The Student Room Group

Passed my test today in Hendon, wohoo!!!

So I just passed my test today! Yay so happy!! Surprisingly I only received 2 minor faults. They were: Reversing round a corner, I reversed a little to far back before turning round. And the second was getting one of the vehicle safety questions wrong.

When I realised that I messed up the reverse I thought I failed the test, even though all I had to do was reverse a bit more to the left when coming inside I completed themanoeuvre. But the MAJOR mistake I thought I made and failed was at the Apex roundabout. I was supposed to come off the 3rd exit towards totteridge. I took the 4th exit, I knew I had to take the 3rd but realised that if I did, I would be going in the right hand lane where all the fast drivers went, so thats why I didnt go and new I was in the wrong lane...(I think). I was praying to god that I hoped I would pass, I was sweating so much on the journey back!...and then when I got back....'Congratulations you passed'! RELIEF was what I felt when the driving teacher told me. So to celebrate I bought a nice greasy chicken doner kebab..which I felt awful after eating it :wink:

Just thought I would share my experience with yas! :smile:
Original post by Mumford & Dragons

Congratulations! I have my test on Friday. I'm soooo nervous ahh
Reply 2
Well done! :biggrin: really happy for you :h: happy driving!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
So I just passed my test today! Yay so happy!! Surprisingly I only received 2 minor faults. They were: Reversing round a corner, I reversed a little to far back before turning round. And the second was :smile:one of the vehicle safety questions wrong.

When I realised that I messed up the reverse I thought I failed the test, even though all I had to do was reverse a bit more to the left when coming inside I completed themanoeuvre. But the MAJOR mistake I thought I made and failed was at the Apex roundabout. I was supposed to come off the 3rd exit towards totteridge. I took the 4th exit, I knew I had to take the 3rd but realised that if I did, I would be going in the right hand lane where all the fast drivers went, so thats why I didnt go and new I was in the wrong lane...(I think). I was praying to god that I hoped I would pass, I was sweating so much on the journey back!...and then when I got back....'Congratulations you passed'! RELIEF was what I felt when the driving teacher told me. So to celebrate I bought a nice greasy chicken doner kebab..which I felt awful after eating it :wink:

:smile::smile::h:
Original post by Bubble_10
Congratulations! I have my test on Friday. I'm soooo nervous ahh

Good luck, hope you pass! The strange thing was, I was not nervous before and during most of the driving. I hear everyone gets super nervous!
Original post by Spock's Socks
Well done! :biggrin: really happy for you :h: happy driving!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Just need to do some research about purchasing a car and work out the expenses !
Well done, I can tell you are ecstatic by your enthusiastic post reliving the whole test! Went through this recently with my daughter, immense relief that it was all over from both of us (third time ha ha).

Good luck with your future driving.

If you need any help with first car expenses just ask.

Note: very expensive!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ViewOnlyMum
Well done, I can tell you are ecstatic by your enthusiastic post reliving the whole test! Went through this recently with my daughter, immense relief that it was all over from both of us (third time ha ha).

Good luck with your future driving.

If you need any help with first car expenses just ask.

Note: very expensive!

Haha thanks! And yes, I was going to ask for my next questions/s...

-where on earth do I start with researching to purchase a car?
-How quickly after I pass do people normally buy a car?
-Private dealers or companies?
-Pay Monthly, buy outright?
-I really like the smart car, thats the car I would like to buy, as it looks nice but also I am quite small so I prefer small looking cars like that.

Those are only a few questions I can think of when it comes to what do do next but need more help!

Haha thanks! And yes, I was going to ask for my next questions/s...

-where on earth do I start with researching to purchase a car?
-How quickly after I pass do people normally buy a car?
-Private dealers or companies?
-Pay Monthly, buy outright?
-I really like the smart car, thats the car I would like to buy, as it looks nice but also I am quite small so I prefer small looking cars like that.

Those are only a few questions I can think of when it comes to what do do next but need more help!

Firstly, you need to know your budget. Ours was simple, daughter is a student and we were buying the car so had a budget of 2.5k - 3.k. We were therefore looking for the newest car possible with the lowest mileage.

As daughter had only just passed her test and is very young the insurance is very expensive, so the car had to be cheap on insurance. The cheapest cars we found are those with less than 1000 cc engine. So think Peugeot 107, Citroen C1, Toyota Yaris etc These cars were also either very low car tax (£20) or no car tax, so one less expense. They are also very small so easy to drive, park and manoeuvre.

We decided against a dealer, simply because of our budget. For that price bracket a dealer has to make his cut, so the car would likely be over valued by £500 with no room for negotiation. Also we found that in that price bracket dealers seemed to be of the Arthur Daley types. We therefore chose to buy private as there were good deals to be had, particularly around March and September when the new reg plates come out and people are looking to upgrade and want to sell their old car privately rather than trading in with their new dealer. We bought just before March.

After we had picked which models were suitable we looked online on Autotrader to see what you could get for your money in terms of distance from home (to test drive), miles on the clock, condition of the car, age. I did this regularly over a few weeks so see what did and didn't sell. Avoid cat D and cat E cars on Autotrader unless your have a mechanic friend. These are always cheaper and look great, usually because they have been written off following previous damage or accident.

The car we eventually picked was owned by 2 previous girl owners. It was 4.5 years old and had 36000 miles on the clock and looked like new. The price was £2900 but we got it for £2625 after some negotiation. We took a knowledgeable friend who pointed out a few minor issues (scuffed wheel trims, one lock stuck etc) but basically said the car ran sound. We offered to pay cash and a bit of oil sorted the lock out.

The insurance was £1200 for the year including a black box, however that is because we had to declare daughter was a student and lived in student land, it would have been cheaper had she lived at home. No point lying, it can invalidate your insurance and the black box knows where you park.

We now have a very nice little car.

Things IMO to avoid:

Smart cars! - expensive and unreliable - only has two seats - I know someone who has one!
Cars owned by young men - terribly sexist but fact - Peugeot mechanic friend said cars owned by boys are more likely to be razzed, have overuse of the clutch, poorer wearing of the tyres etc etc - previous old ladies and young girl owners are preferred :-)
High mileage

I think most people get their first car when they can afford it. I wouldn't encourage anyone to get a loan to buy one, but sometimes especially when you have limited income, this is the only way. If you do have to borrow get a low interest bank loan, avoid Finance as generally the interest rate is much higher.

Good luck!
Thanks for the helpful information! Lots of research goes into this I guess. :smile:
So I just passed my test today! Yay so happy!! Surprisingly I only received 2 minor faults. They were: Reversing round a corner, I reversed a little to far back before turning round. And the second was getting one of the vehicle safety questions wrong.

well done, now you can legally drive yourself into a river

You've perfectly highlighted something which really needs to be mentioned more frequently to drivers who are getting ready for their test.

You will not be failed if you make a mistake when following the directions given by your examinor provided that whatever action you take is done so in a safe fashion.

Obviously if you completely ignore what you have been told to do then you're going to have a bad time, but if you simply make a mistake and take a wrong turning then it's not something they can fail you for.
Original post by mackemforever
You've perfectly highlighted something which really needs to be mentioned more frequently to drivers who are getting ready for their test.

You will not be failed if you make a mistake when following the directions given by your examinor provided that whatever action you take is done so in a safe fashion.

Obviously if you completely ignore what you have been told to do then you're going to have a bad time, but if you simply make a mistake and take a wrong turning then it's not something they can fail you for.

Ye it would have been great to know that. I think my instructor mentioned it a few times but that was months ago!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending