The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by punkroses
Extra time has nothing to do with how good a persons grades are, he still has a disability and is entitled to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

he shouldn't be, thats what the OP is saying, and i agree
I have just started treatment for an ASD called Aspergers Syndrome. Even though it makes science and maths quite easy. It makes subjective subjects like english really difficult. Your frustrations are based on the fact that this person is really intelligent and gets extra time which you believe to be unfair however, something you don't understand is that for maths and science he will probably get top marks however for english he will (probably) struggle as for people like us, it's difficult to understand how people operate and so trying to understand the author is an almost impossible task. Then you have to consider that you only get an hour and half to figure this out. Extra time is necessary in this circumstance. However, you can't just give him extra time in 'some' exams, you have to give him extra time in all exams because that's not fair on him to only have extra time in some exams.

Finally, I would like to point out that exams aren't the end point of your life. You do your GCSE exams and then you do your A-Levels. Then, you may go to university. However, as soon as you get out of education, have you considered how difficult it will be for that person after he leaves school and he has to live in a world he doesn't understand?

Just something to think about.
Reply 42
Original post by Conservationofmass
Surely it would piss you off though?,especially when someone gloats to you, knowing you got less, in a condescending manner. One time he did it to my friend and he said "if I got an extra 20 minutes I would have got that..." lol

Nope, I get motivated by high achievers :tongue:
I just fail to see how someone having a condition which enhances his intelligence and mathematical ability means he should get more time than the rest of us, especially when he ****ing gloats about it, pisses me right off and more so because you can't say anything to him

And why's that...?
Original post by Maths465Man
I have just started treatment for an ASD called Aspergers Syndrome. Even though it makes science and maths quite easy. It makes subjective subjects like english really difficult. Your frustrations are based on the fact that this person is really intelligent and gets extra time which you believe to be unfair however, something you don't understand is that for maths and science he will probably get top marks however for english he will (probably) struggle as for people like us, it's difficult to understand how people operate and so trying to understand the author is an almost impossible task. Then you have to consider that you only get an hour and half to figure this out. Extra time is necessary in this circumstance. However, you can't just give him extra time in 'some' exams, you have to give him extra time in all exams because that's not fair on him to only have extra time in some exams.

Finally, I would like to point out that exams aren't the end point of your life. You do your GCSE exams and then you do your A-Levels. Then, you may go to university. However, as soon as you get out of education, have you considered how difficult it will be for that person after he leaves school and he has to live in a world he doesn't understand?

Treatment? Asperger's isn't a disease so I don't really understand what you're trying to say there.

Also just because you're good at a subject, doesn't mean it's down to your disability. As previously mentioned on this thread i did quite poorly in my math's exams (and i didn't even bother with Science) . On the other hand, in comparison I didn't rather well in English.
Reply 45
Original post by z33
K furst of all - be happy for the kid that it hasn't impaired his intelligence and he's actually happy with himself and how his grades are doing since his social life is probably less than stellar so that's one of the few things he CAN boast about and be happy with

Second of all, get your finger out of your arse and compete with him. Do better than he does so he has a challenge. Or ask him for help when you need it. Don't whine and cry about it just because he gets more time than you do, just be grateful you aren't autistic.

PRSOM
Original post by Devinely
Treatment? Asperger's isn't a disease so I don't really understand what you're trying to say there.

Also just because you're good at a subject, doesn't mean it's down to your disability. As previously mentioned on this thread i did quite poorly in my math's exams (and i didn't even bother with Science) . On the other hand, in comparison I didn't rather well in English.

I know it's not a disease however there are coping strategies in social situations that help autistic people to maintain social interactions.
Also, I know that your talent isn't down to Aspergers however it's true that a large amount of people with Aspergers do have high levels of ability in at least one subject.
Original post by 0to100
And why's that...?

you'd get in trouble. Or he'd make something up about you, like apprently he can't lie or some bs when he's done it loads of times, one time he did a monkey impression of our teacher (who was black) we didn't tell the head or anything though because they seem to think he's incapable of lying, when he does it a lot hhaa. Not worth the hassle.
3/75 ...... even extra time wont help tbh.
Original post by Maths465Man

The fact he's a **** about it pisses me off, wouldn't mind if he didn't gloat or be condescending about it.
This is like someone asking why a amputee deserves a prosthetic.

He has a condition which makes his mind work at a different pace to yours. The fact that your comparing your privilege of social awareness to someone who has a disadvantage because you see the timings in an exam as unfair is quite ignorant. He doesn't have to outwardly display conventional signs of what you understand to be autism to have the condition because the classification system is not defined - there's a whole spectrum. It's very complex.

You said yourself he's socially awkward, which is probably why he does not understand conventions of not boasting about his grades.

I understand your question and your attitude towards him but you could have worded the whole thing a bit better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you'd get in trouble. Or he'd make something up about you, like apprently he can't lie or some bs when he's done it loads of times, one time he did a monkey impression of our teacher (who was black) we didn't tell the head or anything though because they seem to think he's incapable of lying, when he does it a lot hhaa. Not worth the hassle.

It's not worth the hassle because they think he's mentally inferior and doesn't understand wtf he's doing lol which is why he gets extra time. Extra time doesn't necessarily mean a pass. If you don't know the material you can sit there as long as pete and still fail.
Original post by punkroses
Extra time has nothing to do with how good a persons grades are, he still has a disability and is entitled to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why should they be entitled to it though? Surely in the name of fairness they should be given no advantages to offset disadvantages, particularly given others with disadvantages are not given extra time.
1. can you not call us "autistics"
2. autistic spectrum disorders are complex and each individual has different needs. you may not see what he struggles with, but it doesnt mean its not there.
get your head out of your ass, mind your own business, and grow up. thanks
Reply 55
Because people with Autism sometimes need special requirements. I don't see why people have to act so hateful. If you took more time to research disorders like this then maybe you'd be a bit more respectful.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Why should they be entitled to it though? Surely in the name of fairness they should be given no advantages to offset disadvantages, particularly given others with disadvantages are not given extra time.

Are you honestly arguing that an individual with a social and communicational impairment does not deserve extra time in an exam just to satisfy an argument in the interest of 'fairness'?

Why should advantages not be given to disadvantaged individuals to give them a fair chance of achieving the same as everyone else?

There are people at my college who write too slowly; they were timed for 5 minutes on writing a paragraph and if they meet a certain quota of words to deem them as slow writers then they get 20 minutes extra time.

It's none of your business what other people's personal affairs are, despite that your arguing in the defence of 'fairness' because people with disadvantages out of their control do not have the same capabilities that you do. Take your inverted moral compass and find another thread to post invalid arguments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fact he's a **** about it pisses me off, wouldn't mind if he didn't gloat or be condescending about it.

He has aspergers, wtf do you expect? Not all people with Aspergers act like this but the most known aspect of it is difficulty in social interaction. Grow up. Your temper tantrum is real boring.
Original post by Jammy Duel

It's not an advantage. It's to put us on a level playing field.

Latest