The Student Room Group

Receptionist sent home from work because they wouldnt wear heels.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36264229

Why would a company want their employees in heels knowing that they are not that great for mobility and health compared to flats.

Scroll to see replies

A dress code is part of a job
Reply 2
Original post by DingleBerg69

She was employed by an agency and the client (PwC) has distanced itself (unsurprisingly) from the decision.

"The dress code referenced in the article is not a PwC policy."
Reply 3
Receptionist :smile: not a model, not someone always standing. Who's gonna see her feet?
Heels also damage feet.

Nice dude.
Original post by DingleBerg69

Would she have been sent home if she were male?
Thats sad even though its the dress code:/
Reply 7
That's ridiculous. A workplace shouldn't be able to force one gender to wear something and not another, especially something that's uncomfortable, unhealthy and unsafe.
Reply 8
Has no-one got the b***s to say why? it's because women look sexy in high heels and as a receptionist the company wanted her to look sexy
I think the main issue here is that she's a temp worker.

If you're a full time employee and part of the conditions of the job is wearing a certain 'uniform' even if it is an unofficial one, then you should stick by those guidelines, talk to your employer if you have extenuating circumstances, or not take the job in the first place. As a temp, you're possibly working with several firms and if you have to buy new clothes to suit each dress policy then that's a bit mental.

That said, I feel as if the workplace uniform is going out of fashion and becoming more casual so it does seems a little archaic. I don't think there's a massive issue with having a dress code, though?
Original post by Implication
Would she have been sent home if she were male?

If she was a guy that showed up in trainers and not smart shoes then maybe. Still think this is unfair though.
Original post by TheStudent19
If she was a guy that showed up in trainers and not smart shoes then maybe. Still think this is unfair though.

Yeah of course. If someone who wasn't female turned up not in dress code they'd be sent home too. The problem is that the dress code itself is explicitly sexist, and actually causes direct suffering to females.
Strange Story
There's a petition for this. Has 22,000 signatures atm
Original post by K2G
Receptionist :smile: not a model, not someone always standing. Who's gonna see her feet?

In fact, it is a receptionist's role (especially at a visitor centre, as this is) to greet visitors and show them to the person or room they are visiting. This involves considerable amounts of walking around.

You must be thinking of telephonist-receptionists who are employed by smaller companies at ordinary offices and given secretrial duties as well as those of a telephonist-receptionist.
Reply 15
I can understand heels but not high heels.

Most suit shoes for men have a small heel. A small heel shouldn't be a problem?

As for people saying it is sexist, remember that it is pretty much an unspoken requirement for a male professional to wear a tie and have their top button done up, Not to mention you should wear a jacket for the majority of the time.

If she was asked to wear a small heeled shoe then she is making way too big of a deal of this. If she was asked to wear 6 inch stilettos or something then I'd understand.
"Nicola Thorp said she was laughed at for asking if male colleagues were also expected to wear heels"

What a stupid question, of course she would be laughed at. I bet come summer she is real happy she can wear a skirt and men have to wear the same suit trousers they wear in winter.

Next thing a servant at a hotel will spark outrage for not wearing the hotel's uniform but track suits instead.
Original post by brainhuman
"Nicola Thorp said she was laughed at for asking if male colleagues were also expected to wear heels"

What a stupid question, of course she would be laughed at. I bet come summer she is real happy she can wear a skirt and men have to wear the same suit trousers they wear in winter.

Next thing a servant at a hotel will spark outrage for not wearing the hotel's uniform but track suits instead.

Trousers are not the same thing. Yes I agree it is silly but heels can damage your body, trousers can't. Trousers (to the majority of people) are deemed as comfortable and smart, whereas to a large population of females, heels are deemed uncomfortable and painful. Fair enough if it's a tiny heel but woman still shouldn't HAVE to wear them. There should be an alternative.
Original post by Elizzey
Trousers are not the same thing. Yes I agree it is silly but heels can damage your body, trousers can't. Trousers (to the majority of people) are deemed as comfortable and smart, whereas to a large population of females, heels are deemed uncomfortable and painful. Fair enough if it's a tiny heel but woman still shouldn't HAVE to wear them. There should be an alternative.

Yea, the alternative is to not work in a job where appearances matter.
Finally someone with brains spoke out. Thought it would never happen in my lifetime

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending