The Student Room Group

Slang words that make you cringe...

Scroll to see replies

Why are you linking me to the dictionary? I answered this earlier. They're used in different contexts. I don't think the word is stupid when used in the right fashion. And there's nothing 'wrong' with it per-se, this thread asked what words make you cringe and those ones do. I don't have to like it and if I don't like them, it doesn't mean they are 'wrong' and if you like them, it doesn't mean they are 'right'.
When posh girls I know force the word 'bare' into their convos IDK why but thats the word they all use and it just sounds so awkward and try hard,
Original post by ivybridge
Why are you linking me to the dictionary? I answered this earlier. They're used in different contexts. I don't think the word is stupid when used in the right fashion. And there's nothing 'wrong' with it per-se, this thread asked what words make you cringe and those ones do. I don't have to like it and if I don't like them, it doesn't mean they are 'wrong' and if you like them, it doesn't mean they are 'right'.

Calm down, I was only asking.
Original post by aarora
For me it has to be 'Alie' - yes people STILL say it.

u spell it "ahlie"
Original post by ivybridge

This made me cringe
Peak
Piff.
"Hella" "lit" "bae"

And although this is not strictly slang I have been noticing its usage more and more: "low key" just stop ****ing saying low key about every thing. Why is everything low key? Why is an obviously attractive person low key cute? Why is something that's reasonably funny making you low key laugh? Arrrrrrgh!
Lol at the richer counterparts of TSR hating on the roadman language...

'Fam', 'safe' and 'banter' is pretty much ingrained in my informal talk, it's how I talk to my friends.

I promise I won't talk that way when I meet anyone from the middle classes and upwards though, if that offends them so much :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Allow it
Haters

These are ridiculous.
pree
cut
clock
mullah
mandem
gyaldem

and others that i cant remember now
"Oi my size"
Currently, nu' in is more irra tate in than irritating pronounced as "irra".
Mandem, innit, fleek....
Original post by 0to100
What's wrong with innit? Just about everyone says that...

I think she means "izit"

I say innit all the time.
Just Brits copying Americanisms or American slang makes me wanna punch them. Why would you copy those bellends???
Original post by Wilfred Little
Allow it
Haters

These are ridiculous.

Ugh "haters"... Every time I hear someone say it I think, if you weren't such a bellend then you wouldn't have so many people hating you that you have to give them a collective name. Can't stand it when rappers rap about haters, the rappers from previous eras didn't have to rap about haters because they weren't hated on, it's hard to have people hating you when you're undeniably good.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Just Brits copying Americanisms or American slang makes me wanna punch them. Why would you copy those bellends???

:biggrin:

Do the math. Ass. Could care less. Can I get a...? My bad :cool:

Probably loads more.

Original post by WoodyMKC
Ugh "haters"... Every time I hear someone say it I think, if you weren't such a bellend then you wouldn't have so many people hating you that you have to give them a collective name. Can't stand it when rappers rap about haters, the rappers from previous eras didn't have to rap about haters because they weren't hated on, it's hard to have people hating you when you're undeniably good.

I can kind of understand very successful rappers doing it, but not 20 something nobodies on social networking sites.
When I hear any Roadman slang I think of this.
Cringe? Nah none of them make me cringe.. It's more like this, I get a feeling that it's my duty to walk over to whoever used a slang word and tell them I hope they get molested. Then I would walk off.. That is how I feel about slang.. I know that wasn't funny.. It wasn't meant to be... I hate people who choose to use words such as 'fam', 'mandems' and other words like that.. I'd hate to sound evil but I wouldn't mind hitting them with a car :smile:...

I know... I know.. There's something wrong with me.

Quick Reply

Latest