The Student Room Group

A gender neutral bisexual future?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3576041/Quarter-straight-young-women-admit-having-sex-fling-HALF-believe-gender-isn-t-fixed-thanks-celebrities-open-experiences.html

not long ago i made a thread about a poll that showed most teens don't believe in gender and see sexuality and gender as something fluid

last year YouGov made a poll that showed half of young Britain is bisexual and now this new poll with similar results, so what do you guys think and see in your daily life are we heading towards a bisexual gender fluid future for everyone?

Scroll to see replies

if we are than it's for the wrong reasons, I currently respect the people existing that genuinely are.
how many people in the future are genuinely going to be bisexual tho? idk

imo sexuality is fluid, it occurs when you aren't fully straight. personally I just see it as a person not having enough of their "genders" sex hormone to be fully attracted to the opposite gender or suttn which is most likely wrong. Idk I don't really care people can do what they want as long as they're being genuine about it.

I know that I'm 100% straight and that's all I care about lol.

Gender stereotypes exists n that's all imma say on that.
Reply 2
One word. Fad.

It's easy to identify as a bisexual-genderfluid-transwhatever when you are young and attractive. Let's see how many continue to do so when they are fat, balding and middle aged.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by annaew
last year YouGov made a poll that showed half of young Britain is bisexual

This sounds like a blatantly wrong statistic. Got a link to the details of it somewhere?
I'd say, judging by the natural world, we are all bi-sexual to some extent. Sex is, more or less imagination.

You probably could, if you put your brain to it find a blow up bit of plastic attractive or a sheep.

One assumes you could plot a graph as bi-sexual in the middle (the mean) and we're all somewhere near the graph line.

So basically no one is "gay" or "straight" - they are just labels we give to sexual thoughts and actions that are imaginations have so far limited us to - but we all know we could imagine something else if we so wished...
Reply 5

Are we really classing somebody who was one option below exclusively heterosexual on a self reported 0-6 scale as a "proper" bisexual? e.g if somebody maybe thinks to themselves "egh I guess I might try it with the opposite sex one time just to see what it's like" is it correct to class them as a bisexual person necessarily?

Also not sure if a sample size of roughly 1.5k is entirely representative of the full population. The full PDF provides much more useful data, which, interestingly does not say that half of young people identify as bisexual at all. You've kind of sensationalised what the data's actually showing, which will be why it sounds wrong to anybody that pays attention to people.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/7zv13z8mfn/YG-Archive-150813-%20Sexuality.pdf
Reply 7
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Are we really classing somebody who was one option below exclusively heterosexual on a self reported 0-6 scale as a "proper" bisexual? e.g if somebody maybe thinks to themselves "egh I guess I might try it with the opposite sex one time just to see what it's like" is it correct to class them as a bisexual person necessarily?

Also not sure if a sample size of roughly 1.5k is entirely representative of the full population. The full PDF provides much more useful data, which, interestingly does not say that half of young people identify as bisexual at all. You've kind of sensationalised what the data's actually showing, which will be why it sounds wrong to anybody that pays attention to people.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/7zv13z8mfn/YG-Archive-150813-%20Sexuality.pdf

I didn't sensationalize anything the media reported it that way. That were exactly the headlines last year when that poll was made public.

And for me personal heterosexual means i have no interested in the same sex, so no matter where you fall on that scale, if you want to try sex with the same gender you in my eyes are not heterosexual.

And in this thread here i wasn't talking about this poll i was talking about another poll that said more than a quarter of young women have had sex with other women, so if more and more polls like this come up my conclusion was that this is the direction in which our society is heading.

And i was curious what other people think about that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by annaew
I didn't sensationalize anything the media reported it that way. That were exactly the headlines last year when that poll was made public.

And for me personal heterosexual means i have no interested in the same sex, so no matter where you fall on that scale, if you want to try sex with the same gender you in my eyes are not heterosexual.

I'd give those sorts of people this label rather than bisexual tho
Reply 9
People label themselves as these hip new non-existent genders/sexualities because it's become fashionable... Further proof of just how sick modern society is. I used to say that with time they'll grow up, however I am starting to believe that these people will never stop deluding themselves. Only through strong culture change will we begin to make a difference. We're starting to see this in the US with the rise of Trump, but given the left is further rooted into European society I fear that such things wont happen over here for a long time.
Reply 10
I do believe there are people that go through a 'phase' of bisexuality.. but asexuality? That's a bit far-fetched. There are lot of middle-aged non binary individuals.
This is all bs. I really don't understand why people do this stuff or believe and support it?

It's just a trend, one I really hope dies out really soon.
Original post by Xelfrost
People label themselves as these hip new non-existent genders/sexualities because it's become fashionable... Further proof of just how sick modern society is. I used to say that with time they'll grow up, however I am starting to believe that these people will never stop deluding themselves. Only through strong culture change will we begin to make a difference. We're starting to see this in the US with the rise of Trump, but given the left is further rooted into European society I fear that such things wont happen over here for a long time.

I don't see how untraditional sexualities and genders hurt anyone. I don't think they need to change.

At this point most people making your sort of argument seem to make wishy-washy statements about "degeneracy" - I hope you won't, but I'll let you make your own justification.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by annaew

last year YouGov made a poll that showed half of young Britain is bisexual

Thats not what the poll showed.
Reply 14
Original post by lolakirk
Thats not what the poll showed.

but that is exactly what the press was talking about, then early this year a similar poll and now this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by annaew
no the YouGov poll was from last year i was just referring to that poll because more and more polls like this come up if you scroll through the answers here you will find the link to that YouGov poll.

I know which poll you are talking about and that poll made the rounds and if you actually looked at the poll and analysed it, you would realize it did not actually show that most people were bisexual or identified as bisexual.
Original post by elleay
I do believe there are people that go through a 'phase' of bisexuality.. but asexuality? That's a bit far-fetched.

A 'phase' of asexuality is something I've only really observed in 12-15 year olds who use the term when the reality is puberty hasn't hit them like a bus yet so they end up changing their mind later on.
Reply 17
Original post by lolakirk
I know which poll you are talking about and that poll made the rounds and if you actually looked at the poll and analysed it, you would realize it did not actually show that most people were bisexual or identified as bisexual.

yeah i know i edited my answer earlier, i misunderstood what you meant, but i didn't analyse the poll i just presented the poll in the same way the media did.
Reply 18
Original post by FredOrJohn
I'd say, judging by the natural world, we are all bi-sexual to some extent. Sex is, more or less imagination.

You probably could, if you put your brain to it find a blow up bit of plastic attractive or a sheep.

One assumes you could plot a graph as bi-sexual in the middle (the mean) and we're all somewhere near the graph line.

So basically no one is "gay" or "straight" - they are just labels we give to sexual thoughts and actions that are imaginations have so far limited us to - but we all know we could imagine something else if we so wished...

Umm, sorry but that's just blatantly not true.

In the natural world, we are largely heterosexual, at least according to the large population of the planet in every species that has a male and a female.

Now, that's not to say I'm of the "it's natural so it must be right" crowd.

A lot of nature is bad and wrong. The human nature to kill, for instance.

Most animals of most species kill each other.

Natural is not good.

If we were au naturelle we'd be living in caves still and mating would amount largely to being raped (case in point - the ducks I can see outside of my kitchen window right now are not "making love" - there are 3 mallards trying to mount a female).

All of human progress has rested on us not following our natural instincts.

Now, back to the debate.

Am I saying straight is natural?

Nope. There is evidence of a lot of homosexuality amongst species.

But is it rarer? Of course. Natural selection would not allow for high instances of this.

And we know from science that homosexuality isn't hereditary, but it is largely something we're born with, so unless the drinking water is changing, I don't for a second believe that homosexuality is now more common.

What is true is that people are being encouraged to let go of rigid gender and romantic stereotypes, which, can only be a positive thing.

The less men are repressed into these unattractive useless, uncaring, cavemen, beer-swilling "lad" stereotypes the better.

And the less women are repressed into these bimbo, looks and perfection obsessed, self-sacrificing play doll stereotypes the better.

Being 25 I think I might be of the last generation that had to grow up forced into this culture, which is quite sad.

Overall a positive development I'd say.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by J_89
Umm, sorry but that's just blatantly not true.

In the natural world, we are largely heterosexual, at least according to the large population of the planet in every species that has a male and a female.

Now, that's not to say I'm of the "it's natural so it must be right" crowd.

A lot of nature is bad and wrong. The human nature to kill, for instance.

Most animals of most species kill each other.

Natural is not good.

If we were au naturelle we'd be living in caves still and mating would amount largely to being raped (case in point - the ducks I can see outside of my kitchen window right now are not "making love" - there are 3 mallards trying to mount a female).

All of human progress has rested on us not following our natural instincts.

Now, back to the debate.

Am I saying straight is natural?

Nope. There is evidence of a lot of homosexuality amongst species.

But is it rarer? Of course. Natural selection would not allow for high instances of this.

And we know from science that homosexuality isn't hereditary, but it is largely something we're born with, so unless the drinking water is changing, I don't for a second believe that homosexuality is now more common.

What is true is that people are being encouraged to let go of rigid gender and romantic stereotypes, which, can only be a positive thing.

The less men are repressed into these unattractive useless, uncaring, cavemen, beer-swilling "lad" stereotypes the better.

And the less women are repressed into these bimbo, looks and perfection obsessed, self-sacrificing play doll stereotypes the better.

Being 25 I think I might be of the last generation that had to grow up forced into this culture, which is quite sad.

Overall a positive development I'd say.

But that is not what this poll is indicating or trying to indicate, this poll clearly says that a quarter of women have same sex experience. And the poll earlier this year clearly indicates that more and more people see themselves as non binary people who use gender neutral pronouns, there is a huge rise in transgender children and last year the poll clearly showed that over half of young people see their sexuality as something fluid.

So either there is a trend and a social shift going on or the media tries to push an agenda.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending