The Student Room Group

[POLL] Should waterboarding be legal in interrogation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Multiculturalism
Everyone knows what terrorism is

The government uses water boarding to instill terror in minorities, so that they know that if they make too much of a fuss, they're going to Guantanamo and spending years being tortured. Thus minorities are silenced.

You know, I used to think it was nice that someone liked multiculturalism enough to set up a TSR account to support it. Now I'm beginning to suspect that you're actually heavily against immigration and other cultures, and have set up the account just to post thinly veiled garbage and make the rest of us lefties look bad. It doesn't help your case that I hardly ever find people using the word "multiculturalism" who aren't saying that it's failed and blaming all our woes on it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You know, I used to think it was nice that someone liked multiculturalism enough to set up a TSR account to support it. Now I'm beginning to suspect that you're actually heavily against immigration and other cultures, and have set up the account just to post thinly veiled garbage and make the rest of us lefties look bad. It doesn't help your case that I hardly ever find people using the word "multiculturalism" who aren't saying that it's failed and blaming all our woes on it.

Everyone in this subforum think I'm a troll, I assure you I am not

I believe the reason is that everyone here is so far right, that any opinion left of centre seems so extreme that "it must be a troll"

Are you going to discuss my points, or just content with dismissing me as a troll?
Original post by Multiculturalism
Everyone in this subforum think I'm a troll, I assure you I am not

I believe the reason is that everyone here is so far right, that any opinion left of centre seems so extreme that "it must be a troll"

Are you going to discuss my points, or just content with dismissing me as a troll?

Nah, I'm content, thanks. I agree that there are a ton of far right folks around here - or maybe they're just the most vocal.
Original post by JordanL_
You'd probably change your tune if you were the one person having a "bad time".

well i'm not a terrorist so i won't be having a bad time
Original post by champ_mc99
Fair point. Aren't there any more humane methods though to extract info?

most others are quicker but more brutal and will leave permanent marks like removing teeth and breaking bones

Spoiler

Reply 25
Original post by jamesthehustler
most others are quicker but more brutal and will leave permanent marks like removing teeth and breaking bones

Spoiler

Are you Ross Kemp in disguise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf0e3sT_Jeg
Reply 26

Spoiler

Not trying to be rude or patronizing but can you watch the first video and tell me if you changed your mind? :smile:
Not trying to be rude or patronizing but can you watch the first video and tell me if you changed your mind? :smile:

nope i'm adamant with my views on this one
Reply 28
nope i'm adamant with my views on this one

So you watched it?
Original post by Tyreke
Are you Ross Kemp in disguise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf0e3sT_Jeg

no no but my family are rather mitchell-y
well i'm not a terrorist so i won't be having a bad time

The people being waterboarded aren't necessarily terrorists either.
So you watched it?

yeah it was tame wait until you have here some of the stuff i have heard about from the two-bit gangsters and my crooked relatives
Original post by JordanL_
The people being waterboarded aren't necessarily terrorists either.

normally suspected of being terrorists at least then
Reply 33
Original post by Drewski
No, torture doesn't work. You get the information the individual thinks you want to hear, not the truth.

thats not true,

it does work, it has worked.
Reply 34
Original post by Metrododo
The problem with waterboarding, the death penalty or extreme penal measures is that there's always the risk of having the wrong guy - case in point at Guantanamo Bay, where more than a few were wrongly tortured

i would say that this is a problem of any punishment. Every jail sentence is permanent.

Example, you jail someone for 10 years later you find out theyre innocent, that 10 years can not be given back,the time with your children growing up can not be replaced, your relationship with friends, family partner are affected, partner could have divorced and remarried, parentts could have died believing/ last memory behind bars .
(edited 7 years ago)
No.
It doesn't work. Despite it's widespread use the US have never prevented an attack using evidence obtained by torture.

Not to mention the fact that you risk torturing people who are innocent.
yes so what if one person has a bad time by being waterboarded would you want another 9/11 or 7/7 type attack if it prevent terrorism then it's all good

That's a fallacy though. There has never been an example of a terrorist attack prevented by information obtained through torture.
None.
Original post by Wee.Guy
thats not true,

it does work, it has worked.

When? Name one example.
No one deserves to be tortured
No. It's torture and it isn't guaranteed to work. People will say anything to make the torture stop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending