The Student Room Group

Need help with my passport countersignature

my friend is helping me sign it but she is a little confused as to what to put down for profession, she's a student and works part time so what would her profession be? Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lovecupcakes
my friend is helping me sign it but she is a little confused as to what to put down for profession, she's a student and works part time so what would her profession be? Thanks in advance!

Counter-signatories must

have known the person applying (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years

be able to identify the person applying, eg they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows them professionally)

be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession

They can’t be closely-related to or involved with the person applying, eg:

related by birth or marriage

be in a relationship with or live at the same address as the person applying

If she doesnt have a recognised profession she may not be able to sign it

I wouldn't have thought she was eligible to sign it at all. Here is the list of approved professions:
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/accepted-occupations-for-countersignatories
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I wouldn't have thought she was eligible to sign it at all. Here is the list of approved professions:
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/accepted-occupations-for-countersignatories

Original post by minimimi

Counter-signatories must

have known the person applying (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years

be able to identify the person applying, eg they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows them professionally)

be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession

They can’t be closely-related to or involved with the person applying, eg:

related by birth or marriage

be in a relationship with or live at the same address as the person applying

If she doesnt have a recognised profession she may not be able to sign it

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/when-to-sign-what-to-do But it says here under "who can sign your form and photo" a friend who have known you for over two years?
Reply 4
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/when-to-sign-what-to-do But it says here under "who can sign your form and photo" a friend who have known you for over two years?

Yes, but that to stop people paying for professionals to sign it. You must be on friendly terms as they should be able to recognise you in ordinary settings.

They have to tick ALL those boxes, not just any one of them.
But it says here under "who can sign your form and photo" a friend who have known you for over two years?

Those bullet points all follow the word "must" and there are no ors. Whoever signs it must meet all three criteria, not just one of them.
They have to tick ALL those boxes, not just any one of them.

I blame the English teachers.

:tumble:
Original post by Good bloke

At your own risk....

I've lost track of all the passport applications I've signed for pupils over the years. I'm apparently 'of good standing in the community'. Who'd have thought it?
But one of my friend got one of her friends that is in college to do it for her :/ and nothing went wrong
But one of my friend got one of her friends that is in college to do it for her :/ and nothing went wrong

My grandmother had a saying for that:

Don't put your own head in the fire just because someone else has.

Couldn't you get a teacher, tutor or lecturer to countersign it?
Reply 12
Original post by Good bloke

Ha ha ha ha

(She's going to kill you...)
Original post by minimimi
Couldn't you get a teacher, tutor or lecturer to countersign it?

The lecturers don't really know me that well apart from me attending their lectures and my advisor is on holiday
Original post by jneill
Ha ha ha ha

(She's going to kill you...)

GB and I are good friends.

But yes, if he tries that one again, I may be tempted.
At your own risk....

I've lost track of all the passport applications I've signed for pupils over the years. I'm apparently 'of good standing in the community'. Who'd have thought it?

They're desperate! :tongue:
Original post by Tiger Rag
They're desperate! :tongue:

Right, m'lady, no passport signature for YOU!
The lecturers don't really know me that well apart from me attending their lectures and my advisor is on holiday

Do you have any family friends (of your mum and dad) that are in a profession? any nurses, solicitors, paramedics, teachers, police, accountant etc?

They don't need to know you well. They only need to be able to identify that you are who you say you are and to have known you for two years. It isn't a reference; they aren't saying you deserve a passport.
The idea is that the professional will also be on a register for professional reasons, and so be found again, should they wish to check.

So a GP has his GMC registration
But
A chef is just a random name

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending