The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Physics - Student books missing units 3, 6 and 7

Hi,

I would like to write the Edexcel International Advanced Level exam in January 2017. I've got the following Physics student books.

Edexcel AS Physics
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1405896388

This books contains content on Unit 1 and Unit 2.

Edexcel A2 Physics
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1408206080

This books contains content on Unit 4 and Unit 5.

I can't seem to find study material pertaining to Unit 3, Unit 6 and Unit 7. Which books do I need to buy?

Regards
ATH3NZ
Original post by ATH3NZ
Hi,

I would like to write the Edexcel International Advanced Level exam in January 2017. I've got the following Physics student books.

Edexcel AS Physics
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1405896388

This books contains content on Unit 1 and Unit 2.

Edexcel A2 Physics
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1408206080

This books contains content on Unit 4 and Unit 5.

I can't seem to find study material pertaining to Unit 3, Unit 6 and Unit 7. Which books do I need to buy?

Regards
ATH3NZ

Heya, I've reinstated this thread for you now :smile: Looks like it got removed by mistake :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Heya, I've reinstated this thread for you now :smile: Looks like it got removed by mistake :h:

Thanks a lot!
Reply 3
Original post by ATH3NZ

These books were not made for the International A-level. They were made for the Edexcel GCE specification. Unfortunately, Edexcel has not released resources for these 3 units and the only thing they've included is the list of relevant experiments in their specification.

However, I believe that doing past papers for Unit 3 and Unit 6 and having a strong understanding of practical techniques and the theory units will be more than enough for a top grade. Do you have a teacher to guide you through this?

Another thing to consider - Unit 7 is the alternative of Unit 6. You choose one, not both. My advice would be to do Unit 6 if you haven't actually conducted experiments in a laboratory.
Reply 4
Hi there..U3 and U6 are practicals.. U3 is AS Practicals. U6 is for A2. You can get a small book containing detailed information about conducting those practicals but you have to buy them seperately as they are made for AS and A2. i'm sure you can find them if you google around a bit as i can't seem to remember the exact titles of the books atm.
This is only if you are sitting the written practical papers. If you are not an international student your school teacher would plan something out for you.
UsuallyInternational students sitting these papers go through all the past papers as the current syllabi has been around since 2009 so there are exactly 14 or 15 if you include the current 2016 june one. I'm aware they are currently planning on changing the syllabi but i don't nearly know enough about them to answer any Q. about them.
Reply 5
Original post by Ayman!
Do you have a teacher to guide you through this?

Ayman, thanks for the info. Really appreciate it!

Unfortunately I don't have a teacher to guide me through. I've looked at the ICS and Open Study College distance learning courses which assign tutors to students but the only hitch is that they require that I take AQA exams in the UK. At present, it's cheaper and easier for me to take Edexcel exams at the local British Council. That said, I haven't decided on the exact path I'm going to take and so am open to suggestions.
Reply 6
Original post by JOY33
Hi there..U3 and U6 are practicals.. U3 is AS Practicals. U6 is for A2. You can get a small book containing detailed information about conducting those practicals but you have to buy them seperately as they are made for AS and A2. i'm sure you can find them if you google around a bit as i can't seem to remember the exact titles of the books atm.

Thanks JOY33! I just found the book linked to below which looks like it might help.

Edexcel AS/A2 Physics Student Unit Guide: Units 3 and 6 Exploring Physics and Experimental Physics
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/144418282X
Reply 7
Original post by ATH3NZ
Ayman, thanks for the info. Really appreciate it!

Unfortunately I don't have a teacher to guide me through. I've looked at the ICS and Open Study College distance learning courses which assign tutors to students but the only hitch is that they require that I take AQA exams in the UK. At present, it's cheaper and easier for me to take Edexcel exams at the local British Council. That said, I haven't decided on the exact path I'm going to take and so am open to suggestions.

Well, you don't really have a choice with Physics - it's either Unit 6 or Unit 7 and since you're a private candidate I strongly recommend the former as it's easier to prepare for from the comfort of your own home. Are you going to be self-teaching?
Reply 8
Original post by Ayman!
Well, you don't really have a choice with Physics - it's either Unit 6 or Unit 7 and since you're a private candidate I strongly recommend the former as it's easier to prepare for from the comfort of your own home. Are you going to be self-teaching?

I think that I'll go with your recommendation and pick Unit 6.

Yes, I'm probably going to be self-teaching. I've studied for and acquired two ICT certifications when I was working, so I think that I'll be okay to do it on my own.

Quick Reply

Latest