C1 discriminant gold paper edexcel

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by samb1234
well what is the discriminant?

b24ac b^2 -4ac

but i don't know how to do the show bit in the question
x2+(k+3)x+k[br][br]a=1,b=(k+3)andc=kx^2+(k+3)x+k[br][br]a=1, b=(k+3) and c=k

So b24ac=(k+3)24(1)(k)=k2+6k+94k=k2+2k+9b^2-4ac = (k+3)^2-4(1)(k) = k^2+6k+9-4k = k^2+2k+9

Then complete the square.... for the next bit
Original post by Big Moisty
b24ac b^2 -4ac

but i don't know how to do the show bit in the question

complete the square
Just do exactly the same thing as you'd normally do if b and c were regular numbers.
Reply 6
Original post by Math12345
x2+(k+3)x+k[br][br]a=1,b=(k+3)andc=kx^2+(k+3)x+k[br][br]a=1, b=(k+3) and c=k

So b24ac=(k+3)24(1)(k)=k2+6k+94k=k2+2k+9b^2-4ac = (k+3)^2-4(1)(k) = k^2+6k+9-4k = k^2+2k+9

Then complete the square.... for the next bit

ok done it what now???

complete the square

OOps sorry all maybe i should've clarified xD

it's part C which i can't do
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7

it's part C which i can't do

If you complete the square you get (squared number) + positive number which is obviously always a positive number, so you've shown that the discriminant is positive for all values of k, what does the discriminant always being >0 mean?
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
If you complete the square you get (squared number) + positive number which is obviously always a positive number, so you've shown that the discriminant is positive for all values of k, what does the discriminant always being >0 mean?

It has 2 values? It can't be less than 0?
Reply 9
It has 2 values? It can't be less than 0?

If the discriminant is >0, then there are (two) real roots to the equation f(x) = 0.
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
If the discriminant is >0, then there are (two) real roots to the equation f(x) = 0.

Yes but how do i prove that k has values when f(x)=0 ?
Reply 11
Yes but how do i prove that k has values when f(x)=0 ?

What?

Your discriminant is in terms of k.

If you show that your discriminant is always > 0 no matter what k is then you've shown that f(x) = 0 has (two) real roots no matter what.

You show that your discriminant is always > 0 no matter what k is by writing it in the form (squared number) + (positive number) which are both positive terms and hence the discriminant is always positive and > 0.
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
What?

Your discriminant is in terms of k.

If you show that your discriminant is always > 0 no matter what k is then you've shown that f(x) = 0 has (two) real roots no matter what.

You show that your discriminant is always > 0 no matter what k is by writing it in the form (squared number) + (positive number) which are both positive terms and hence the discriminant is always positive and > 0.

oops me being derpy.

so do i have to write some words or show some sort of proof using maths?
Reply 13
oops me being derpy.

so do i have to write some words or show some sort of proof using maths?

Just say "since the discriminant is always > 0 then..."
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken
Just say "since the discriminant is always > 0 then..."

then where the squared bracket is always positive you'll always have a value great than 0?
Reply 15
then where the squared bracket is always positive you'll always have a value great than 0?

Since you have a squared bracket which is always positive (a squared number is always >=0)
+
A positive number which is always positive

Then (squared bracket) + (positive) = positive.
Reply 16
Original post by Zacken
Since you have a squared bracket which is always positive (a squared number is always >=0)
+
A positive number which is always positive

Then (squared bracket) + (positive) = positive.

ok thanks

I would just say squared bracket is>= 0 so discriminant is >=positive constant >0 so therefore 2 real roots for all values of k
Reply 18
I would just say squared bracket is>= 0 so discriminant is >=positive constant >0 so therefore 2 real roots for all values of k

ok thanks :smile:
Reply 19
ok thanks

Cool. No problem.

Quick Reply

Latest