The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Physics Unit 3 WPH03 May June 2016 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

can someone explain why the vernier reading was 10.27 and not 10.70 or any other number?
Original post by bibliosmia
can someone explain why the vernier reading was 10.27 and not 10.70 or any other number?

10.2 from the main cm scale and then you read off the vernier scale, which had 7 divisions, every division was 0.01cm therefore 0.07cm

10.2+0.07 = 10.27, This is how I did it, gotta wait for the Mark scheme to be sure of the exact answer.

Vernier guide for reading:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks, man! Makes sense, but most of my friends got 10.70. Also, vernier constant is 0.005 cm right? So don't we use that?
Hey Guys. I have a question, a silly one though. For the refractive index diagram I drew it in the empty space below the questions. Is that okay.
Original post by SaadKaleem
Wrote the same answer, as both of you.

The %Uncertainty, had to be given in 2 s.f rather then 3 s.f because the data given in the question was 2 s.f max.

I think, I remember writing 7.9 (%) as the answer.

Did not get a negative gradient whatsoever,

Spoiler

Must have gotten confused then.But It didn't pass through origin
Original post by AlonsoAMG
Did some of ur answers look like this?:

multiple choice: A,D,A,B,D (directly proportional, velocity, 10.27, can't remember the other 2)

7.9%
gradient: 4.5
resistivity: 1.1 x10^-6

I didn't think it was too bad wbu

Got all the same answers, except 1st MCQ was linear as it didn't pass through the origin, it cannot be proportional.
Wrote the same answer, as both of you.

Are we talking about the last part of question number 6? with the trolley?
*Sigh* I ended up writing the range 2.97-3.03 s for the time given(3s) and then wrote whatever value you get within that range,You can round that off to 3s.Would I be able to score atleast 1 mark or was that completey wrong?
Original post by Owais.ik
Hey Guys. I have a question, a silly one though. For the refractive index diagram I drew it in the empty space below the questions. Is that okay.

I did the same! I was reconsidering drawing it on the main lined page but ran out of time. I mentioned stuff like "As shown in the diagram in the previous page.." in my answer though
Original post by Owais.ik

Thats totally fine, you can draw it in there!

Original post by OnTheHorizon
Are we talking about the last part of question number 6? with the trolley?
*Sigh* I ended up writing the range 2.97-3.03 s for the time given(3s) and then wrote whatever value you get within that range,You can round that off to 3s.Would I be able to score atleast 1 mark or was that completey wrong?

I don't think that is correct at all :frown:
Original post by bibliosmia
I did the same! I was reconsidering drawing it on the main lined page but ran out of time. I mentioned stuff like "As shown in the diagram in the previous page.." in my answer though

Well, for me I also said that for part b I have labelled the stuff on the diagram, I didnt mention last page though.
What did you guys get for the value of viscousity in the last question?
Original post by joose_99
What did you guys get for the value of viscousity in the last question?

Which paper were you doing? Viscosity? :colonhash::rofl:

I don't think that is correct at all :frown:

I believe I'm up to -7 marks now :K: Hope there aren't any more mistakes :adore:
Oh thanks. I feel much better now. Gl with your grades.
Which paper were you doing? Viscosity? :colonhash::rofl:

lmao maybe he meant resistivity
Original post by Hamadtype-
lmao maybe he meant resistivity

just kiddin. Anyone doing computer science (9608) tomorrow?
For the refractive index, question B asked to show on the diagram the quantities to be measured
We just had to draw a normal line and show the angle of incidence and refraction right?
Btw what do you think the grade boundaries will be guys? I doubt it's gonna be 35.In the previous 5 papers It has gone above 30 twice.Once at 31 and once at 33.
Original post by OnTheHorizon
Btw what do you think the grade boundaries will be guys? I doubt it's gonna be 35.In the previous 5 papers It has gone above 30 twice.Once at 31 and once at 33.

33 +- 1 in my opinion. I wonder if I'll grab an A, a B is for sure though.
Original post by iWant.A
For the refractive index, question B asked to show on the diagram the quantities to be measured
We just had to draw a normal line and show the angle of incidence and refraction right?

Yes Thats correct

Quick Reply

Latest