The Student Room Group

Why do women get more university places?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36266753

It's simple really, there's a gender gap that has been overlooked.

Hopefully Feminists will make a scene about this since Feminism is there to help both sexes.

Scroll to see replies

If my own school experience was anything to go by, it was the masculine culture particularly among the working class lads which had contempt for education. That traditional masculinity can have a toxic effect on men is something feminists have been banging on about for years.
Original post by Erebor
Several reasons :

- education is extremely feminized these days and it's easier for girls to do better : sit quietly in class, coursework, regurgitate whatever you are taught, don't question authority, don't be original etc... women are far more ''malleable'' than men and easier to control as a mass
- there are many women only scholarships, programs, official or unofficial quotas
- women make up the vast majority of piss easy/no prospect degrees : psychology, sociology, english, anything with ''studies'' (except a few hard and lucrative ones like japanese)...
- women, unlike men, go to ''uni'' to follow their ''passion'' or for the social life
- women don't need to worry about finding a good paying job (that usually comes after a decent degree) since they can find a man to pay for their existence, the welfare state is very generous to them, family and friends are far more likely to help them and let them get away with not achieving anything
- women don't need to worry about paying back their loans since most will never earn the minimum required to do so anyway (work part time, dead end jobs, stay at home)

Do you want to try to come up with any more offensive and ignorant generalisations or is that enough for you?
Reply 3
Original post by Plagioclase
Do you want to try to come up with any more offensive and ignorant generalisations or is that enough for you?

Do you want to add to the discussion, or is being dismissive good enough for you?
In my personal experience at school and college, men either tend to do a lot of hard graft and work and get incredibly good grades or they do the complete opposite and do nothing and mess around and get rubbish grades. This is only my own personal experience at school and college, and I've found that women across the board tend to be more consistent when it comes to working, so they tend to get more consistent grades and I assume this is why they tend to get more admissions to uni- That and the fact that the higher requirement courses at uni they dont tend to go for.

This may just be my school and college however

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dodgypirate
Do you want to add to the discussion, or is being dismissive good enough for you?

Well he wasn't wrong with what he said, you did make a lot of very sweeping generalisations there which were a little offensive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by KatieAlicexxx
In my personal experience at school and college, men either tend to do a lot of hard graft and work and get incredibly good grades or they do the complete opposite and do nothing and mess around and get rubbish grades. This is only my own personal experience at school and college, and I've found that women across the board tend to be more consistent when it comes to working, so they tend to get more consistent grades and I assume this is why they tend to get more admissions to uni- That and the fact that the higher requirement courses at uni they dont tend to go for.

This may just be my school and college however

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally don't think it's down to guys "pissing" about or not, it's to do with the teaching. Men study better in different environments than women.

It was a very salient criticism.
Reply 8
Well he wasn't wrong with what he said, you did make a lot of very sweeping generalisations there which were a little offensive

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not Erebor.

He made some valid points.
I personally don't think it's down to guys "pissing" about or not, it's to do with the teaching. Men study better in different environments than women.

I didn't mean it like that. Like I said, many men work very very hard however in my schools and colleges, there were also a lot of guys who did no work and didn't want to to work. Women just tend to work in a way that is in between those two; not so hard as some guys, but a lot harder than others. Again, maybe just my college, just what I've noticed however

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Plagioclase

Actually I edited in one that I forgot and it's a pretty big one:

''last, but not least, women make up the vast majority of average IQ's (which is all you need to go to uni these days in the very popular female degrees I mentioned above) while far more men are either on the very high end or the very low end of the spectrum (so that also removes a chuck from the male population)''
http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2016/feb/22/why-do-white-working-class-boys-shun-university is a very good look at some of the reasons that impact on this.

HEPI have done what they always do - crunch raw data and jump to conclusions about the solutions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36266753

It's simple really, there's a gender gap that has been overlooked.

Hopefully Feminists will make a scene about this since Feminism is there to help both sexes.

Why do you think boys don't want to be nurses or teachers?
Reply 12
I didn't mean it like that. Like I said, many men work very very hard however in my schools and colleges, there were also a lot of guys who did no work and didn't want to to work. Women just tend to work in a way that is in between those two; not so hard as some guys, but a lot harder than others. Again, maybe just my college, just what I've noticed however

Posted from TSR Mobile

I made the generalizations, not OP. Of course they don't cover every single person but the vast majority of them, that's what generalizations are. Almost every decision we make is based on generalizations, whether it's related to our daily life or it's a major one.

Also, I think you are confusing working hard (although that's also a must) with the IQ bell curve that has men overly-represented at both high and low ends while women cluster somewhere in the middle. I edited that into my post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"The report includes OECD data, gathered alongside international Pisa tests, that shows on average that boys are less likely to work hard at school, less likely to read for pleasure and more likely to be negative towards school and to dodge their homework. "

It seems like it isn't just your college :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by PQ

Why do you think boys don't want to be nurses or teachers?

A combination of human sexual dimorphism and social factors since women don't exactly flock to men in low paid, low status occupations. But since hypergamy in its various forms (the female of the species being super-picky compared to the male) is natural is just about any evolved species the social factors are also based in biology. So yea, biology, pretty much.
Why did you say "women get more places". I think a more accurate phrasing is "more women apply for places".

You will see that despite the fact that more women apply to university, more males apply for the degrees with higher earning potential.

This is partly because males who are less academic, but still bright tend to choose apprenticeships such as mechanical engineering. This is a very male dominated field. Whereas women have no such apprenticeship fields. Unless you consider hair dressing, support work, teaching assistancy. Which all have very low earning potential compared to the apprenticeships that males have better access to. And can be quite dead end.

Therefore more women who aren't the most academic, but still quite bright or average, tend to choose to go to university. Because they're options are far more limited.
Original post by Erebor
A combination of human sexual dimorphism and social factors since women don't exactly flock to men in low paid, low status occupations. But since hypergamy in its various forms (the female of the species being super-picky compared to the male) is natural is just about any evolved species the social factors are also based in biology. So yea, biology, pretty much.

For **** sake.

It's not "biology" is psychology. Which you clearly know nothing about it. People stop reducing human behaviour to "biology". It's is far more complex than that. We aren't creatures of instinct.
Reply 18
Original post by PQ
"The report includes OECD data, gathered alongside international Pisa tests, that shows on average that boys are less likely to work hard at school, less likely to read for pleasure and more likely to be negative towards school and to dodge their homework. "

It seems like it isn't just your college :smile:

Boys are different to girls. They are more physical, they love challenge, competition, they question, they take things apart, they fight for the top spot .... you won't get the best out of them by treating them as girls.

I would bring back far more physical activity in schools, far more competitive sports (none of that everyone gets a medal for showing up ********), comic books could be used for reading, everything and anything that encourages competition/originality/individuality and discourages mediocrity or just cruising through school as part of a brainwashed, regurgitating mass of zombies.

Good article on this (talks about brain, hormones, the different stages of their development) :

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/how-boys-and-girls-learn-differently

Shortly after my son started his first year of elementary school, I asked him to name his favorite subject. "Basketball," he answered without skipping a beat. "Everything else is boring."

Parents should actually take these words as a clue about how their child learns. "What they are saying," Gurian says, "is, 'If you want me to learn well, you have to understand how my brain and body work when I learn.'"
Reply 19
Original post by Twinpeaks
For **** sake.

It's not "biology" is psychology. Which you clearly know nothing about it. People stop reducing human behaviour to "biology". It's is far more complex than that. We aren't creatures of instinct.

Men and women have very different amounts of the same hormones, different amounts of brain matter, different sizes on several parts of the brain, different inter and intrahemispheric connectivities and so on. All of these affect human psychology and create very significant gender differences.

Don't come up in my kitchen with that blank slate, social ''science'' marxist weak ass ****...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending