The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature: LITB1 - Friday 20th May 2016!

Who is taking this paper? I'm taking it again to boost my UMS.

My texts are:

1. Enduring Love by Ian McEwan
2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
3. Browning's Anthology
4. Tennyson's Anthology

Do you have any thoughts about what could come up? Discuss away!

Scroll to see replies

Same as you except I don't do Tennyson's anthology, instead I do Rime of the ancient mariner.

I feel under prepared atm :frown:

I feel like chapter 6 Gatsby will come up though.
Reply 2
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Same as you except I don't do Tennyson's anthology, instead I do Rime of the ancient mariner.

I feel under prepared atm :frown:

I feel like chapter 6 Gatsby will come up though.

Woo! We can help each other :smile:

My predictions:

Tennyson - either The Lady of Shallot Part 1 or Part 2, or Godiva.

Browning - The Patriot or another of the poems I haven't done (we only do 4 of them at my school)

Enduring Love - Chapter 24

The Great Gatsby - Chapter 6

I feel so nervous too :frown:
Original post by ivybridge
Woo! We can help each other :smile:

My predictions:

Tennyson - either The Lady of Shallot Part 1 or Part 2, or Godiva.

Browning - The Patriot or another of the poems I haven't done (we only do 4 of them at my school)

Enduring Love - Chapter 24

The Great Gatsby - Chapter 6

I feel so nervous too :frown:

I though patriot would come up last year and it didn't -_-

I have an amazing booklet thing on the patriot, I'll post it in a sec.

Hate enduring love, so under prepared with enduring love. FML!

Definitely feeling chapter 6 for Gatsby, although I won't get too confident but I feel like it.

Oh I need to do better, I got a C over all last year :frown: D in the exam, thankfully an A in the coursework but I let myself down because I waffled like an idiot, I was also under prepared.... so can't repeat that again!
Reply 4
I though patriot would come up last year and it didn't -_-

I have an amazing booklet thing on the patriot, I'll post it in a sec.

Hate enduring love, so under prepared with enduring love. FML!

Definitely feeling chapter 6 for Gatsby, although I won't get too confident but I feel like it.

Oh I need to do better, I got a C over all last year :frown: D in the exam, thankfully an A in the coursework but I let myself down because I waffled like an idiot, I was also under prepared.... so can't repeat that again!

The Laboratory had never come up and it was my favourite one, I got 19 out of 21 on that :biggrin:

Oh, yay! Thank you. I have the AQA Examiner notes for it on the Aspects of Narrative if you'd like that?

I hate Enduring Love too.

I seriously recommend you do poetry in Section A. It is so much easier for the Aspects of Narrative.

It's really hard - please don't worry too much. You'll be okay. What's your A2 unit? :smile:
https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/the-patriot-as-level-6336833

You can find model annotations for the patriot here. :smile:
Reply 6
For those who find it helpful:

SECTION A:

Little a). 'How does ... tell the story in ....?' - AO1 and AO2 assessed only.

Little b). AO1, AO3 and AO4 assessed only.

SECTION B:

Assessment objectives AO1, AO2 and AO3 assessed here. Write a brief introduction, maybe a conclusive sentence, and write it text by text. Do not juggle and compare. Furthermore, it is recommended that you do two paragraphs on each text. If you do a poetry anthology (which you will) in Section B, you must write about at least two poems. Your choice of poems is essential.

Most of the time, the question relates to an aspect of narrative - try and decipher which aspect it is relating to when you begin the reading the questions and just jot it down next to it. For example:

'Write about the ways in which writers use key events in their narratives.'

This is evidently a question about Time and Sequence.

THE ASPECTS OF NARRATIVE:

Place/Setting
Time/Sequence
Character
Voices (Narrative Voice, usually)
Point of View
Destination
The Laboratory had never come up and it was my favourite one, I got 19 out of 21 on that :biggrin:

Oh, yay! Thank you. I have the AQA Examiner notes for it on the Aspects of Narrative if you'd like that?

I hate Enduring Love too.

I seriously recommend you do poetry in Section A. It is so much easier for the Aspects of Narrative.

It's really hard - please don't worry too much. You'll be okay. What's your A2 unit? :smile:

Yes please :h:

I'll post some more stuff on here after I finish my history stuff :tongue: (so Friday night most likely).

I agree with you, I think I'll go with poetry. Gatsby is too stressful. Our teachers made us do Gatsby last year and I don't think it worked very well for me. I'm clearly not very good at analysing a chapter and linking it into the the chronology of the whole book, it's too large for me. (if that makes sense).

Oh dear, if I do worse i'm going to want to jump off a cliff :yes:
For those who find it helpful:

SECTION A:

Little a). 'How does ... tell the story in ....?' - AO1 and AO2 assessed only.

Little b). AO1, AO3 and AO4 assessed only.

SECTION B:

Assessment objectives AO1, AO2 and AO3 assessed here. Write a brief introduction, maybe a conclusive sentence, and write it text by text. Do not juggle and compare. Furthermore, it is recommended that you do two paragraphs on each text. If you do a poetry anthology (which you will) in Section B, you must write about at least two poems. Your choice of poems is essential.

Most of the time, the question relates to an aspect of narrative - try and decipher which aspect it is relating to when you begin the reading the questions and just jot it down next to it. For example:

'Write about the ways in which writers use key events in their narratives.'

This is evidently a question about Time and Sequence.

THE ASPECTS OF NARRATIVE:

Place/Setting
Time/Sequence
Character
Voices (Narrative Voice, usually)
Point of View
Destination

Ah very beautifully explained, bravo :borat:
Reply 9
Yes please :h:

I'll post some more stuff on here after I finish my history stuff :tongue: (so Friday night most likely).

I agree with you, I think I'll go with poetry. Gatsby is too stressful. Our teachers made us do Gatsby last year and I don't think it worked very well for me. I'm clearly not very good at analysing a chapter and linking it into the the chronology of the whole book, it's too large for me. (if that makes sense).

Oh dear, if I do worse i'm going to want to jump off a cliff :yes:

I will do soon, then :smile:

Yes, do not do that. People find it hard because it is. It is hard to tell the story in a chapter. It isn't supposed to be talked about in that way. You'd have to get the right balance between what's in Chapter 6 and what is in the rest of the novel to do okay.
Reply 10
Ah very beautifully explained, bravo :borat:

:colondollar: :love:
Reply 11
ASSESSMENT OBJECTIVES

AO1 - fluent, clear, concise written expression.

AO2 - analysis of language, form and structure.

AO2 - brief and relevant integrated quotation.

AO3 - debate; give both sides of the argument and discuss a point.

AO4 - social historical context; this should be added lightly and should arise from your points - do not just stick it in unless you are desperate to get it in somewhere by the end.
Reply 13

Thank you :smile:
Reply 14
:bump:
Anyone got any predictions for the section B question??:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by annajjd432
Anyone got any predictions for the section B question??:smile:

You can't really predict them.
You can't really predict them.

A question on endings would be apt for the final paper of the course :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by annajjd432
A question on endings would be apt for the final paper of the course :smile:

It would. However, haven't they already had one on openings and endings?

Moreover, it isn't the 'final' one per-se.
i'm planning on doing the ancient mariner for section A and gatsby, kite runner and keats for section B.... any ideas of what questions might come up for the ancient mariner in section A??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending