The Student Room Group

Can an employer refuse to hire me because I'm a school pupil

Okay so I'm 17 and live in Scotland. The local sainsburys store have a policy that means they don't hire school pupils, even those over 16.

But...

They will hire college students who are 16+

I'm not sure whether companies can actually refuse to hire a school pupil based solely on the fact they are in school. I understand if the shifts on offers are unsuitable with the school timetable but often Saturday hours are advertised and still I can't apply because I'm a school pupil.

If I'm over 16 then surely I have as much right as the college students to be considered
They dont hire school pupils but do hire college students. Arent they the same thing?
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
They dont hire school pupils but do hire college students. Arent they the same thing?

Essentially yes, just doing different qualifications. Those studying highers and advanced highers are in school whereas those doing SVQs like childcare and joinery etc go to the college.
Original post by Pinkisunoriginal

Yes, they can. They can't discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, age, faith, marital status, race etc - legally defined 'protected characteristics'. They aren't discriminating on age, but schooling, and that's legal.
Original post by Pinkisunoriginal
Okay so I'm 17 and live in Scotland. The local sainsburys store have a policy that means they don't hire school pupils, even those over 16.

But...

They will hire college students who are 16+

I'm not sure whether companies can actually refuse to hire a school pupil based solely on the fact they are in school. I understand if the shifts on offers are unsuitable with the school timetable but often Saturday hours are advertised and still I can't apply because I'm a school pupil.

If I'm over 16 then surely I have as much right as the college students to be considered

Yes they can, if they want someone who will be able to cover shifts while you're at school they won't take you. However, if they only need someone to do weekend shifts you should still be in with a shot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending