The Student Room Group

b) “Deontological ethics is inflexible’. Discuss

Does anyone have any help/tips on answering this, and similar questions to a high standard at AS Level?
Original post by ben2016
Does anyone have any help/tips on answering this, and similar questions to a high standard at AS Level?

Use many arguments for why deontological theories are good or bad, really it's a simple as that.
Reply 2
That doesn't really adress the issue of inflexibilty though
Original post by ben2016
That doesn't really adress the issue of inflexibilty though

but it does

what's a deontological theory? in terms of relativism and absolutism
Original post by ben2016

Deontological approaches to ethics focus solely on the rules and the actions themselves and not the consequences. Refer to Kantian ethics - a deontological ethic, and perhaps something like Divine Command Theory. I do Religious Studies at A-Level, so if you want help then I don't mind :smile:
Reply 5
I know what deontelogical ethics are, I was looking more for an evaluative approach tho them, discussing them in light of the statement that they are "inflexible"
Original post by ben2016
I know what deontelogical ethics are, I was looking more for an evaluative approach tho them, discussing them in light of the statement that they are "inflexible"

Well how can you not do that if you know the definition? They are inflexible by definition. It's an easy question.
Original post by ben2016

Then how can't you answer this yourself? i'm confused...
Original post by ivybridge
Well how can you not do that if you know the definition? They are inflexible by definition. It's an easy question.

my point too

Spoiler

@ben2016 - I'm going to give you brief pointers. If you can't do this sort of question by yourself, you should be worried now. This is very straightforward if you know what deontological ethics are.

Deontological ethics are an approach based on the rules and the actions themselves and not the consequences.

Explain a deontological ethic such as Kantian Ethics (Categorical Imperative, Duty, blah blah) and give some examples from the applied ethics topics of how it is inflexible or flexible depending on your argument.

Counter Kantian Ethics as inflexible by arguing that Kant accepts our ability to reason and deduce a logical, morally good, outcome.

Use another such as Divine Command Theory and explain that it is a blind following of the rules.

Give some examples.

Use one to evaluate the other.

Conclude your argument. I would personally be aiming to conclude that they have limited flexibility.

Now, go do it.

Quick Reply

Latest