The Student Room Group

Severe depression, anxiety and other mental health issues have affected my uni perfor

My depression and other mental health issues have caused me to basically fail uni this year.. I have missed most deadlines and all exams. Self destructive behaviours and the symptoms associated with depression have just spiralled out of control leaving me with absolutely no chance in sorting out this year at uni.. I think part of the problem is that I don't even like my course, which is social sciences, and I don't like my university (Glasgow Caledonian). I only want to do Psychology as my degree. My results from school are Scottish Highers (& Advanced Higher*) A*AABBC so I think I'd maybe be able to get in somewhere else at UCAS clearing?I just want to start fresh. But can I apply at UCAS clearing when I didn't apply this year at all? How do I go about doing it? I need all the help i can get thanks
Original post by Nihilism
My depression and other mental health issues have caused me to basically fail uni this year.. I have missed most deadlines and all exams. Self destructive behaviours and the symptoms associated with depression have just spiralled out of control leaving me with absolutely no chance in sorting out this year at uni.. I think part of the problem is that I don't even like my course, which is social sciences, and I don't like my university (Glasgow Caledonian). I only want to do Psychology as my degree. My results from school are Scottish Highers (& Advanced Higher*) A*AABBC so I think I'd maybe be able to get in somewhere else at UCAS clearing?I just want to start fresh. But can I apply at UCAS clearing when I didn't apply this year at all? How do I go about doing it? I need all the help i can get thanks

Start by talking to your personal tutor, whose job dealing with this kind of thing is. Then talk to your GP. Then look in here for the mechanisms of starting again.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Start by talking to your personal tutor, whose job dealing with this kind of thing is. Then talk to your GP. Then look in here for the mechanisms of starting again.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424

My personal tutor actually stays in Italy now and can only help me via email, I have never met them and don't feel comfortable with them. I really don't want to stay at this uni at all.
My personal tutor actually stays in Italy now and can only help me via email, I have never met them and don't feel comfortable with them. I really don't want to stay at this uni at all.

I'm sure there must be someone else who covers for them in their absence. However, the other two places to start are just as important.
Reply 4

Thats dire... But you should ask for a new tutor.

Raise it with the Welfare Officer at your SU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Hey, I'm going through a similar problem to you.

I started study at teesside in september, but depression and anxiety have 99% taken over my life and I lost complete interest in the course and the city I'm living in. None of my tutors actually made an effort to understand, I was constantly chased up about 'poor attendance' even though I went through the uni support system and and email was sent to all of my tutors explaining my conditions and my attendance may not be good because of this.

I've also been bullied because of my conditions, had 'friends' ignore me and stop talking to me and also express their opinions about 'what an awful annoying person I am' due to having depression and social anxiety.

I am sending off my UCAS application within the next 8-10 days, to go elsewhere as I'm truly not happy.

It's not even too late to apply, let alone go into clearing. It only goes into clearing if it's after 30 June. You should definitely get an application written out, apply for 5 universities (I suggest contacting them first to see if your chosen course has places, I know teesside do Psychology!) and see what happens.

Good luck!

Are you sure you are ready to start studying again immediately? I second the advice about seeing your doctor.
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
Are you sure you are ready to start studying again immediately? I second the advice about seeing your doctor.

I'm probably not but I want to get everything back on track so I'm going to go back to the doctor soon.
Reply 8
Original post by elleay
Hey, I'm going through a similar problem to you.

I started study at teesside in september, but depression and anxiety have 99% taken over my life and I lost complete interest in the course and the city I'm living in. None of my tutors actually made an effort to understand, I was constantly chased up about 'poor attendance' even though I went through the uni support system and and email was sent to all of my tutors explaining my conditions and my attendance may not be good because of this.

I've also been bullied because of my conditions, had 'friends' ignore me and stop talking to me and also express their opinions about 'what an awful annoying person I am' due to having depression and social anxiety.

I am sending off my UCAS application within the next 8-10 days, to go elsewhere as I'm truly not happy.

It's not even too late to apply, let alone go into clearing. It only goes into clearing if it's after 30 June. You should definitely get an application written out, apply for 5 universities (I suggest contacting them first to see if your chosen course has places, I know teesside do Psychology!) and see what happens.

Good luck!

I hope everything goes well for you! And thank you for the advice.
Start with the Dr and get a diagnosis.
Work with whatever the mental helath facilities they have at the Uni. Student Union or welfare as pointed out above.

Having both of them on your side will support you. I am guessing you are a first year? The talk to your tutor. If you dont trust or its too difficult, then explain to the department or course organiser what the situation is and get them to identify someone else you can talk to.

If you dont like the course or the Uni, then dont stay. You need to end things formally and cleanly at the Uni.

You then have two issues to deal with.

1. You should get your mental health under control so the same problems dont crop up at a new uni.
2. You should check with SFE about funding, this is more likely to be relevant if you were a 2nd ratehr than first year as you are allowed degree length +1. I havent taken into consideration you might be Scottish and the differences in their system.
3. When better reapply through UCASfor courses you wnat in palces you wish to study.

That would be my basic approach.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
Start with the Dr and get a diagnosis.
Work with whatever the mental helath facilities they have at the Uni. Student Union or welfare as pointed out above.

Having both of them on your side will support you. I am guessing you are a first year? The talk to your tutor. If you dont trust or its too difficult, then explain to the department or course organiser what the situation is and get them to identify someone else you can talk to.

If you dont like the course or the Uni, then dont stay. You need to end things formally and cleanly at the Uni.

You then have two issues to deal with.

1. You should get your mental health under control so the same problems dont crop up at a new uni.
2. You should check with SFE about funding, this is more likely to be relevant if you were a 2nd ratehr than first year as you are allowed degree length +1. I havent taken into consideration you might be Scottish and the differences in their system.
3. When better reapply through UCASfor courses you wnat in palces you wish to study.

That would be my basic approach.

I actually am Scottish so I need to do it through SAAS. I think I will miss a year of funding though which scares me. Yes I am first year, I forgot to mention that I think.
Reply 11
I actually am Scottish so I need to do it through SAAS. I think I will miss a year of funding though which scares me. Yes I am first year, I forgot to mention that I think.

You might not lose the year of funding if there are extenuating (e.g. medical) circumstances.

I was just covering myself as to whether they allow you the spare year (i would expect them to) or alternatively you would appeal for exceptional circumstances and get funding restored. these are the reasons you do it properly and get diagnosed plus use welfare services, so you can give all this evidence to your new uni and SAAS.

Your isnt an unusual situation and you are doing the right thing by leaving for a fresh start imo as long as you talk to the relevant people and think it all through. People post about this situation just about every day.

You do need to get yourself better. Good luck.
I also suffered severe mental health issues which started to appear 4-5 years ago. I did not think it was such a big issue until it was too late. I am applying for a new course at a new uni, even after completing two years into my course at a respected university. Sometimes, a fresh start is essential.

Anyway, I think what you should do, like the replies from above. Get suitable helps from all possible sources, including therapy, GP, psychiatrist (get a referral from your therapist or GP), etc. I think that it is important that you should get your health issues under control first. Otherwise, it will be hard to carry on with your studies while dealing with problems which are affecting your well-being; since I believe your mental health problem has probably affected your motivations toward things, so further studies will not be an easy option.

I cannot comment much about UCAS application, since I am not an expert. However, I believe major depression disorder is also one of the most disabling disorders out there. So I would strongly suggest you to get proper helps first.

Good luck with whatever your plan is, you are not alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending