I wish my little sister didn't have to put up with thi struggle. How would you feel if you couldn't talk or feed yourself? You wouldn't be saying the same thing then. This thread is pointless anyway because there isn't even comprehensive treatment for autism. I don't know how many times I have to at this but it is a spectrum so not everyone with autism is the verbal, good at maths with a few quirks like people seem to think, some people will never able to talk!
(edited 7 years ago)
Grr.
Ask someone with autism and see what they think.
It is funny how people see us as an inferior "race" of humans yet they rely on us for so many technological and sociological advancements that allow them to live xD
Bae what u sayin
Do you think I think you're worthy of my flirt?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest