The Student Room Group

Feelings for a friend who probably doesn't feel the same

I've been friends with him for about 6 months and my feelings have just intensified progressively.

He hasn't been in a relationship for a long time and never talks about liking anyone which maybe he doesn't as he is so focussed on his studies. He tells me all the time how much he believes in me and wants to see me happy yet doesn't seem that comfortable when I greet him with a hug (which I do with any of my friends) and takes a long time to reply to messages even though I understand he is incredibly busy I can't help feeling if there was something more he would reply much sooner.

I have exams coming up soon and things are already stressful as I have had a number of extenuating circumstances over the year, he's playing on my mind yet I feel massively hurt when he hasn't done anything wrong directly. He's such a kind and decent person but the fact I have feelings for him (which he admittedly doesn't know about) I feel indirectly rejected and I'm now finding myself no longer able to be as open and honest when he asks me how I am because I'm hurting but not in a way I can explain to him.

Not sure what I'm really asking for but any advice would be appreciated as I've actually never had feelings for another person before as weird as that is.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've been friends with him for about 6 months and my feelings have just intensified progressively.

He hasn't been in a relationship for a long time and never talks about liking anyone which maybe he doesn't as he is so focussed on his studies. He tells me all the time how much he believes in me and wants to see me happy yet doesn't seem that comfortable when I greet him with a hug (which I do with any of my friends) and takes a long time to reply to messages even though I understand he is incredibly busy I can't help feeling if there was something more he would reply much sooner.

I have exams coming up soon and things are already stressful as I have had a number of extenuating circumstances over the year, he's playing on my mind yet I feel massively hurt when he hasn't done anything wrong directly. He's such a kind and decent person but the fact I have feelings for him (which he admittedly doesn't know about) I feel indirectly rejected and I'm now finding myself no longer able to be as open and honest when he asks me how I am because I'm hurting but not in a way I can explain to him.

Not sure what I'm really asking for but any advice would be appreciated as I've actually never had feelings for another person before as weird as that is.

I think you should tell him you have feelings for him. It's quite cute tbh. Some guys just are awkward with hugs.
Reply 2
Original post by bammy jastard 27
I think you should tell him you have feelings for him. It's quite cute tbh. Some guys just are awkward with hugs.

Well she needs to flirt with him and see how he reacts to that. I wouldn't go telling him as it could make things awkward and she needs to see whether he may feel the same.
Original post by chikane
Well she needs to flirt with him and see how he reacts to that. I wouldn't go telling him as it could make things awkward and she needs to see whether he may feel the same.

And if he doesnt notice that. some guys (im one of them) are incredibly dense.

OP just say it. IOf you dont, then you will regret it.

Better to have tried and lost than to have not tried at all
Reply 4
Flirt with him or just tell him about how you feel, you don't want to regret missing your chance.

I wish for all the very best!
Reply 5
Original post by bammy jastard 27

It feels like he's become more awkward recently about hugging me.

Original post by chikane

I can't flirt to save my life :frown:

Original post by silverbolt
And if he doesnt notice that. some guys (im one of them) are incredibly dense.

OP just say it. IOf you dont, then you will regret it.

Better to have tried and lost than to have not tried at all

I just don't feel good enough for him and I don't think he feels the same at all. He knows about all my flaws because I tell him.
Reply 6
I think you are right the signs suggest he is not up for a romantic relationship. The situation is a tough one. From my hard experience I would recommend just parking it as friends and distance yourself during exam time to reduce the distraction. The other option is to ask him out so you find out for sure where you stand, but you then need to be able to move on if it doesn't work out. I wasted a lot of time on unrequited love. It's a fact of life that you come across people you fancy the pants off and it doesn't always work out. And in these circumstances it's far better to put the energy in to find someone who is enthusiastic. Good luck :smile:
It feels like he's become more awkward recently about hugging me.

