The Student Room Group

Self-taught A Level Maths

Hey there,

I'm looking into self-studying A Level Maths and wondered if anyone had any experience?

How do I go about the whole thing? - How do I choose modules and exam centres to sit the exam? Is the admin process straightforward enough?

Is it worth choosing a distance learning college for their materials?

I plan on doing the Edexcel Maths A Level because there appears to be a wealth of resources for that exam board.
You choose whichever modules you want (C1 - 4 and 2 applied modules) and register to take them at a local school or college (you can find a list on Edexcel's website).

The school or college will have their own fees and admin they need you to do but it is usually just a simple form.

I wouldn't bother paying for a distance provider. I would save that money and spend it on a good tutor for a few hours near exam time if you need it. This depends on how confident you are though.
Reply 2
Original post by ByronicHero
You choose whichever modules you want (C1 - 4 and 2 applied modules) and register to take them at a local school or college (you can find a list on Edexcel's website).

The school or college will have their own fees and admin they need you to do but it is usually just a simple form.

I wouldn't bother paying for a distance provider. I would save that money and spend it on a good tutor for a few hours near exam time if you need it. This depends on how confident you are though.

Thanks!

Is there anywhere that I can find a complete list of all the module options?

Also, do the modules I choose have to be the same as the ones done at the school/college that I choose to sit my exams?
Original post by Juxtapose
Thanks!

Is there anywhere that I can find a complete list of all the module options?

Also, do the modules I choose have to be the same as the ones done at the school/college that I choose to sit my exams?

You will choose between statistics 1, decision 1 or mechanics 1. You can either take two of those or the corresponding "2" module to accompany the "1". You will find all of the information you need in the specification which you can download on the website. Remember that the spec will be changing soon though so if you do not intend to sit the exams in the next exam period (2017) things will be different.

Typically it doesn't matter what they offer for their students, but I would imagine some will have strange rules for whatever reason. Call and ask :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm self-taught and I take C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, D1. Word of advice though, don't leave it too late like I did. Can be overwhelming doing it on your own. I think taking Unit 1 of the applied units is the better than say taking, D1 and D2 or M1 and M2. But it's up to you. Have a look at statistics, mechanics and decision maths and see which you dislike the least. For me it was Mechanics. I live in London and I'm taking exams at North London College, they charge £60 per module. The cheapest I could find in London. Might be cheaper outside of London, things usually are lol!
Reply 5
Original post by Rubyx
I'm self-taught and I take C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, D1. Word of advice though, don't leave it too late like I did. Can be overwhelming doing it on your own. I think taking Unit 1 of the applied units is the better than say taking, D1 and D2 or M1 and M2. But it's up to you. Have a look at statistics, mechanics and decision maths and see which you dislike the least. For me it was Mechanics. I live in London and I'm taking exams at North London College, they charge £60 per module. The cheapest I could find in London. Might be cheaper outside of London, things usually are lol!

Thanks! :smile:

When you say, 'don't leave it too late' - do you mean the self-teaching/revision or sorting out where to sit exams?

How are you self-studying? I.e. Which materials are you using?

Quick Reply

Latest