The Student Room Group

Worried about GCSE Maths!!!

I am sitting Edexcel higher tier maths papers on 26th May and 9th June 2016 and very worried I won't get an A* or A. I am a B/C borderline student and need at least an A in maths for the A levels I want to do.

Any tips on getting A/A* in Maths?
Reply 1
First of all, show all your working - you may still pick up marks even if the answer is wrong.

Do past papers and revise any weaker areas
Reply 2
Original post by Tinka99
I am sitting Edexcel higher tier maths papers on 26th May and 9th June 2016 and very worried I won't get an A* or A. I am a B/C borderline student and need at least an A in maths for the A levels I want to do.

I took mine a year early and got an A*. I would highly recommend doing as many past papers as possible. The more you do, the less mistakes you will make and the more you get used to the questions
Reply 3
Original post by Tinka99

I have the same problem. Even though I'm predicated A* I'm really worried my A's will drop to a B, but I've found just by doing past papers my grade is improving. Highlight things you get wrong in each paper, revise that topic and THEN move on.

Also, the amount of times I get marks for method and not answer is ubelievable :smile: Show working always, and read questions carefully to stop from doing silly mistakes by accident (like me...)

Good luck :smile: my exam's in like two weeks, hopefully I'll be okay lol
Maths Watch. The woman saved me.

but we'll see if she actually did save me on 25th august.
Reply 5
I spent a month doing only past papers, and watching maths videos. Went from a B to an A*
http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/

They explain every topic well with videos and there's also practice questions and past papers.
Last year I did my mathematics high tier exam and got an A, all you have to do is revise from your book but not heavily, just to remember anything you might forget, anyways then start doing all the past papers, man, My I was like 1 month away from my gcses and I havent studied much about it, my friend told me to study past papers, thats what I did and it got me an A with 3 marks close to A*
Reply 8
Original post by Hamadtype-
Last year I did my mathematics high tier exam and got an A, all you have to do is revise from your book but not heavily, just to remember anything you might forget, anyways then start doing all the past papers, man, My I was like 1 month away from my gcses and I havent studied much about it, my friend told me to study past papers, thats what I did and it got me an A with 3 marks close to A*

Do you now do it at A level?
Original post by Rajive
Do you now do it at A level?

Yeah I've just done my physics and chemistry unit 3 exams, my mathematics is in two weeks.
Just do past papers and watch a lot of videos :smile: examsolutions.net is amazing too. I'm an A student, and all the past papers i do give me an A all the time, but i really need an A* this time..
Some good videos on YouTube can help. I would recommend CorbettMaths. They explain things really well plus all my teachers rant and rave about them! I got full marks in my T3 and T4 but I'm not sure I could advise you on how to do that. My father is an engineer so I've been made to like maths. 😩 Fingers crossed I'll do equally as well in my T6! I tend not to worry about the exam and not look over my work the day of the exam because, I don't know about you, I start picking faults in my knowledge and I get sucked into a deep hole and convince myself I know nothing! Anyway, past papers highlight whereabouts you're going wrong and you'll be able to focus on that. Good luck 😊
I'm pretty much guaranteed an A but will be dissapointed if I don't get an A*.
As for the exam itself, it is probably the most enjoyable exam to do (I know, shocker).
I prefer Methods to Applications but I am better at Applications like most people.

Quick Reply

Latest