I can't flirt to save my life :frown:

I just don't feel good enough for him and I don't think he feels the same at all. He knows about all my flaws because I tell him.

Let me set you on something straight now. You ARE good enough for him. You are your own person with strengths and things to bring to a relationship. Of course you have flaws, your only human.

Stop thinking you are beneath people. Go for it. Yeah he may say no, but he may also say yes
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Let me set you on something straight now. You ARE good enough for him. You are your own person with strengths and things to bring to a relationship. Of course you have flaws, your only human.

Stop thinking you are beneath people. Go for it. Yeah he may say no, but he may also say yes

I feel like this because he's really into sport and stuff whereas I'm so unattractive and quite frankly, needy.

Original post by Zarek
I think you are right the signs suggest he is not up for a romantic relationship. The situation is a tough one. From my hard experience I would recommend just parking it as friends and distance yourself during exam time to reduce the distraction. The other option is to ask him out so you find out for sure where you stand, but you then need to be able to move on if it doesn't work out. I wasted a lot of time on unrequited love. It's a fact of life that you come across people you fancy the pants off and it doesn't always work out. And in these circumstances it's far better to put the energy in to find someone who is enthusiastic. Good luck :smile:

Yeah when someone asked if we were together he smirked and said how typical it was that people think people of the opposite sex can't be friends. I agree I need to distance myself but because of the way he is if I never talked to him again he is so crazy busy he probably wouldn't even notice. :frown: I'm cross because on one he telling me how happy seeing me be happy etc yet ironically without him actually doing anything wrong he is making me so unhappy.
I feel like this because he's really into sport and stuff whereas I'm so unattractive and quite frankly, needy.

ok needy is not attractive, but just because hes into sport doesnt mean hes not into you.

Either ask him or dont. The choice is yours but if you dont then you will never know. You can find a million excuses NOT to ask someone out.
My view is that if you are 'needy' then it would be better to work on that issue in your own life before contemplating a relationship with him.

You could consider the initiatives that others have suggested in this thread, but you'd better work out how much risk you can cope with. Some people will happily flirt or ask someone out and it's no skin off their nose if they get blanked; others brood on it for ages and never get over the 'humiliation'.

If you keep thinking about him trying planning to avoid or reduce contact with him.
You should wait till after your exams. he isnt goinbg anywhere and any answer seems to be something you wont deal with very well.

Its a balance between you should try and take a chance v changing the relationship if you are rejected.
Imo he will say no at the moment and he isnt going to be stoked about having this distraction before his exams.
Original post by Davide_online
My view is that if you are 'needy' then it would be better to work on that issue in your own life before contemplating a relationship with him.

You could consider the initiatives that others have suggested in this thread, but you'd better work out how much risk you can cope with. Some people will happily flirt or ask someone out and it's no skin off their nose if they get blanked; others brood on it for ages and never get over the 'humiliation'.

If you keep thinking about him trying planning to avoid or reduce contact with him.

its complicated because I lost my parents not so long ago so I've become very insecure as a result so I view myself as needy.

I think you're right in that it would really hurt me if he didn't feel the same way.

Original post by 999tigger
You should wait till after your exams. he isnt goinbg anywhere and any answer seems to be something you wont deal with very well.

Its a balance between you should try and take a chance v changing the relationship if you are rejected.
Imo he will say no at the moment and he isnt going to be stoked about having this distraction before his exams.

He's leaving next year ;/ he has a huge amount going on with his studies and other responsibilities and I try to respect that but its hard to ignore how you feel. :frown: I only really see him once a week and give him space.

I fully expect he doesn't feel the same, I can't see myself being someone who he would want to be with to be honest. His exes have all been pretty and athletic.

He's leaving next year ;/ he has a huge amount going on with his studies and other responsibilities and I try to respect that but its hard to ignore how you feel. :frown: I only really see him once a week and give him space.

I fully expect he doesn't feel the same, I can't see myself being someone who he would want to be with to be honest. His exes have all been pretty and athletic.

Do your exams amd see what its like after. He chooses to spend time with you and you cna always remain in touch. You dont know how things might change. Sorry you lost your parents, that must be very hard to deal with.

Perhaps having a good friend is going to be better than having no friend v a temp boyfriend?
If he lacks confidence, being flirty won't have any effect as he wont notice, I'd honestly just tell him over text and if he feels the same way he'll reply soon enough, make sure it's during a conversation though. I think it would be good to get the discomfort of not knowing off your shoulders.

I agree with this! Yeah, rejection hurts, but you'll never know if he has the same feelings for you if you never try. He could have feelings for you and be too shy or scared to admit them to you. But he also couldn't and then you need to believe in yourself and your worth and just accept a friendship with the guy, and carry on with the belief that the right guy for you will come along (and accept everything about you). I say tell the guy, ask him out, there's nothing to lose, but there could be something to gain. Good luck, I wish you all the best X
Original post by 999tigger
Do your exams amd see what its like after. He chooses to spend time with you and you cna always remain in touch. You dont know how things might change. Sorry you lost your parents, that must be very hard to deal with.

Perhaps having a good friend is going to be better than having no friend v a temp boyfriend?

Yeah I see your point.Believe it or not, I don't actually want to have feelings for him. I finally told one of our mutual friends who knows us both individually and she was like I can see why you like him because he is cute but its actually his personally I'm attracted to. Its not that he is unattractive because he isn't its just that I'm not physically attracted to him as such but he is definitely someone I click with.

Original post by Lord Kitchener
If he lacks confidence, being flirty won't have any effect as he wont notice, I'd honestly just tell him over text and if he feels the same way he'll reply soon enough, make sure it's during a conversation though. I think it would be good to get the discomfort of not knowing off your shoulders.

He doesn't lack confidence as such in that he is good at faking it but he says that he is deep down just like me in terms of having low confidence. I just don't really know that if I did tell him how I would tell him in the most gentle non threatening way?

Original post by southafrica1102
I agree with this! Yeah, rejection hurts, but you'll never know if he has the same feelings for you if you never try. He could have feelings for you and be too shy or scared to admit them to you. But he also couldn't and then you need to believe in yourself and your worth and just accept a friendship with the guy, and carry on with the belief that the right guy for you will come along (and accept everything about you). I say tell the guy, ask him out, there's nothing to lose, but there could be something to gain. Good luck, I wish you all the best X

Thanks so much, I'm just finding it very difficult because he is the first guy I've had feelings for so to get rejected would probably be very hard to tolerate and particularly as I'm afraid to lose him from my life, as he is someone I very much want to have in my life because he is kind, compassionate, funny and intelligent.
Dont forget becayse of the emotional turmoil you will be extra vulnerable and not yourself. Just focus on your exams and when some of the stress has gone then you might have a better handle on things.
i don't know what you should do either, but i will say one thing.. whatever it is that you have decided/will decide to do, i say at least wait until you finish your exams because if he doesn't want to be with you for some reason, you won't feel great so then in turn won't do well in your exams :smile:

(i know this by experience as i asked this guy i liked out in february before my a2 exams (he said no) and guess what? i failed all of my exams so don't try it... i wouldn't like to see someone else in the same situation)
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks so much, I'm just finding it very difficult because he is the first guy I've had feelings for so to get rejected would probably be very hard to tolerate and particularly as I'm afraid to lose him from my life, as he is someone I very much want to have in my life because he is kind, compassionate, funny and intelligent.

Yeah, I get that it's easier said than done, especially if this is the first guy you have proper feelings for. If the friendship means so much to you, it probably means just as much to him and the confession, if one sided, I don't think will ruin the friendship that the two of you have. But, if you are scared that admitting your feelings to him will drive him away, then it may be best to rather hint at him that you feel something for him rather than to go straight into a full on confession. X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending