The Student Room Group

Feels weird returning to my family home (parents) after moving out.

I know people always say it's never the same again once you flock the nest and move out; I didn't really feel this would be the case, until about 4-6 weeks ago when I moved out, I returned home today to see family in what will be a flying visit.

It feels very weird, almost odd. It's like, this is my home, but it isn't. Feels a bit like looking into a snow globe and seeing what was and what now 'is'.

It is odd knowing that tomorrow I have to travel 2/3hrs back to my house I share with my partner and back to work in my new job.

Anybody relate?
Original post by royal1990
I know people always say it's never the same again once you flock the nest and move out; I didn't really feel this would be the case, until about 4-6 weeks ago when I moved out, I returned home today to see family in what will be a flying visit.

It feels very weird, almost odd. It's like, this is my home, but it isn't. Feels a bit like looking into a snow globe and seeing what was and what now 'is'.

It is odd knowing that tomorrow I have to travel 2/3hrs back to my house I share with my partner and back to work in my new job.

Anybody relate?

My old home stopped feeling that way quickly, what you re feeling is pretty common.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
My old home stopped feeling that way quickly, what you re feeling is pretty common.

Yeah I'm starting to realise that, I have just never gotten to the stage of feeling indifferent to my family home until recently, after having spent the last 25yrs of my life here.

I'm feel more irritated due to my mothers behaviour toward me; asking the same probing questions, about my relationship and job, so as to come across as cynical and doubtful as to my enjoyment. As though I'm going to turn around and say "hey it's going terrible, I want to come home"...it is very patronising despite been motherly.

Then there is the whole,can you take the dog out, shortly after arriving, then later telling me to do so again, then forgetting of denying every asking me to do so earlier, despite what she said.

It all gets very old quickly and frustrating,,,,

Moral do story: it's different looking from the outside in. You have a different perspective once you do so., I.e. leave home.
(edited 7 years ago)
It feels weird although I enjoy going to visit my mum and really enjoy visits. It's just sometimes a little weird to be there when I'm expected to still treat it as home (help myself to food, clean up, amuse myself etc) but at the same time I'm a guest... it's just a strange dynamic.

Quick Reply

Latest