The Student Room Group

Where to look?

So I'm currently in year 12 and I'm looking at uni courses and open days. I'm interested in physical geography so looking at environmental science/ physical geography courses but I'd like to take some maths modules with the course as I also love maths.

I already want to look at Exeter, Southampton, York, Reading and Nottingham but can anyone recommend any others for me to look at and if they know if its possible to do a mixed degrees so I can study some maths with it.
Original post by Student232
So I'm currently in year 12 and I'm looking at uni courses and open days. I'm interested in physical geography so looking at environmental science/ physical geography courses but I'd like to take some maths modules with the course as I also love maths.

I already want to look at Exeter, Southampton, York, Reading and Nottingham but can anyone recommend any others for me to look at and if they know if its possible to do a mixed degrees so I can study some maths with it.

Hi Student232, I know that at Keele University you can take a dual honours degree in Geography and Maths, or Physical Geography and Maths, so half your degree would be geography and the other half would be maths. I'm not sure if that would be too maths-heavy though? :smile:

Hiya,
You might be interested in looking into the Sheffield University Sheffield Methods Institute. It has a course called Quantitative Social Sciences where you can pick to focus on physical geography (this is called your 'pathway'), and you study this alongside some statistics modules. I'm on the course and do the politics/sociology pathway so feel free to ask me any questions :smile: I'd really recommend having a look, it's a great course!
There are also 20 free credits each year so you could take more maths modules if you wanted to.
Let me know if you have any questions :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi Student232, I know that at Keele University you can take a dual honours degree in Geography and Maths, or Physical Geography and Maths, so half your degree would be geography and the other half would be maths. I'm not sure if that would be too maths-heavy though? :smile:

Thank you that sounds good. I'm just going to look at the course now. I'm quite happy to do half geography half maths as they are both my favourite subjects at school.
Reply 4
Original post by IzzySheffield
Hiya,
You might be interested in looking into the Sheffield University Sheffield Methods Institute. It has a course called Quantitative Social Sciences where you can pick to focus on physical geography (this is called your 'pathway':wink:, and you study this alongside some statistics modules. I'm on the course and do the politics/sociology pathway so feel free to ask me any questions :smile: I'd really recommend having a look, it's a great course!
There are also 20 free credits each year so you could take more maths modules if you wanted to.
Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Thank you, I just had a look at the course and I think I'd be more interested in the environmental sciences course instead as this has more modules I'm interesting it. The course you recommended looked good but it seemed like more human geography than I really was looking for but thanks for the suggestion.
Thank you, I just had a look at the course and I think I'd be more interested in the environmental sciences course instead as this has more modules I'm interesting it. The course you recommended looked good but it seemed like more human geography than I really was looking for but thanks for the suggestion.

No problem! Good luck finding a course :smile:

Glad to hear you are planning to look at Reading, I'm currently studying human and physical geography and loving it. We have a good range of module, some of which have more maths involved in them. Staff are also really helpful and there is lots of support. Here is the link to Physical Geography http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/geography-ug/bsc-physical-geography.aspx and here is the link to enviornmental science http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/environment-ug/bsc-environmental-science.aspx . These have a list of some of the modules we are likely to have on offer, so you can have a look.

All the geography and environmental sciences student do quite a bit of mixing in modules, during the field-trip and we also have a really good geography society Geogsoc, which organises all of our group social events. So it has a nice community feel to the department.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask me any other questions.
Emma :smile:
2nd Year Human and Physical Geographer
Reply 7
Original post by UniofReading
Glad to hear you are planning to look at Reading, I'm currently studying human and physical geography and loving it. We have a good range of module, some of which have more maths involved in them. Staff are also really helpful and there is lots of support. Here is the link to Physical Geography http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/geography-ug/bsc-physical-geography.aspx and here is the link to enviornmental science http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/environment-ug/bsc-environmental-science.aspx . These have a list of some of the modules we are likely to have on offer, so you can have a look.

All the geography and environmental sciences student do quite a bit of mixing in modules, during the field-trip and we also have a really good geography society Geogsoc, which organises all of our group social events. So it has a nice community feel to the department.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask me any other questions.

Thank you for the reply, glad you are enjoying it. :smile: From looking at the modules I think I like the look of the environmental science more but they both look really good. What's the field trip like? Is it the same every year?

Also how does the society work? What do you actually do in it? I've heard of societies before but never really understood what they are haha.
Thank you for the reply, glad you are enjoying it. :smile: From looking at the modules I think I like the look of the environmental science more but they both look really good. What's the field trip like? Is it the same every year?

Also how does the society work? What do you actually do in it? I've heard of societies before but never really understood what they are haha.

The environmental scientists normally go to Almeria, Spain, and this year the geographers got a choice, between Crete and Naples (and Berlin if your human geography). But trips could change, but they are places we've been this year. They also run additional fieldtrips, so the are running an Iceland trip for the department for the first time next year, which I'm going on. Obviously they could change but hopefully that gives you an idea.

So a society is basically a club, we have over 150 sports clubs and societies at Reading. So GeogSoc is a society for geography students and they run socials, formals, quizzes and things like that. So next we have our geography formal and we are all going dressed up fancy and in masquerade. We'll have a sit down dinner and then music and awards. They also go on trips, so this year geogsoc went to Budapest on tour and last year they went to Prague.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else.
Reply 9
Original post by UniofReading
The environmental scientists normally go to Almeria, Spain, and this year the geographers got a choice, between Crete and Naples (and Berlin if your human geography). But trips could change, but they are places we've been this year. They also run additional fieldtrips, so the are running an Iceland trip for the department for the first time next year, which I'm going on. Obviously they could change but hopefully that gives you an idea.

So a society is basically a club, we have over 150 sports clubs and societies at Reading. So GeogSoc is a society for geography students and they run socials, formals, quizzes and things like that. So next we have our geography formal and we are all going dressed up fancy and in masquerade. We'll have a sit down dinner and then music and awards. They also go on trips, so this year geogsoc went to Budapest on tour and last year they went to Prague.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else.

Thank you! The trips and clubs sound really cool. I'll definitely have a look at Reading in the summer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending