The Student Room Group

Nurse work experience before Graduate Entry in Medicine?

Hi everyone,
I am planning to enter Medicine but I need to finish my Nursing degree first (December 2017).

As the Medicine course starts only in September I am planning to work anyway after graduation.
Would you guys advise me to work for an extra year (as a nurse) to get even more experience or to start the application process in my last year of Nursing to start in September 2018?

The interviews will probably take place before I start work so I am afraid my experience will 'only' be based on placements..and could perhaps penalise me..?

Thanks for your help x
Original post by JasmineJazz
Hi everyone,
I am planning to enter Medicine but I need to finish my Nursing degree first (December 2017).

As the Medicine course starts only in September I am planning to work anyway after graduation.
Would you guys advise me to work for an extra year (as a nurse) to get even more experience or to start the application process in my last year of Nursing to start in September 2018?

The interviews will probably take place before I start work so I am afraid my experience will 'only' be based on placements..and could perhaps penalise me..?

Thanks for your help x

Its really up to you. I was qualfied for 2 years before I applied, but thats mainly because I only decided I wanted to change careers then. But I feel my experience greatly helped me to cope with the course (GEM is no walk in the park and was a shock to the system after nursing). It also meant I had a break from being a student and got to enjoy being a grown up for a little while. For you, it could mean you would be able to save some money, to ease the financial pressure of being a student for four more years. It would also mean you would have enough experience to qualify you for bank or agency positions and you could work, if needed, as a nurse during studying for GEM.

I know a few nurses that have gone straight from the end of their degree in to GEM. Its certainly possible. I think you need to be able to clearly articulate why you want to quickly jump from one career to another and why you're better suited for medicine. As the future of GEM is uncertain, it may be wiser to aim to get in as soon as possible.

In essence though, I think it depends on you. And whether you can stomach 7 straight years of being a student.
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
Its really up to you. I was qualfied for 2 years before I applied, but thats mainly because I only decided I wanted to change careers then. But I feel my experience greatly helped me to cope with the course (GEM is no walk in the park and was a shock to the system after nursing). It also meant I had a break from being a student and got to enjoy being a grown up for a little while. For you, it could mean you would be able to save some money, to ease the financial pressure of being a student for four more years. It would also mean you would have enough experience to qualify you for bank or agency positions and you could work, if needed, as a nurse during studying for GEM.

I know a few nurses that have gone straight from the end of their degree in to GEM. Its certainly possible. I think you need to be able to clearly articulate why you want to quickly jump from one career to another and why you're better suited for medicine. As the future of GEM is uncertain, it may be wiser to aim to get in as soon as possible.

In essence though, I think it depends on you. And whether you can stomach 7 straight years of being a student.

Thanks a lot for your insight! It definitely helps.
If I may ask, in which department of nursing have you been working? Do you know what specialty you will go for as a doctor?
Original post by JasmineJazz
Thanks a lot for your insight! It definitely helps.
If I may ask, in which department of nursing have you been working? Do you know what specialty you will go for as a doctor?

I worked in stroke, then oncology and haematology and then special care baby unit before starting uni again. I have ideas about medical specialities but its quite different working as a doctor so I need to experience a bit more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending