The Student Room Group

is it okay for a boy to use self defence during a conflict with a girl?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSR Mustafa
Pretty sure it is , if you're being attacked you need to use force to subdue the attacker , or would you just crouch and take it.

There is a distinction between self-defence and retaliation.

You're allowed to use force to protect yourself, but not because they did it first and you want to get back at them. If they're not going to hit you again, you can't hit them just because they did it to you.

I'm not just spouting BS btw; this is the law.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Then that would be self defence, not retaliation. There's a difference between being attacked, and a one of hit.

If someone hit you and showed no intention of repeating that action, hitting back would be retaliation, not self defence. You can't defend a past action.

I can't be sure they won't hit me again , not taking a risk.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
There is a distinction between self-defence and retaliation.

You're allowed to use force to protect yourself, but not because they did it first and you want to get back at them. If they're not going to hit you again, you can't hit them just because they did it to you.

I'm not just spouting BS btw; this is the law.

Yeah i understand.
Then that would be self defence, not retaliation. There's a difference between being attacked, and a one of hit.

If someone hit you and showed no intention of repeating that action, hitting back would be retaliation, not self defence. You can't defend a past action.

Would people be thinking about courts of law at that point? They'd be thinking about their honour and dignity and revenge and justice. If someone hit you, you can't really call it wrong to hit them back.
Reply 24
1. No you wouldn't, You'd run straight home and cry on TSR. :cry:

2. If you think that brutal murder in response to being spat on is "your right" then you either need to with haste rent "British law for dummies from your local library" or get yourself sectioned, grandiose delusions are not a good sign.

Why are you upset? You think it's serious?
The kind of video you saw is a rare occurrence.

If you have to defend yourself, you have to defend yourself. If you have to defend yourself from a woman, child, etc then that's just sad really but people do get out of control on rare occasion.

"There's a difference between being attacked, and a one of hit."

Not really. An attack starts with one hit and all attacks vary. I believe in the video the thread started is talking about it is justified. There is another video of a "possessed" woman where the follow up attack might not be justified. Timing is really complex. Someone can attack and hit as many times as they can as quickly as they can or it can be on and off across intervals. Once someone has hit you once, they are dangerous, have crossed that line and depending on the circumstances, you may actually have the right to subdue them after, for example if they are likely to be a threat to others or yourself again. There is no such thing as a "on off hit" in this respect.

Normally in those situations however adrenaline kicks in as well as time constraints and all hell breaks out. You don't have time to calculate every move precisely.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Multitalented me
Yes, (using reasonable force).

What do you define as reasonable??
I am of the unpopular opinion that if a woman can throw a punch, she can take one.
Sick of the double standards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hxylxy
Just enough force so that she's not a threat basically.
Original post by EricPiphany
Would people be thinking about courts of law at that point? They'd be thinking about their honour and dignity and revenge and justice. If someone hit you, you can't really call it wrong to hit them back.

Yeah but the point is, that has absolutely nothing to do with self defence. Like you say, the only thing you are defending is your honour.

It annoys me when people use the "self defensive" excuse, just use the reasons you provided. They are honest reasons, "self defense" is rubbish.
Original post by Omen96
Why are you upset? You think it's serious?

Oh shut up.
Reply 31
Oh shut up.

You need to calm down :smile:

I didn't mean the comment to make you crazy lol
Original post by Omen96
You need to calm down :smile:

I didn't mean the comment to make you crazy lol

loooool. you havn't been on TSR long have you?

with that comment, i'd say: welcome to TSR.

(p.s: there're some crazies on here :P)

as for the thread, then hell yes. i'd say hitting back is perfectly justified; as one can't tell if the attack that had been done on their person is a 'one-off' or a 'continuous' one; therefore at that moment in time, immediately after the first hit; that person should feel that the attacker is a threat to their person and to those around/with them. their attacker should therefore be subdued with the utmost ability and prejudiced. it's the exact same thing with emotional violence in a relationship; you can't tell if the hits are going to carry on or not; but regardless, staying in that vicinity would cause you harm. look at the situations surrounding the 'one-off' hit; those girls were clearly pissed and seeing as they actually had the gall to follow him around the train/bus; damaging his name in public, insulting him; mocking him; belittling him; then i'd say that the hit was just the start. i'd say that that is the type of attack that is like an avalanche; deadlier with each passing second.

after all; it's akin to a fire-fight; when you run out of clips in firing at your opponent; during that space you take to reload your gun, your opponent wouldn't know what you were planning to do next; but for all intents and purposes, you could be holding a grenade - as you'd want the fight to be won/your opponent to feel as much pain as quick as possible.
Original post by theDanIdentity
loooool. you havn't been on TSR long have you?

with that comment, i'd say: welcome to TSR.

(p.s: there're some crazies on here :P)

as for the thread, then hell yes. i'd say hitting back is perfectly justified; as one can't tell if the attack that had been done on their person is a 'one-off' or a 'continuous' one; therefore at that moment in time, immediately after the first hit; that person should feel that the attacker is a threat to their person and to those around/with them. their attacker should therefore be subdued with the utmost ability and prejudiced. it's the exact same thing with emotional violence in a relationship; you can't tell if the hits are going to carry on or not; but regardless, staying in that vicinity would cause you harm. look at the situations surrounding the 'one-off' hit; those girls were clearly pissed and seeing as they actually had the gall to follow him around the train/bus; damaging his name in public, insulting him; mocking him; belittling him; then i'd say that the hit was just the start. i'd say that that is the type of attack that is like an avalanche; deadlier with each passing second.

after all; it's akin to a fire-fight; when you run out of clips in firing at your opponent; during that space you take to reload your gun, your opponent wouldn't know what you were planning to do next; but for all intents and purposes, you could be holding a grenade - as you'd want the fight to be won/your opponent to feel as much pain as quick as possible.

edit: nvm ignore
(edited 7 years ago)
Hitting back makes things worse. In this situation:

1. Threaten to call police.
2. If they continue... call police.

Enjoy the rest of your life. :h:
If someone hits you you can hit back.

Those girls were in the wrong.

But regardless, and I answer in complete honesty, there is something deeply uncomfortable about seeing a man slap or punch a girl, even if it is in self defence. I suppose it's just how we are conditioned to think, that and a man is more physically stronger in most cases so can do more damage.

The right thing to do is try to walk away, that applies to both men and women. If that becomes impossible then yes I suppose fighting back is the only other option left.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

But regardless, and I answer in complete honesty, there is something deeply uncomfortable about seeing a man slap or punch a girl, even if it is in self defence.

That's called female privilege
Original post by Zargabaath
That's called female privilege

No it's just the fact that violence is disturbing and stronger you are the more damage you can cause someone therefore it's incredibly disturbing to watch.
Original post by hxylxy

Hitting her until she stops moving. Well, maybe not moving, but hitting back at least.
Can you post the video please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending