The Student Room Group

Is the Labour left full of misogynists as well as anti semites?

The Labour Party has famously had some issues recently with anti semitism leading (so it is alleged) to a collapse in the the Labour vote amongst Jews.

But is it starting to have a problem with women too?

We all know that it supports Islamism uncritically, encourages gender segregated meetings, and is a willing accomplice to sexist attitudes towards women exhibited by more conservative Muslim men.

So not exactly fighting on the barricades for the sisterhood.

But has a new front been opened by sexist and misogynistic individuals within the party? An attack on the BBC's Political Editor because she is a woman??

This could prove embarrassing!

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2016/05/why-do-people-hate-laura-kuenssberg-so-much
This whole time I thought you were very supportive of Jeremy Corbyn with that username :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Serine Soul
This whole time I thought you were very supportive of Jeremy Corbyn with that username :smile:

Me too
:biggrin:
Labour is full of misogynists because some idiots don't know how to behave on the internet? I don't follow how this is supposed to be evidence that there's some kind of major issue with misogyny in Labour.
Nah
Original post by Plagioclase
Labour is full of misogynists because some idiots don't know how to behave on the internet? I don't follow how this is supposed to be evidence that there's some kind of major issue with misogyny in Labour.

Isn't it amazing that the Tories were gender blind and nonsexist enough to elect a female leader 40 yrs ago, yet Labour, despite being riven with feminists from top to bottom and having several changes of leader over the years and plenty of qualified experienced female candidates standing , have never been gender blind enough to elect a woman to lead them. They would even rather have an unelectable Dave Spart than a woman.
If they believe in all women candidate lists as they claimits the only way to change things, isn't it strange that they didn't have an all woman leadership contest?
Original post by caravaggio2
Isn't it amazing that the Tories were gender blind and nonsexist enough to elect a female leader 40 yrs ago, yet Labour, despite being riven with feminists from top to bottom and having several changes of leader over the years and plenty of qualified experienced female candidates standing , have never been gender blind enough to elect a woman to lead them. They would even rather have an unelectable Dave Spart than a woman.
If they believe in all women candidate lists as they claimits the only way to change things, isn't it strange that they didn't have an all woman leadership contest?

I have no idea why you think this is sexism, as if gender is the only difference between the successful candidates and the others. I couldn't care less if Corbyn is a man or a woman, I support him because I agree with his policies (over Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall).
So you are saying that in 40 yrs Labour have never had a woman with good enough policies to lead them? That's a sad reflection on candidates.
Original post by caravaggio2
So you are saying that in 40 yrs Labour have never had a woman with good enough policies to lead them? That's a sad reflection on candidates.

lol your logic is laughable.

Do continue.
At least some of the Labour anti-semite hysteria has been completely unfounded with gross exaggerations.

Many in Labour have redefined being anti-semitite as saying absolutely anything not favourable to Jewish people or Israel. They are losing a lot of credibility on this front.

Apart from some crude twitter comments from the odd young and fringe Labour member the only thing I've seen relating to sexism and racism from Labour are Jess Phillips sexist attitude problems and Khan's flawed racial equality beliefs that only end up equating to racism itself. However I don't particularly follow Labour.
Original post by lolatmaths
lol your logic is laughable.

Do continue.

So they aren't sexist and it also isn't a sad reflection that they have had no good female candidates. So how do we explain the lack of good female candidates other than sexism. I suppose there is that the women are just objectively worse and they are only in a position where they could be elected because of sexist policies leading to women being selected rather than better men

Perhaps the more interesting side is that labour claim go be pro women for having all women short lists in half of "winnable" seats, but you can clearly tell from the results that there is still a male bias in where the women seats are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
So they aren't sexist and it also isn't a sad reflection that they have had no good female candidates. So how do we explain the lack of good female candidates other than sexism. I suppose there is that the women are just objectively worse and they are only in a position where they could be elected because of sexist policies leading to women being selected rather than better men

Perhaps the more interesting side is that labour claim go be pro women for having all women short lists in half of "winnable" seats, but you can clearly tell from the results that there is still a male bias in where the women seats are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

'Candidates' what are you referring to?

I'd rather have someone of higher caliber and intelligence, not positively discriminating women.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending