The Student Room Group

selling on ebay?

Hi everyone, i have recently restarted trading on ebay and my score is about 140 at present. I wanted to know have any of you other people done trading on here, selling specifically, and what is your experience of this??
I suggest you join the ebya forums. They have a mountain of useful information and guides on every aspect.
You need to look into how to maximise your sales as well as how to avoid disputes and fraud.
Reply 2
Thanks Richie, i have actually registered a sole trader selling account with paypal for tax purposes, but for the actual trade i intend to use my standard account. i have also started do some trades on behalf of a close friend of mine, but i will not shaft him. that is for sure. buyers can always execute a charge back in the cases where they think that they have been ripped off, and the ebay systems put in place seem to be quite robust in cases like these.

out of interest richie, what is you sellers limit presently at, for ebay i mean?
(edited 4 years ago)
I did some iTunes Gift Card selling around Christmas time, buying them up cheap off certain sites and selling them at close to face value on eBay.

I was making almost £60 a day whilst I did it and it only took me a few hours in total to buy, list and send the codes.

I had two eBay disputes raised against me, both claiming the purchase had been made without their permission. Due to me only sending the code on the cards rather than the physical card itself, I was expecting to lose both disputes as they don't count as a 'real item'.
Fortunately for me, eBay accepted a screenshot of a message from their account confirming the codes were genuine as 'proof of postage' and ruled in my favour.

Being able to get the iTunes cards so cheap, I kept a few of them for myself and now have plenty of iTunes credit to spend!
I like when sellers bid. I "sniped" a refurbished laptop for a fiver.
Reply 5
Original post by TelAviv
I did some iTunes Gift Card selling around Christmas time, buying them up cheap off certain sites and selling them at close to face value on eBay.

I was making almost £60 a day whilst I did it and it only took me a few hours in total to buy, list and send the codes.

I had two eBay disputes raised against me, both claiming the purchase had been made without their permission. Due to me only sending the code on the cards rather than the physical card itself, I was expecting to lose both disputes as they don't count as a 'real item'.
Fortunately for me, eBay accepted a screenshot of a message from their account confirming the codes were genuine as 'proof of postage' and ruled in my favour.

Being able to get the iTunes cards so cheap, I kept a few of them for myself and now have plenty of iTunes credit to spend!

Okay i'm glad you've had some joy in this case. I have previously sold quite a lot of stuff, junk mostly. But i am now close to having a contract drawn up by a third party who i met on a job website, to trade on his behalf (expensive items), and take a percentage of the final profits as a cut. I think that this is all above board?
Reply 6
That's good, my limit is £6000 with 90 items. I still need to get my paypal limit increased however, before i can sell any more?

Original post by 0to100
I like when sellers bid. I "sniped" a refurbished laptop for a fiver.

I don't understand what this means/? Sellers don't do the bidding, buyers do that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by john2054

I don't understand what this means/? Sellers don't do the bidding, buyers do that.

Bid, auction whatever. I just eBay search for low prices on the item I want, and never bid, I wait till the auction ends and put my price :wink:
Okay i'm glad you've had some joy in this case. I have previously sold quite a lot of stuff, junk mostly. But i am now close to having a contract drawn up by a third party who i met on a job website, to trade on his behalf (expensive items), and take a percentage of the final profits as a cut. I think that this is all above board?

I find it slightly odd that someone would want you to trade on their behalf in the long term, especially when its with expensive items. Why wouldn't they do it themselves if there's good money to be made?

As another posted has said, I recommend asking on the eBay forums where one of their staff can give you pointers.

*I suggest making a new account to ask questions on, just in case they consider asking such questions constitutes breaking the rules and ban you.
Reply 9
Original post by 0to100
Bid, auction whatever. I just eBay search for low prices on the item I want, and never bid, I wait till the auction ends and put my price :wink:

Yes it sure is a good place to get great bargins, if you know how to use it.
Yes it sure is a good place to get great bargins, if you know how to use it.

I know my secrets. I'm one cheap bastard.
Reply 11
Original post by TelAviv
I find it slightly odd that someone would want you to trade on their behalf in the long term, especially when its with expensive items. Why wouldn't they do it themselves if there's good money to be made?

As another posted has said, I recommend asking on the eBay forums where one of their staff can give you pointers.

*I suggest making a new account to ask questions on, just in case they consider asking such questions constitutes breaking the rules and ban you.

I am an active member of these student forums, and i find it helpful to ask other students for their experiences of using ebay. i don't see how this is breaking the rules?

They are making the money, i am just setting up the listings for them.
I am an active member of these student forums, and i find it helpful to ask other students for their experiences of using ebay. i don't see how this is breaking the rules?

They are making the money, i am just setting up the listings for them.

I'm talking about eBay's forums, not TSR. Some sites regard 'conspiring to' do something as equivalent of doing something, although I don't actually know what say about it.

You'll probably be fine using your normal account on eBay, but I would still use a spare one just to be 100% safe.
Reply 13
Original post by TelAviv
I'm talking about eBay's forums, not TSR. Some sites regard 'conspiring to' do something as equivalent of doing something, although I don't actually know what say about it.

You'll probably be fine using your normal account on eBay, but I would still use a spare one just to be 100% safe.

I do have a backup account on ebay TelAviv, the problem is that it has a very low rating score (literally zero), and so i wouldn't be able to sell anything from it with confidence. Certainly not the kind of high value goods which we are looking at trading in the near future?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending