The Student Room Group

OCR A level maths

I have the casio fx991es plus calculator. Some people are saying it cant be used for my maths C2 and S1 as it can integrate. But it integrates numerically so surely its allowed? People say that no integrating calculator is not allowed. Please can someone tell me if its actually allowed or not cuz im confused. Thanks
Reply 1
It is allowed. What is not allowed is a symbolic integrator. In any case, you should double check with your exams officer and refer to the OCR web site.
Reply 2
Original post by julesaquilina
I have the casio fx991es plus calculator. Some people are saying it cant be used for my maths C2 and S1 as it can integrate. But it integrates numerically so surely its allowed? People say that no integrating calculator is not allowed. Please can someone tell me if its actually allowed or not cuz im confused. Thanks

It is allowed. Don't pay attention to the rumours.
Original post by nerak99
It is allowed. What is not allowed is a symbolic integrator. In any case, you should double check with your exams officer and refer to the OCR web site.

Where would it be on the website do you know?
Reply 4
Original post by julesaquilina
Where would it be on the website do you know?

The general rule is here on the JCQ site in a pdf. Page 20 we have this (my bold)

JF ICE DOCUMENT 1999 Calculators must not:

be designed or adapted to offer any of thesefacilities: -

language translators;o symbolic algebra manipulation;

symbolic differentiation or integration;o communication with other machines or the internet;

be borrowed from another candidate during an examination for any reason;*

have retrievable information stored in them -this includes: o databanks;o dictionaries;o mathematical formulas;o text.

It is not really possible for the boards to give a list of allowed calculator because of the number of models around, however the OCR document here address the numerical integration issue on page 1.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest