The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Campus room and guests: how strict are the rules? (Especially Queen Margaret?)

Hello! I hope this question hasn't been posted yet, anyway I'm hoping to live in the Queen Margaret Campus next year and reading the Accommodation section, they say that guests are allowed only 3 nights per month and only one guest they have to be signed in, have IDs checked etc...?
I'm an EU student so none of my friends will be there and I'd like my mom or my boyfriend to visit sometimes but they would definitely come for more than 3 nights:s-smilie:
Are these campus rules really that strict, does the halls staff really check on you and your guests or can you sneak in!?
Especially my boyfriend will never come visit me if he has to pay for an hotel hahaha:tongue:
Hope someone knows something :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by autumnsongg
Hello! I hope this question hasn't been posted yet, anyway I'm hoping to live in the Queen Margaret Campus next year and reading the Accommodation section, they say that guests are allowed only 3 nights per month and only one guest they have to be signed in, have IDs checked etc...?
I'm an EU student so none of my friends will be there and I'd like my mom or my boyfriend to visit sometimes. Are they really that strict, do they really check?
Especially my boyfriend will never come visit me if he has to pay for an hotel hahaha:tongue:
Hope someone knows something :biggrin:

Unless you were planning to share a single bed with your mum, it probably isn't an issue for her :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
Unless you were planning to share a single bed with your mum, it probably isn't an issue for her :smile:

No wait haha my question is on whether the University staff are really strict about having guests for more than 3 nights etc :biggrin: Sorry if I didn't explain quite well haha
Reply 3
They won't inspect your room every day.

I don't think they seriously expect people to tell whether they will have guests for more than three nights a month.
as long as you don't annoy your flatmates causing them to complain then there is no reason anyone would know whether or not you have a guest, don't worry
These tend to be the sorts of rules that are strict in theory, and entirely and completely unenforced as a matter of policy in practice. They mostly exist just so that they have a leg to stand on if someone's abusing things to a ridiculous degree (say, subletting their room).
Heya, I've moved this to the QM forum for you as I feel like you might benefit from specific information about that uni.

I know of one university (though I suspect that it's an extreme case, Uni of Bedfordshire) where they are really strict on accommodation and you need to hand ID in and wear a visitor badge or something along those lines, and there's security in the accommodation (I think it's just someone sitting at a desk), so it does happen..

But at the same time, a lot of places are more lax. They just say that you need to inform them that there'll be someone there for a maximum of x nights, but really some people just don't tell them and unless someone from your flat or somewhere else doesn't assume that you have permission, then.. the likelihood of them finding out.. :shh:
Reply 7
Well I hope it's like you all said and they won't be too strict!
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest