The Student Room Group

Emma Watson named in latest Panama Papers leak

Scroll to see replies

Original post by littlenorthernlass
I don't really understand what Panama is and why it is bad.

I used to really like Emma but I just find her annoying now. :dontknow:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Papers
Why only rich people?

Plebs don't have access to it. You generally have to pay people to do tax avoidance on that scale or you need a tonne of money make use of tax loop holes. It's either not possible or not worth it for small fry money.

Poorer people can avoid tax but no where near on the scale of the mega rich.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 62
'While a spokesman for the actress confirms that Watson set up an offshore company, they say it was set up for the sole purpose of ‘protecting her anonymity and safety’. The spokesman tells Steerpike that the actress receives ‘no tax or monetary advantages from this offshore company’
^ read the article correctly before jumping to conclusions, mate. Also, Emma Watson is trying to raise awareness of the issues that women still face. There's nothing wrong with that. But people are going to hate no matter what, particularly when it concerns feminism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/05/revealed-emma-watson-named-in-latest-panama-papers-leak/

What a surprise. :rolleyes:

Another so called champion of women that ignores the complexity of intersectionalism. Her feminism is that of the "apolitical" women's party. A play thing for well off women and feminists that offers little to a working class single mother.

I bet it's hard being an opresed female millionaire.

You're probably being a bit unfair, her main motivation appears to have been that she wanted to avoid her home address being easily discoverable. Given all the weirdo stalkers that big stars attract, that's not an unreasonable thing to want.

I know it's hard to feel empathy with someone so lucky in life, but we should seek to avoid letting jealous feelings cloud judgement.
Original post by Unkempt_One
Hey guys, I haven't read this article. Boy, Emma Watson is bitch. Man, I haven't read this article but what a bitch. Am I fitting in?

Yes, confirming you will prove invaluable on TSR going forwards. :teehee:
Original post by ivybridge
My sex life isn't really your business? I'm not frigid, I have a sex life - objectification and having a sex life are entirely separate. As is saying somebody's good looking and saying they're bangable.

Have some respect.

With another man?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
You're probably being a bit unfair, her main motivation appears to have been that she wanted to avoid her home address being easily discoverable. Given all the weirdo stalkers that big stars attract, that's not an unreasonable thing to want.

I know it's hard to feel empathy with someone so lucky in life, but we should seek to avoid letting jealous feelings cloud judgement.

I was waiting for you show up :colonhash:

I don't believe that and I don't really care if that was the case. Paying tax is more important.

Where is your empathy for Mr Cameron and whatever excuse he came up with?

My judgement is not clouded. I'm just a better feminist.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ladbants
With another man?

Well that would be how male homosexuality works.
Original post by Ladbants
Lol i wouldn't though
subpar rack + aggressive feminist + too thin = It's a no from me

Pfft, as if you'd even get the chance. Stop feeling so entitled. Women aren't your play things.
Why only rich people?

Because they gain a lot from avoiding tax.

Poor people don't.
I was waiting for you show up :colonhash:

I don't believe that and I don't really care if that was the case. Paying tax is more important.

Where is your empathy for Mr Cameron and whatever excuse he came up with?

My judgement is not clouded. I'm just a better feminist.

But she says it's not about tax. I assume you're saying she's lying?

Apart from doubting her honesty, how does it make you a better feminist by believing she should be more exposed to attacks at home? Or does your feminism only extend to poorer women?
Reply 71

You know who else likes anonymity, terrorists and crooks! Why should she get anonymity and put us all in danger?
Original post by hovado
You know who else likes anonymity, terrorists and crooks! Why should she get anonymity and put us all in danger?

What are you rabbiting on about?
Reply 73
What are you rabbiting on about?

There's no need for such rudeness, mister.

There should be nowhere for terrorists and paedophiles to hide, if Emma Watson has a place to hide then so do terrorists and paedophiles!
Original post by hovado
There's no need for such rudeness, mister.

There should be nowhere for terrorists and paedophiles to hide, if Emma Watson has a place to hide then so do terrorists and paedophiles!

So Emma Watson is a terrorist now?
But she says it's not about tax. I assume you're saying she's lying?

Apart from doubting her honesty, how does it make you a better feminist by believing she should be more exposed to attacks at home? Or does your feminism only extend to poorer women?

So does Cameron. Yeah I don't believe her and it isn't a good enough reason even if it is true. If it is that bad she should start campaigning the government to find a way for poor millionaires to pay taxes without being mobbed.

:facepalm:

I think she should pay tax as part of redistributive system that is partly ran to help women who lose out, often on reasons to do with gender. I don't think she should be exposed to attacks. It was blatantly obvious my winging is about tax, not a desire to harass millionaire feminists, no matter how annoying they are.

I doubt you would be defending her if she was someone else that wasn't an outspoken feminist. If she wants to help women. Pay tax.
(edited 7 years ago)
So does Cameron. Yeah I don't believe her.

:facepalm:

I think she should pay tax as part of redistributive system that is party ran to help women who lose out, often on reasons to do with gender.

Of course your second point is true, but I don't see how you get to your first - she's had no history of being disbelieved or deceitful, I think we should give her the benefit of the doubt on what she says the reasons were.

Clearly what's needed is a mechanism for allowing people targeted by possible stalking, etc, to keep their names secret on the Land Registry, then she wouldn't need to do this. However, I obviously agree that what goes on in the tax havens is ridiculous and contrary to our interests, I just don't like seeing her singled out for attacks on this when it's not to do with tax.
Original post by ivybridge
Pfft, as if you'd even get the chance. Stop feeling so entitled. Women aren't your play things.

You don't know him lol
Reply 78
At least she hasn't been photographed with Philip Green.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So Little Miss Perfect might not be so perfect after all?

Will be interesting to see if the progressives turn on their favourite media darling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending